PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chances of us botching this up

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby EconPony'10 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:10 pm

There is no chance that we flub this coaching hire up this time right? Not saying Jones wasn't the right hire last time, but we need the guy who will take us beyond the wall of just being "respectable".

I mean we have enough money and you would think, intelligent enough people to just hit a home run this time around. The timing is great as you look around campus and it is just absolutely gorgeous with new buildings everywhere and SMU has more to offer than ever before. Great TV contracts as well. I think this is the last straw for our FB program as if we don't get it right this time, I don't think we ever will.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Re: Chances of us botching this up

Postby sbsmith » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:20 pm

I wouldn't say no chance (we are SMU after all).
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:37 pm

If we get anyone of the top 3 candidates that are being mentioned we will be okay imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMUer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:42 pm

We have no clear game plan, of course we could muck it up. See: Larry Brown
SMUer

Postby ponyboy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Larry Brown's a great example of there's no way we could screw this up.
ponyboy

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:01 pm

SMUer wrote:We have no clear game plan, of course we could muck it up. See: Larry Brown

How do you know we have no game plan?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby lwjr » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:02 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
SMUer wrote:We have no clear game plan, of course we could muck it up. See: Larry Brown

How do you know we have no game plan?

At least Orsini is not the AD
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby floridianstang » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:10 pm

No offense, but this post seems pretty insecure. Any school can f it up or get it right. We just have to trust SMU will make the best hire like they did with LB.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 pm

As long as Orsini isnt here, maybe we will do this right. Id love to be a fly on the wall at interviews.

How do you plan on selling smu to recruits? What is your recruiting strategy? How would you like to run camps? What will your staff look like? Who will be your DC?
GiddyUp

Postby couch 'em » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:20 pm

What has Hart done wrong yet at SMU? Nothing. Benefit of doubt.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby floridianstang » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 pm

couch 'em wrote:What has Hart done wrong yet at SMU? Nothing. Benefit of doubt.

He's actually nailed it from what I've seen so far. Glad we have him.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby TidePony » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:43 pm

I trust Hart, he's given us no reason not to...
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 pm

My reasoning:

1) It has been awhile since we've heard specifically what "we're committed" means. We were "committed" to winning C-USA and AAC championships in football too but until last week I have neither seen nor heard any earnesty or plan to do it.
2) While Orsini may have botched the basketball search (by spurning our eventual hire and public ally declaring our prospects before they had been vetted), I don't think the sloppiness was just his doing. RGT was closely tied to the search too and if he ok'd those decisions, I have no faith that similar mistakes won't be checked by RGT or if even he might have been an instigator in committing them.

I like Hart and his openness and willingness to communicate on social media, but I feel I have no idea about his future designs for this program (contrast with TCU's del Conte). Has he disappointed? Only in June's extension, for which we all understand his reasons. Still, my experience with Athletics has conditioned me to question whether anybody in that department has any true idea what they are doing.
SMUer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Hart seems like one of those guys that people will [deleted] about until he's leaving, then everyone will cry about him leaving.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:17 pm

SMUer wrote:My reasoning:

1) It has been awhile since we've heard specifically what "we're committed" means. We were "committed" to winning C-USA and AAC championships in football too but until last week I have neither seen nor heard any earnesty or plan to do it.
2) While Orsini may have botched the basketball search (by spurning our eventual hire and public ally declaring our prospects before they had been vetted), I don't think the sloppiness was just his doing. RGT was closely tied to the search too and if he ok'd those decisions, I have no faith that similar mistakes won't be checked by RGT or if even he might have been an instigator in committing them.

I like Hart and his openness and willingness to communicate on social media, but I feel I have no idea about his future designs for this program (contrast with TCU's del Conte). Has he disappointed? Only in June's extension, for which we all understand his reasons. Still, my experience with Athletics has conditioned me to question whether anybody in that department has any true idea what they are doing.

Remind me what is so bad about June's extension? The extension started in 2015, he did not even finish 2014, so he worked zero games of the extended period. Perhaps the language of the extension is part of what let us get rid of him so easily?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football