PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anyone else hear the news...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Anyone else hear the news...

Postby Digetydog » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:54 pm

lwjr wrote:
Greenwich Pony wrote:So... cut swimming (a traditionally very strong program) with... baseball? That requires even more land, and has Title IX implications AND we have a tradition of not being successful on the diamond at the varsity level. It's a shame we don't have men's cross country and track too, but we have what we have.

At this juncture, if we have to throw what few other successful sports we offer overboard for football and basketball, then we're not going to be able to hang with the big boys anyway. Either we need to support our existing programs as if we're a worthy Division I school, or we need to consider other options.

And we will continue to buy land, either next to campus or over in Dallas. That process never ends. We may have to go the route of Yale, and locate and buy a "west campus" away from the HP campus for research, storage and programs. But that is a bit off topic.

And just so there is no confusion- I think we can be and should be a Div. I program.

Greenwich Pony what Title IX implications are you referring to? Other than equal sports I'm not up on the rules of title IX

I can answer that one.

If you add a Men's baseball program, you probably (per Title IX) need to add a Women's softball program. To fit field/stadiums for both would take more land than SMU has.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lwjr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 pm

Stallion wrote:In summary, Title IX the number of scholarships given must be relatively proportional to your male/female student profile

That is what I thought. I thought Greenwich might have been referring to another rule of title IX
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Yes, that's was what I was talking about. We'd be ditching two sports: one men's and one women's but to add back baseball requires softball (at least) with separate facilities.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Yes, that's was what I was talking about. We'd be ditching two sports: one men's and one women's but to add back baseball requires softball (at least) with separate facilities.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:29 pm

My most recent information is that the new natatorium will be located south of SMU Blvd. on the east side of North Central. No other decisions have been made re funding or construction. Appears they will build a temporary cover over the out door pool, which is heated, and both teams will use this facility indefinitely.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Smu97186 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Any upgrade in facilities is great for our overall athletic image
Smu97186
Varsity

Postby imisstexas » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:57 pm

For lacrosse you don't need to add facilities. Drop women's crew - add women's lacrosse and eventually mens.
imisstexas

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:08 pm

We need to support swimming (honestly one of the few sports on campus that evoked pride when I attended, and you have to support anyone who organized LAGNAF on a yearly basis until Turner screwed that up) and get mens track and field back. Both historically good programs. And T&F has often been a feeder for football (much more than baseball) when it comes to talent. We have the money...take care of the IPF and swimming, then get T&F back when we can.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:09 am

Pocono - it's coming sooner than that...
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 am

gostangs wrote:Pocono - it's coming sooner than that...

I have no dates or time frames at this time. Hoping to get further information shortly. Still issues with funding.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Planter's Punch » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Adding sports add a large amount of infrastructure cost and more importantly operating cost to SMU's budget. Any sport added or changed takes alumni willing to commit a large amount of capital, and confidence donations will be there to support the sport in the future. That being said, men's track is a sport that can have a huge benefit for football. I know the idea of bringing back track has been kicked around, that is why Margus came to SMU, but does anyone know of any movement on starting back up track?
Planter's Punch
All-American

Previous

Return to Football