PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chances of us botching this up

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chances of us botching this up

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:38 pm

100% based on Hayden Fry, Dave Smith, Tom Rossley, Mike Cave in, HasBennett, and now
by undisclosable settlement JJ :!: :!: :!:

Save that :!:

I want to be able to recall it in 4 -7 years when this ad-nauseum sine wave repeats its self for the
7th time :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:42 pm

For all we know the extension said "lose to NTSU and you are gone."
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 pm

You played for Hayden Fry :?: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:54 pm

PlanoStang wrote:100% based on Hayden Fry, Dave Smith, Tom Rossley, Mike Cave in, HasBennett, and now

I want to be able to recall it in 4 -7 years when this ad-nauseum sine wave repeats its self for the

Are you sure it is not a cosine wave?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:56 pm

PlanoStang wrote:You played for Hayden Fry :?: :!:

Is that a question or a statement? Yes I did.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMUstangs22 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:58 pm

No one on this board appreciates math jokes.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:08 pm

PlanoStang wrote:100% based on Hayden Fry, Dave Smith, Tom Rossley, Mike Cave in, HasBennett, and now

Are you hoping they mess up so you can say, "See JJ should not have resigned" or something like that?
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby lwjr » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 pm

SMU 86 wrote:

Are you hoping they mess up so you can say, "See JJ should not have resigned" or something like that?

Why even try to decipher what PS is trying to say?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby SMUer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
SMUer wrote:My reasoning:

1) It has been awhile since we've heard specifically what "we're committed" means. We were "committed" to winning C-USA and AAC championships in football too but until last week I have neither seen nor heard any earnesty or plan to do it.
2) While Orsini may have botched the basketball search (by spurning our eventual hire and public ally declaring our prospects before they had been vetted), I don't think the sloppiness was just his doing. RGT was closely tied to the search too and if he ok'd those decisions, I have no faith that similar mistakes won't be checked by RGT or if even he might have been an instigator in committing them.

I like Hart and his openness and willingness to communicate on social media, but I feel I have no idea about his future designs for this program (contrast with TCU's del Conte). Has he disappointed? Only in June's extension, for which we all understand his reasons. Still, my experience with Athletics has conditioned me to question whether anybody in that department has any true idea what they are doing.

Remind me what is so bad about June's extension? The extension started in 2015, he did not even finish 2014, so he worked zero games of the extended period. Perhaps the language of the extension is part of what let us get rid of him so easily?

I wouldn't renew employment on people of have quit on me. I get the money/contractual strategy, but I would've cut ties with June the minute he quit working and eaten the cost. We weren't and aren't in a position as a program to lull or lose ground. We couldn't afford a throw-away year and I'd argue we have had two.
SMUer

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:No one on this board appreciates math jokes.

I liked it. Nicely done.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby SMU89 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:59 pm

2+2=5

Har
SMU89

Postby freqz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:44 am

No need to send this off on a tangent.
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:03 pm

The big problem I see in this hiring will be the coaches who will not want to take the program because of the NCAA' s terrible decision to let the P5 conferences have the independence to make their own rules. Today there was an ESPN panel that included Mack Brown and they discussed among other things the ability of BYU to make it to the playoffs this year despite the destruction of Texas. Unanimously the panel agreed that if BYU ran the table they would never be considered for the playoffs. The rationale was that they only play 3 P5 schools and those schools are expected to be in the lower half of their conference; therefore they will never have the strength of schedule to be considered. The only way a non-P5 team would ever be considered in the future is if all the P5 teams had at least 2 losses. Further that P5 schools will be forced to quit scheduling non-P5 schools for fear of not having sufficient strength of schedule for playoff consideration. The SEC has already informed their members to discontinue non-P5 scheduling. Hence, in the very near future non-P5 schools will NEVER have the chance to ever have a sufficient schedule to ever be considered for a playoff bid. For the non-P5 schools the future is "Catch 22" according to panelist Robert Smith.

Problem for schools like SMU is that a coach will never be able to ever make the playoffs as they will never have the chance to have the strength of schedule to be considered. Ironically, the past 2 years will probably be the last time we will ever have a national strength of schedule to be considered and we stink. Will top coaching candidates want the SMU job realistically understanding they can never make the playoff as they are currently structured?????? Question for SMU and all other non-P5 schools is what direction and resources do you put into your program knowing you have just had the door slammed in your face??? It will be a slow but steady death over the next 6 years for the non-P5 schools unless the playoff format is drastically changed to include more teams.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:17 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Hart seems like one of those guys that people will [deleted] about until he's leaving, then everyone will cry about him leaving.

I agree. I wish I was more familiar with golf coach situation, but I'm not. That said, I can't see where he has had a misstep. Plus, he seems very interested in alumni/fan relations.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Rayburn » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:04 pm

The coach hiring thing is a crap shoot. See June Jones.
Rayburn
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football