PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anyone else hear the news...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Anyone else hear the news...

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:34 am

PK wrote:
GiddyUp wrote:plenty of schools have dropped swimming. Its just a shame we don't have baseball or women's softball.

http://swimswam.com/in-deep-water-the-r ... -programs/

Universities nationwide have been eliminating swimming and diving programs in the last two decades, causing hundreds of student athletes’ careers to come to a screeching halt. Colleges large and small, from NCAA Division I schools to Division III schools, have been affected by this growing trend.

It's a waste of space, especially now that we are land locked with the Bush Library that took all our land.
We are not land locked. SMU owns a boat load of property east of Central which truly makes SMU Dallas' Div 1 NCAA school. The new tennis facilities are in Dallas as well as all the other property east of Central.

yea, sure...and then what? We need space to expand, Bush killed that.
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby fifty » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:54 am

I don't understand why schools dump sports that they have been dominant in. It would be asinine to dump swimming.
fifty
Heisman

Postby floridianstang » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:01 am

fifty wrote:I don't understand why schools dump sports that they have been dominant in. It would be asinine to dump swimming.

We have no reason to dump swimming, we have money to support the other sports.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:03 am

So... cut swimming (a traditionally very strong program) with... baseball? That requires even more land, and has Title IX implications AND we have a tradition of not being successful on the diamond at the varsity level. It's a shame we don't have men's cross country and track too, but we have what we have.

At this juncture, if we have to throw what few other successful sports we offer overboard for football and basketball, then we're not going to be able to hang with the big boys anyway. Either we need to support our existing programs as if we're a worthy Division I school, or we need to consider other options.

And we will continue to buy land, either next to campus or over in Dallas. That process never ends. We may have to go the route of Yale, and locate and buy a "west campus" away from the HP campus for research, storage and programs. But that is a bit off topic.

And just so there is no confusion- I think we can be and should be a Div. I program.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby SMU 86 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:05 am

I saw some on a tweet from the school not too long ago. Looks like they will break ground pretty soon.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Digetydog » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:So... cut swimming (a traditionally very strong program) with... baseball? That requires even more land, and has Title IX implications AND we have a tradition of not being successful on the diamond at the varsity level. It's a shame we don't have men's cross country and track too, but we have what we have.

At this juncture, if we have to throw what few other successful sports we offer overboard for football and basketball, then we're not going to be able to hang with the big boys anyway. Either we need to support our existing programs as if we're a worthy Division I school, or we need to consider other options.

And we will continue to buy land, either next to campus or over in Dallas. That process never ends. We may have to go the route of Yale, and locate and buy a "west campus" away from the HP campus for research, storage and programs. But that is a bit off topic.

And just so there is no confusion- I think we can be and should be a Div. I program.

One of the guys on my freshman floor was a multi-time All-American in long distance running and/or cross-country. We were pretty successful in track. Although I love baseball, I would love to see Men's track come back first.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:05 pm

commitment to Olympic sports also helps recruit on an international level which is something SMU values. Always nice to advertise you have students from "x" number of states and countries
Charleston Pony

Postby imisstexas » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:09 pm

The sports we need to add are woman's and mens lacrosse. The fastest growing sport in the nation. We need to forget about baseball and softball. Little Leagues across the country have fewer and fewer kids playing. We need to keep swimming and diving and dump women's crew.
imisstexas

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:11 pm

imisstexas wrote:The sports we need to add are woman's and mens lacrosse. The fastest growing sport in the nation. We need to forget about baseball and softball. Little Leagues across the country have fewer and fewer kids playing. We need to keep swimming and diving and dump women's crew.

Agreed, I am all for brining back Men's track/Cross Country. LaCrosse or Womens Field hockey. There are alternatives people...
GiddyUp

Postby lwjr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:So... cut swimming (a traditionally very strong program) with... baseball? That requires even more land, and has Title IX implications AND we have a tradition of not being successful on the diamond at the varsity level. It's a shame we don't have men's cross country and track too, but we have what we have.

Greenwich Pony what Title IX implications are you referring to? Other than equal sports I'm not up on the rules of title IX
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:40 pm

if we add any new sports it will be lacrosse - in fact i would predict we will do so within three years.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:42 pm

In summary, Title IX the number of scholarships given must be relatively proportional to your male/female student profile
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:43 pm

so we just need to not let any chicks in so we can have more sports?
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:46 pm

I think I noticed in the US News Report that it is down to 51% Female/49% Male. I thought it used to be more female
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:47 pm

yes - they are trying not to become too girl heavy like other privates. Baylor and TCU have that issue. And of course with Baylor about 15% of the guys are girls, so that adds to their problem.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Football