PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thinking better about 4th downs

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thinking better about 4th downs

Postby SMU » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 pm

SMU

Re: Thinking better about 4th downs

Postby couch 'em » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:11 am

Very neat
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BigT3x » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:31 am

Love this video about a HS team that never punts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDaOJAYHfo
BigT3x
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:39 am

That team is in an expensive, very fine, private school in Little Rock, grades K thru 12.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby No Quarter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Arkpony wrote:That team is in an expensive, very fine, private school in Little Rock, grades K thru 12.

OT, but as I mentioned in a previous thread, Pulaski Academy played in Dallas a couple of weeks back and lost to HP 42 - 48 after being ahead by two touchdowns in the first half. The Pulaski QB, Hefley I think is his name, passed for more than 400 yards in that game. A long time HP observer (former HP player who coached in that system) who was in SMU at the same time we were told me that Hefley reminded of Matthew Stafford as a HS senior although his arm is not as strong.

On offense Pulaski certainly compared with the Aledo team that beat HP badly in an early game in 2013.

I wonder who is recruiting Hefley.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:07 pm

HP is stacked this year. Let's see how the bump in level affects them.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby No Quarter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:20 pm

ponyboy wrote:HP is stacked this year. Let's see how the bump in level affects them.

I don't know if the WIKIPEDIA has been changed or not. Earlier this year it said, maybe tongue in cheek about HP, that the UIL kept the 4A enrollment limit just a few students more than the projected numbers there.

But yes, HP will be competitive but probably not so much so as was thought a year ago.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:34 pm

No Quarter wrote:
ponyboy wrote:HP is stacked this year. Let's see how the bump in level affects them.

I don't know if the WIKIPEDIA has been changed or not. Earlier this year it said, maybe tongue in cheek about HP, that the UIL kept the 4A enrollment limit just a few students more than the projected numbers there.

But yes, HP will be competitive but probably not so much so as was thought a year ago.

I thought I saw HP is around 100 kids or less over the 4A, now 5A limit. So they are one of the smallest 6A schools in the state.
When I was playing for HP in the late seventies we were one of the smaller 5A schools(largest classification at that time) and we held our own.
It will be interesting to see how they do year in year out in 6A.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby docabel » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Limit for the new 5A is 2099 students.

HP came in at 3006 - 7 over the limit.

The HP-Pulaski game was entertaining. Their QB was bigger than Stafford. Easily stood 6'4", but not much force behind his balls.

I think the "no punt" rigidity lost the game for them as they went from up 14 late in the first half to down 7 at halftime by going for it twice inside their own 30 with more than 10 yards to go twice in the last 5 minutes of the first half.
docabel
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:51 pm

docabel wrote:Limit for the new 5A is 2099 students.

The HP-Pulaski game was entertaining. Their QB was bigger than Stafford. Easily stood 6'4", but not much force behind his balls.

I think the "no punt" rigidity lost the game for them as they went from up 14 late in the first half to down 7 at halftime by going for it twice inside their own 30 with more than 10 yards to go twice in the last 5 minutes of the first half.

I am little surprised HP did not try to obtain a waiver from the UIL so they could stay in the 5A classification. Maybe they did and I did not read about it.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Harry0569 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Be sure to follow the 4th down bot on twitter. it's great.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby No Quarter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:55 pm

docabel wrote:Limit for the new 5A is 2099 students.

Well, more OT. One UIL related website gives HP enrollment as 2106, not 3006, and the "seven over" comment is correct with a 2099 limit. But yes, they are one of the smaller schools in 6A and especially compared to the Plano schools and others which are over twice as large. That was true years ago when there was one HS in Plano and it was 4A. The intent of the realignment seems to have been to equalize the number of schools in some of the conferences with lesser enrollment where the disparity is 2:1 or less and where there are Division I and II playoffs. 6A, on the other hand, includes the largest 220 to 245 HS in the state per the constitution. 1A with eleven man and six man options has has wildly different limits for the several categories.

I think some expected a super class such as may exist in some other states but that did not happen in Texas.

The Pulaski Academy WIKI article says they very, very rarely punt no matter the circumstance and did they not convert eight of eleven times on 4th down against HP?

And yeah, the 4th down website mentioned by Harry0569 is interesting.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:40 pm

they were interesting. Hefley their QB is committed to Tulsa. Some linebacker on HP got a pick six on him, can't recall who. Early in the game though, HP's offense gave away two uncharacteristic turnovers that left their defense on the field way too long against that crazy offense on a hot night. But HP scored 34 straight points in the middle of the game including the pick six. Pulaski then scored a few late in the game to close the gap and make it interesting. I wouldn't call it garbage time, but it was more 'prevent time' when they scored again. They are dangerous though, not sure there is much upside in scheduling them.
Hoop Fan

Postby SMU » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:22 pm

C'mon give a newbie credit - I discovered the 4th bot site.
SMU

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:03 am

lwjr wrote:I am little surprised HP did not try to obtain a waiver from the UIL so they could stay in the 5A classification. Maybe they did and I did not read about it.

Single school ISDs can't objection to their class. District wise they could've tried, but they're in one of the easiest districts in the states out side of having to play Mesquite Horn.
Mustangs35SMU

Next

Return to Football