PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How sick was the school of Jones?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How sick was the school of Jones?

Postby SMU 86 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Rebel10 wrote: I don't see us going 0-12.

I don't see us going 0-12 because as I have stated, outside a few good teams the AAC is a weak football conference.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:18 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Every year he says they are young but talented. Kind of giving an excuse for losing. We guess what, UNT was lost a lot of players as well and beat us by 37 points. 3 possible wins are UH, UConn, and USF.

That is an absolute lie. Last year I thought we were going to be very good. I had us in the 8-9 win range because of a veteran QB and what I saw of Holman in practice, and the defense was looking good in practice. Obviously, things did not turn out as I had anticipated last year, so I was wrong, but in no way did I say we were young but talented last year.

Going into this year, I had us in 5-7 (I think in one thread I optimistically changed it to a 6-6 record, but my original thought was 5-7).

We didn't win against UNT. I'll stick with my original 4-4 conference record. Memphis, Tulsa, USF, UConn.

I do think there is talent on the team. I do think we have the athleticism to succeed on defense. D-line is fine, LB is okay, although I think Yenga has been shown to be too small to work inside and Bordano doesn't move well enough. I suspect with Horton healthy and the Rice transfer and JUCO getting used to the system we will see some changes there pretty soon. We will get healthy at corner which will help as well. But the defense, of course, hasn't really been the problem this season.

The offensive line at least looked a little capable against UNT, not nearly as bad as they were against Baylor. I do think that the increased competition and speed of practice is going to 1) help the offense get used to the speed of an actual game, and perform better on game day and 2) allow us to better evaluate the talent on the offensive side of the ball and play the guys who are the most talented. Malone and Walker will be starters pretty soon, we get DJ back as well. Malone, walker, Lancaster and DJ aren't the biggest receivers but they are athletic and fast. And I sure get the feeling that Mason won't put up with stupid return decisions from Deion and will yank him from that role if he continues to put us in bad situations offensively. Starting from the 25 instead of the 8 should help a little bit :). And I think the offense is going to be trimmed down and either Davis or Cassell are talented enough to succeed with a trimmed down offense.

According to most of these posts, we only have 2 star recruits that nobody else wanted, plus almost every team in the league is better than UNT, so therefore I was extrapolating that the thought is that we would be 0-12.

Personally, I do think we have some good players on campus. That's why I am throwing my eggs into the "the kids weren't ready to play on gameday because they weren't being challenged in practice enough" bucket. We will see what happens. Obviously, claiming we will finish 4-4 in the AAC isn't exactly claiming we are going to win the national championship. But the way we looked against UNT was the look of an 0-12 team. I just think we are more talented than that, Mason will have the team ready to go, and we will finish .500 in conference.
JasonB

Postby SMU89 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:27 pm

We could go 0-13
SMU89

Postby PonySnob » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:37 am

SMU89 wrote:We could go 0-13

What's the 13th game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby floridianstang » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:32 am

Stop. Talking. About. June. Jones. He's no longer our coach. A lot of people hold him in high regard (and I thank him for 2008-2011) but he cannot sell the program to kids. Jeez the guy puts kids in the nfl but he cannot get good Texas QBs to commit?! Either he lacks balls/confidence or he is lazy.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby soccermom » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:59 am

LAZY & didn't care. I applaud Coach Mason for what he's doing & for having his staff be visible. IMO we were going to be lucky to win 1 game before. I think we will do better now, maybe not by much, but better. I'm just happy, excited & relieved that you know who won't be on our sideline any more.
KICK 'EM MUSTANGS!!!
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 am

floridianstang wrote:Stop. Talking. About. June. Jones. He's no longer our coach. A lot of people hold him in high regard (and I thank him for 2008-2011) but he cannot sell the program to kids. Jeez the guy puts kids in the nfl but he cannot get good Texas QBs to commit?! Either he lacks balls/confidence or he is lazy.

What's you favorite Big 12 school?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMU89 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:56 am

PonySnob wrote:

What's the 13th game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We could find a way to lose an extra.
SMU89

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:03 pm

JasonB wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Every year he says they are young but talented. Kind of giving an excuse for losing. We guess what, UNT was lost a lot of players as well and beat us by 37 points. 3 possible wins are UH, UConn, and USF.

That is an absolute lie. Last year I thought we were going to be very good. I had us in the 8-9 win range because of a veteran QB and what I saw of Holman in practice, and the defense was looking good in practice. Obviously, things did not turn out as I had anticipated last year, so I was wrong, but in no way did I say we were young but talented last year.

Going into this year, I had us in 5-7 (I think in one thread I optimistically changed it to a 6-6 record, but my original thought was 5-7).

We didn't win against UNT. I'll stick with my original 4-4 conference record. Memphis, Tulsa, USF, UConn.

