PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anyone else hear the news...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Anyone else hear the news...

Postby gostangs » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:15 pm

About a new natatorium finally becoming a reality? I know somewhat OT - but we have some avid swimmers that post on football. Supposedly ready to get started. East campus - but not sure where.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Anyone else hear the news...

Postby ponyswim » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:18 pm

We are not there yet. Hopefully we will be soon.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:24 pm

we need an IPF, not a pool

Wrong forum
GiddyUp

Postby fifty » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:47 pm

I keep holding out hope that we can use the tennis complex as the ipf...
fifty
Heisman

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:28 pm

We need a pool. If we don't keep the swim teams, then we don't have enough varsity programs to stay D-I or FBS or whatever we're trying to stay. And I know they aren't a "revenue sport" but the swim team has had a much better history of competing and winning with less. We ought to support the sports that do well if we can. And in this case we can.

I know we "need" an IPF for recruiting reasons and am not disputing that we probably should spend the money to build one as quickly as possible, but why do football teams really need another practice area? (And I don't just mean us). Seriously, they have their own stadium, isn't "home field advantage" supposed come from playing in your own stadium often?

And maybe it is because it would cost a lot of money, but why can't they build an IPF track or soccer field on the roof? I've seen these at other schools, and I'm sure one of our high-priced architects can design it so it stays Georgian in character. We're getting a little penned-in in terms of open space. Or maybe we can sink it so that the practice field is below grade? Anyway, that's my Friday night rant.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:40 pm

plenty of schools have dropped swimming. Its just a shame we don't have baseball or women's softball.

http://swimswam.com/in-deep-water-the-r ... -programs/

Universities nationwide have been eliminating swimming and diving programs in the last two decades, causing hundreds of student athletes’ careers to come to a screeching halt. Colleges large and small, from NCAA Division I schools to Division III schools, have been affected by this growing trend.

It's a waste of space, especially now that we are land locked with the Bush Library that took all our land.
GiddyUp

Postby SMU89 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Water Pony
SMU89

Postby PK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:55 pm

GiddyUp wrote:plenty of schools have dropped swimming. Its just a shame we don't have baseball or women's softball.

http://swimswam.com/in-deep-water-the-r ... -programs/

Universities nationwide have been eliminating swimming and diving programs in the last two decades, causing hundreds of student athletes’ careers to come to a screeching halt. Colleges large and small, from NCAA Division I schools to Division III schools, have been affected by this growing trend.

It's a waste of space, especially now that we are land locked with the Bush Library that took all our land.
We are not land locked. SMU owns a boat load of property east of Central which truly makes SMU Dallas' Div 1 NCAA school. The new tennis facilities are in Dallas as well as all the other property east of Central.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:52 am

giddy up you realize we own 50 acres east of central - right?

Expect news soon on a pool.
gostangs

Postby sail420s » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:52 am

The new pool is going where Jack's Pub used to be.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:23 am

Greenwich Pony wrote:We need a pool. If we don't keep the swim teams, then we don't have enough varsity programs to stay D-I or FBS or whatever we're trying to stay. And I know they aren't a "revenue sport" but the swim team has had a much better history of competing and winning with less. We ought to support the sports that do well if we can. And in this case we can.

I know we "need" an IPF for recruiting reasons and am not disputing that we probably should spend the money to build one as quickly as possible, but why do football teams really need another practice area? (And I don't just mean us). Seriously, they have their own stadium, isn't "home field advantage" supposed come from playing in your own stadium often?

And maybe it is because it would cost a lot of money, but why can't they build an IPF track or soccer field on the roof? I've seen these at other schools, and I'm sure one of our high-priced architects can design it so it stays Georgian in character. We're getting a little penned-in in terms of open space. Or maybe we can sink it so that the practice field is below grade? Anyway, that's my Friday night rant.

^^^^^^
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby pwnyxpress » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:44 am

I heard they had a very productive summer raising funds to build a new pool. They are only lacking 5 or 6 million of the 16 million needed to begin construction. I also believe the East Campus is 15 acres in size, not 50, isn't it?
pwnyxpress
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:03 am

I had heard that "if the money could be raised" the long term plan was an Olympic Sports complex east of Central
Charleston Pony

Postby floridianstang » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:35 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I had heard that "if the money could be raised" the long term plan was an Olympic Sports complex east of Central

That would be nice. I think SMU will spare no expense with facilities in the future.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:33 am

gostangs wrote:giddy up you realize we own 50 acres east of central - right?

Expect news soon on a pool.

yes, a great place for a baseball field. Have plenty of friends who were swimmers. That's a shame, we need to dump swimming and pick up other sports - check Kansas sports. The article speaks for itself.
GiddyUp

Next

Return to Football