PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting Passionate Fans To Lobby President Turner

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Recruiting Passionate Fans To Lobby President Turner

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 am

What do we want - excellence in athletics, a competitive Top25 football team, energized fans in the stands... For a variety of reasons, SMU has failed in this area and to emulate the successful programs of comparable schools such as TCU or Baylor. I also understand the difficulties the administration has encountered.

Having said this, what I would like to see is some unity, and action. People complain, but unless they organize and present a unified front their complaints are for the most part dismissed. I would like to see participation at all levels instead of leaving the influence to the influence peddlers.

I wanted to reach out and see if there were people who would have an interest. It's up to all of you to define the message. I'm not here to tell anyone what to say or do. I think we should have a standing organization where interested fans had the opportunity to communicate with SMU.

Set up a organization, define your goals and develop your message. I have been wrong before, but somehow this makes some sense to me.

I agree with the comments about the "secret society" and perhaps having the general fan base represented might help dispel the rumors and improve communication with SMU. There are facts and issues people will not discuss in the open. That's typical in any political environment and SMU is political. I simply want to try and change the political dynamics, if possible.

In the Pye era we were successful in channeling fan disapproval into action and results. We helped save the program.

One more thought - part of the secrecy problem is encouraged by the management style of President Turner - e.g. AD Orsini's dismissal continues to be the source of constant rumors.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:21 am

CalallenStang wrote:
RyanSMU98 wrote:smumustang1980 give us something other than a phone number to work with and you might get some actual support. Nobody on this board has exactly been shy about sharing opinions with Hart, Turner, et. al., so what message are you trying to send?

He is taking the union method of recruiting members. "Let's be unified in our voice to make management fix things!" It's not until after you join that you know if the union's idea of what should be fixed align with your own

If Stanford can build a competitive program so can SMU. Emulate Stanford. Research what they do right, research TCU and Baylor. Communicate with SMU that we want to see the strategy instead of more press releases from the AD.

No, I don't want a union. All of you are helping us evolve the future group's identity and goals. I think the institutional audit idea from the other post was excellent.

So, what do we want? We want better communication with SMU and a strategy which so far has eluded us.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:37 am

Still Waiting
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:17 am

What do we want?

Brains.

When do we want it?

Brains.

Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:27 am

Outline areas of concern and then you can get people to brainstorm for the solution.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby couch 'em » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 am

Blah blah blah at this point I think the administration policies are not a problem. See: Larry Brown.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:00 am

couch 'em wrote:Blah blah blah at this point I think the administration policies are not a problem. See: Larry Brown.

Not true. Will SMU commit the resources to the football program or do they intend to focus on basketball? I've not heard a strategy articulated from Turner or Hart.
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:58 am

You don't get it. DEFINE THE PROBLEM beyond "we are not a top 25 team." What specifically do we want the administration to do? You don't show up with your mob carrying flaming pitchforks and yell, we suffer from vague discontent! Change something!
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 pm

ponyboy wrote:You don't get it. DEFINE THE PROBLEM beyond "we are not a top 25 team." What specifically do we want the administration to do? You don't show up with your mob carrying flaming pitchforks and yell, we suffer from vague discontent! Change something!

Thank you for the comments. We will work on this.
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby ponydawg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:10 pm

ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:49 pm

all excellent ideas I grew up in New Hampshire When we wanted something done we did it ourselves
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:43 pm

TCU has better administrative support because they they sellout every game on their schedule and they have revenue streams from a BCS conference. You are talking about 35 more million dollars to throw around each and every year. SMU has 1/4th the season ticket holders. This thread should read "President Turner is Recruiting Passionate Fans". I personally think the SMU administration since 2008 and Hart since he was hired rate higher than the largely dormant SMU fanbase which I think is the biggest long term impediment to reaching a P5 conference. SMU is throwing more money into its program than just about non-P5 program. Bottom Line SMU will get the athletic program their alumni and fans are willing to pay for and support. A lot of Big Donors made some pretty big investments in SMU Football and the response from the alumni and fans was minimal
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Mestengo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:15 am

can we just confirm the original posters from New Hampshire please
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:53 am

Mestengo wrote:can we just confirm the original posters from New Hampshire please

He does have the accusatory tone typical of yankees
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby No Quarter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:40 am

I would not support a politician without knowing his stand on issues important to me.

I would not sign a petition with out knowing the content, or a blank check.

One supposes that smumustang1980 has seen some ideas found agreeable from the responses on this thread or received by PM. At the least those that qualify should be published and the list updated as required. People could debate or sign on as desired.

Actually a lot of ideas have been expressed during the almost two years smumustang1980 has posted (at least under that screen name) and, as Alaric noted a white paper could have been offered at the beginning, which would have been preferable.

Until one or the other happens, Stallion spoke for most: "Still Waiting"
No Quarter
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football