I do think there is talent on the team. I do think we have the athleticism to succeed on defense. D-line is fine, LB is okay, although I think Yenga has been shown to be too small to work inside and Bordano doesn't move well enough. I suspect with Horton healthy and the Rice transfer and JUCO getting used to the system we will see some changes there pretty soon. We will get healthy at corner which will help as well. But the defense, of course, hasn't really been the problem this season.

The offensive line at least looked a little capable against UNT, not nearly as bad as they were against Baylor. I do think that the increased competition and speed of practice is going to 1) help the offense get used to the speed of an actual game, and perform better on game day and 2) allow us to better evaluate the talent on the offensive side of the ball and play the guys who are the most talented. Malone and Walker will be starters pretty soon, we get DJ back as well. Malone, walker, Lancaster and DJ aren't the biggest receivers but they are athletic and fast. And I sure get the feeling that Mason won't put up with stupid return decisions from Deion and will yank him from that role if he continues to put us in bad situations offensively. Starting from the 25 instead of the 8 should help a little bit :). And I think the offense is going to be trimmed down and either Davis or Cassell are talented enough to succeed with a trimmed down offense.

According to most of these posts, we only have 2 star recruits that nobody else wanted, plus almost every team in the league is better than UNT, so therefore I was extrapolating that the thought is that we would be 0-12.

Personally, I do think we have some good players on campus. That's why I am throwing my eggs into the "the kids weren't ready to play on gameday because they weren't being challenged in practice enough" bucket. We will see what happens. Obviously, claiming we will finish 4-4 in the AAC isn't exactly claiming we are going to win the national championship. But the way we looked against UNT was the look of an 0-12 team. I just think we are more talented than that, Mason will have the team ready to go, and we will finish .500 in conference.

Last year I believe you said the D line was inexperienced and some O line members were young. Also nobody has said that SMU only has 2 star recruits that nobody wanted (you seem to like ad absurdum statements). You know good and well we have some 3 star recruits on the team. But I like how you in your attempt to degrade the recruiting sites have tried to make the statement "contrary to wait the recruiting sites says these guys are good." And it now turns they were pretty accurate. Especially when it comes to recruiting players with no offers.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Memphis lost 35-42 to UCLA on the road. I wouldn't pencil in Memphis as a W just yet.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:09 pm

At this point I don't think you can pencil in any win until we get a feel for how this team plays under Mason
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby floridianstang » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:21 pm

lwjr wrote:At this point I don't think you can pencil in any win until we get a feel for how this team plays under Mason

Correct. I am really hoping we come out and fight A&M like Rice did.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:56 am

Rebel10 wrote:The practice gurus trusted that the coaches would "coach em up" and that we'd have the "biggest, fastest, strongest" team since the DP. Others knew that our talent level had actually fallen off a cliff and said so frequently.

I think what has been said is this team is the most athletic we're had in years. They do, IMHO, look a lot more like college players and a lot less like high school players than we have in the past. But even if the measuring tape, stopwatch and scale say they're the "best", it doesn't mean much when you don't have a QB in June's offense. Not to belabor the obvious, but the difference between this year and last is the loss a person who (without the injury) would probably have been the conference offensive MVP and vying for bragging rights as top offense producer in the nation. For the last 12 months, every prognostication for how the team would fare was centered on one point: How much drop off would there be from Gilbert to Burcham? Well, unfortunately, it looks like that question has been answered.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:25 am

PerunaPunch wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:The practice gurus trusted that the coaches would "coach em up" and that we'd have the "biggest, fastest, strongest" team since the DP. Others knew that our talent level had actually fallen off a cliff and said so frequently.

I think what has been said is this team is the most athletic we're had in years. They do, IMHO, look a lot more like college players and a lot less like high school players than we have in the past. But even if the measuring tape, stopwatch and scale say they're the "best", it doesn't mean much when you don't have a QB in June's offense. Not to belabor the obvious, but the difference between this year and last is the loss a person who (without the injury) would probably have been the conference offensive MVP and vying for bragging rights as top offense producer in the nation. For the last 12 months, every prognostication for how the team would fare was centered on one point: How much drop off would there be from Gilbert to Burcham? Well, unfortunately, it looks like that question has been answered.

Sbsmith said that not me. You got your quote edit wrong.

sbsmith wrote:
SMU2007 wrote:We have a roster full of players with next to zero d1 offers. What did we think was going to happen?

The practice gurus trusted that the coaches would "coach em up" and that we'd have the "biggest, fastest, strongest" team since the DP. Others knew that our talent level had actually fallen off a cliff and said so frequently.

But I still don't think that we have the most athletic team especially if you look at the offensive lineman and receivers. One of the main things we are missing from last year is Hal Mumme imo.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby malonish » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am

PonySnob wrote:

What's the 13th game?

The Sacko Bowl.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!