PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eric Dickerson Spoke The Truth

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Eric Dickerson Spoke The Truth

Postby stc9 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:24 am

JasonB wrote:However, what we need are the people who actually know details to come forward. We need to push for more transparency from the athletic department. I am willing to increase my donations to the school, but I want to know what the anticipate budget of a top class program is going to look like, so we know what the fundraising goals should be and what happens if there is a shortfall.

Someone wrote a couple of years ago that SMU often behaves as if it is a secret society. They behave as if the fans, alumni and donors have no right to know. My apologies to that person for not remembering who. But this entire thread and countless others slamming the school, the ADs (Hart & Orsini), June Jones and Turner are really a reflection of that. Besides the big, big money donors there are a lot of smaller donors that can aid the school, but we are shut out of the secret society.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 am

ponyte wrote:Whether Turner has great or horrid for SMU football isn't relevant to his job. His job is to run a university not an athletic department which also has a football program. That's the AD's job.

Turner has been in charge with improved academics, building expansion, growth of a huge endowment and improved parking. By any measure he has been a fabulous president.

He is visible on every home game out on the Vard. He is there and you can tell him your thoughts to his face. He is a vary approvable guy.

He listens but it doesn't mean he will do as you ask. I have talked to him more than once abut an IPF (Indoor Party Facility) but we still have to endure the heat and weather on T\the Vard.

It is quite obvious that there is no effective, coherent strategy to develop SMU Football into a competitive Top 25 program. SMU needs to research successful programs such as Stanford, develop a strategy, communicate this to the students, alumni and fans and take action.

President Turner's failure to communicate this through the AD is the source of all our complaints.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:29 am

stc9 wrote:
JasonB wrote:However, what we need are the people who actually know details to come forward. We need to push for more transparency from the athletic department. I am willing to increase my donations to the school, but I want to know what the anticipate budget of a top class program is going to look like, so we know what the fundraising goals should be and what happens if there is a shortfall.

Someone wrote a couple of years ago that SMU often behaves as if it is a secret society. They behave as if the fans, alumni and donors have no right to know. My apologies to that person for not remembering who. But this entire thread and countless others slamming the school, the ADs (Hart & Orsini), June Jones and Turner are really a reflection of that. Besides the big, big money donors there are a lot of smaller donors that can aid the school, but we are shut out of the secret society.

You are correct. Our musings are a reflection of the SMU culture.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:30 am

oh that's "quite obvious" huh? You say absolutely nothing with such convictions you probably don't realize you are full of [deleted]

I guess hiring the National Coach of the Year and exploding the salary structure of college coaching was no strategy. I'm one of the few that did not want June Jone but I recognized the commitment
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:39 am

Stallion wrote:oh that's "quite obvious" huh? You say absolutely nothing with such convictions you probably don't realize you are full of [deleted]

You discredit yourself.
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 am

And you have a burden of persuasion if you want to indict the SMU President.

You failed. You've got nuthin' and every time you write another message you display quite clearly that you have no grasp of the issues or the facts. If there were a problem you'd definitely be the wrong person to lead that group. You can't even articulate what the problems are.

Its guys like you that keep this myth alive that SMU can't compete because of the admission standards that have long since been changed. That perception hurts SMU much more than any more remaining barriers

So again I'll ask you what are the problems and what are the issues and solutions???
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 am

Stallion wrote:And you have a burden of persuasion if you want to indict the SMU President.

You failed. You've got nuthin' and every time you write another message you display quite clearly that you have no grasp of the issues or the facts. If there were a problem you'd definitely be the wrong person to lead that group. You can't even articulate what the problems are.

Its guys like you that keep this myth alive that SMU can't compete because of the admission standards that have long since been changed. That perception hurts SMU much more than any more remaining barriers

Why all of the anger and hatred?

As for leading groups, I did quite well against Ken Pye.

I am sorry that you cannot have a civil discussion with people.
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am

ED was working off of 7 year old information apparently. We now have athlete friendly majors, easier admissions, fewer handcuffs on recruiting (simply follow NCAA rules), one of the best coaching pay structures for a school our size, so where did our administration fail to support June Jones. If you want to say that the Football Program was in a hole too deep to ever recover from, you might be right. But Jones got us to multiple bowl games, yet never turned the corner, like he did in Hawaii? Was that because of lack of support? Or because he mailed it in? Or because he never recruited the one QB he really needed to have his RNS offense succeed? If it was because of lack of support of the program, then I'd agree with Stallion, what didn't we do that had we done for him would have allowed us to turn the corner and still comply with NCAA rules? If you don't know the answer to that question, then your opinion is really devoid of substance and ED was simply in error in his statements. As to sending his nephew to A&M. I was always told "don't let your sons grow up to be Aggies".
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:02 am

Mustang80,

I'm certain you are passionate about SMU athletics, but Stallion is 100% correct, after multiple requests from various posters you have articulated nothing other than this generic comment from an early post you wrote.

"We need unequivocal support from SMU's President."

Hey guess what, Turner has already done this. He and Copeland at Moody. It was called 'The Commitment'. Look how far that got us. So sure, if you want Turner to give you his unequivocal support for SMU athletics, I'm sure he will.

The fact that you are still not laying out a specific plan is probably why you are getting such little traction.
SoCal_Pony

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:10 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:Mustang80,

I'm certain you are passionate about SMU athletics, but Stallion is 100% correct, after multiple requests from various posters you have articulated nothing other than this generic comment from an early post you wrote.

"We need unequivocal support from SMU's President."

Hey guess what, Turner has already done this. He and Copeland at Moody. It was called 'The Commitment'. Look how far that got us. So sure, if you want Turner to give you his unequivocal support for SMU athletics, I'm sure he will.

The fact that you are still not laying out a specific plan is probably why you are getting such little traction.

This is the beginning of a discussion. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:28 am

Butts in the Stands wrote:Regardless of all of the stuff you mention, let's focus simply on June Jones. He seemed to be engaged and committed to turning around SMU right up until he decided to bolt for ASU. Since then he has basically mailed it in. I won't repeat all of the evidence here but it's certainly out there for those willing to look for the truth. As a result, there are 2 phases to the JJ era at SMU. I think the issue is that some, such as ED, seem to focus only on the first and ignore the second. Those who are not wearing the rose-colored glasses recognize the existence of the second phase. In all fairness, ED has a personal relationship with JJ and was instrumental in SMU landing him. So it's not difficult to see why ED takes this personally. That said, if he steps back to honestly assesses the situation he can't help but recognize the truth. Let's give credit to JJ - he did what probably no one else could do - he brought SMU back to respectability. But that does not give him a free pass for what happened after ASU. (side note: art of the blame, however, lies with SMU. Instead of firing him then, we welcomed him back with open arms, maybe because we didn't think we could find anyone better. That is our fault - if coach doesn't want to be here, then we shouldn't want him either.) Nevertheless, after ASU he was not engaged. So while I, for one, appreciate what he accomplished early in his tenure at SMU, it was long past time to move on. Again, we can debate whether SMU cares about football, whether Turner cares, whatever, but the facts about JJ are pretty clear for those willing to take an honest look

CORRECTION: After ASU June wasn't mailing it in, he was phoning it in. Mailing it in would have required finding a stamp and walking to the mailbox.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:44 am

Max,

That is the Company line, JJ mailed it in after ASU.

I kinda disagree. To some degree, JJ always mailed it in why he was here. Remember the threads about why doesn't JJ hire a Texas-Klemm. Really ridiculous when you think about it.

No real emphasis on Texas recruiting, sure......that's the ticket.
SoCal_Pony

Previous

Return to Football