PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How sick was the school of Jones?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How sick was the school of Jones?

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:18 pm

I don't think they quit either. It just might be we are not that talented.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU2007 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:12 pm

We have a roster full of players with next to zero d1 offers. What did we think was going to happen?
SMU2007

Postby stc9 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:22 pm

A friend is the father of a current SMU student. He spoke with a bunch of students on a business trip to Dallas this week. He said their impression was that they were pretty fed up with the state of the program. They also told him they didn't have a lot of faith that SMU would get the next hire right.
Last edited by stc9 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:38 am

SMU2007 wrote:We have a roster full of players with next to zero d1 offers. What did we think was going to happen?

His offensive system was supposed to be an "equalizer" when playing more talented teams.........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby sbsmith » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:48 am

SMU2007 wrote:We have a roster full of players with next to zero d1 offers. What did we think was going to happen?

The practice gurus trusted that the coaches would "coach em up" and that we'd have the "biggest, fastest, strongest" team since the DP. Others knew that our talent level had actually fallen off a cliff and said so frequently.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby TidePony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:19 am

I feel sorry for these kids because the new coach will have to crush some dreams. Never a good thing.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby lwjr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:28 am

TidePony wrote:I feel sorry for these kids because the new coach will have to crush some dreams. Never a good thing.

If some are released hopefully they will be able to,play somewhere else. LB did the same thing and it was ok
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:57 am

PonySnob wrote:

His offensive system was supposed to be an "equalizer" when playing more talented teams.........

That's what Mouse would say... not the case.
GiddyUp

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:54 pm

sbsmith wrote:

The practice gurus trusted that the coaches would "coach em up" and that we'd have the "biggest, fastest, strongest" team since the DP. Others knew that our talent level had actually fallen off a cliff and said so frequently.

Let the season play out just a little bit longer. The added competitiveness of practice is going to get more out of the players, and they might show up and play a little better than you think.,

If we go 0-12, then fine, you guys were all right. I personally still think there is enough talent on a very young team to go .500 in the AAC.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:01 pm

JasonB wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

Let the season play out just a little bit longer. The added competitiveness of practice is going to get more out of the players, and they might show up and play a little better than you think.,

If we go 0-12, then fine, you guys were all right. I personally still think there is enough talent on a very young team to go .500 in the AAC.

You were one of the ones saying this team was the most talented that Jones has had. I like how you go to the extreme (0-12) in order to say this is not a talented team. Suppose they only win 2 or 3 games in the ACC? They don't have to go 0-12 to prove they are not very talented especially as bad as UConn and USF are playing. The new coach is going need 3 or 4 recruiting classes to get the team where it should be talent wise imo. But since your prediction is 4 wins in the AAC we will see how it goes. 4 wins is not very good either by the way.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:03 pm

well I watched many of our next opponents (Cincy, TCU and ECU) in last 24 hours and it will be a miracle to not start 0-6.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:19 pm

JasonB wrote:

Fair enough but where are the 4 wins going to come from? I mean these guys aren't going to magically become talented just because June isn't here anymore. After all June's staff and schemes are still in place.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Every year he says they are young but talented. Kind of giving an excuse for losing. We guess what, UNT was lost a lot of players as well and beat us by 37 points. 3 possible wins are UH, UConn, and USF.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:40 pm

I would be really surprised if this team does not start 0-6. I would not be surprised to see an 0-12 season and I see only 4-5 games on the schedule that I "hope" we have a chance to be competitive in (Memphis, Tulsa, Houston, USF & UConn). If we lose that home game to Memphis, I see no chance of going 4-4 in AAC play.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I would be really surprised if this team does not start 0-6. I would not be surprised to see an 0-12 season and I see only 4-5 games on the schedule that I "hope" we have a chance to be competitive in (Memphis, Tulsa, Houston, USF & UConn). If we lose that home game to Memphis, I see no chance of going 4-4 in AAC play.

I forgot we had Memphis at home. I don't see us going 0-12.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football