PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tim Davis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tim Davis

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:13 pm

JasonB wrote:Great move by Mason. The OL needed help. Suan was praised by players during the bowl prep, and they looked better than they had all season at that game. But the line has really struggled this year obviously. We already have an RB coach, where does Suan go? Maybe he helps out with QB and Morrisson goes upstairs during the game and really serves as an OC.

The best they looked that year was against TCU not against a Pitt team that had lost most of their coaching staff to ASU. Suan obviously was not as good as Klemm like you and a couple of others made it out to be.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lwjr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Why was he unemployed?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Tim Davis

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:Great move by Mason. The OL needed help. Suan was praised by players during the bowl prep, and they looked better than they had all season at that game. But the line has really struggled this year obviously. We already have an RB coach, where does Suan go? Maybe he helps out with QB and Morrisson goes upstairs during the game and really serves as an OC.

The best they looked that year was against TCU not against a Pitt team that had lost most of their coaching staff to ASU.

Why are you so focused on how they looked in particular games three years ago? They have been terrible this year obviously.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 pm

lwjr wrote:Why was he unemployed?

He was at Florida last year. They laid off a couple of their offensive coaches after their disappointing season.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Looks like we have enough money to hire another coach in the budget. I would not be surprised to see other hires made.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Tim Davis

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:36 pm

SMU 86 wrote:Looks like we have enough money to hire another coach in the budget. I would not be surprised to see other hires made.

I think we have as many coaches as we are allowed to. June left which gave us an open slot, which has now been filled. Unless someone else leaves (which is obviously possible) I do not think we can hire anyone else.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:Looks like we have enough money to hire another coach in the budget. I would not be surprised to see other hires made.

I think we have as many coaches as we are allowed to. June left which gave us an open slot, which has now been filled. Unless someone else leaves (which is obviously possible) I do not think we can hire anyone else.

Phillips ready to leave yet? Would immediately give another shot in the arm to player moral, as well as move us another step away from the R&S.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:52 pm

Suan may be a nice guy but the O lineman had nothing they could learn from him about playing O line.
gostangs

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Seems like a good move to get help to a position that has really struggled and being in a change. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Glad to see Mason is making moves (and has the funding) to salvage the season, and more importantly help the players.

Special teams could use a jolt as well.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Good point. I wonder if money was made available as a result of June leaving. Meaning some of the CoC were restricting the assistant coach budget because June was going after his own guys and stayed too loyal to those guys instead of it being restricted which forced June to go after his own guys. It is my understanding that there was a restriction in the assistant pay, though.
JasonB

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:21 pm

JasonB wrote:

Good point. I wonder if money was made available as a result of June leaving. Meaning some of the CoC were restricting the assistant coach budget because June was going after his own guys and stayed too loyal to those guys instead of it being restricted which forced June to go after his own guys. It is my understanding that there was a restriction in the assistant pay, though.

Don't think there were any lifted restrictions outside of what other schools pay assistants nor anything that stopped June from hiring better coaches. We just had a slot open up and hired an another unemployed coach without Texas ties. Usual stuff.

SMU 86

Postby Digetydog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:47 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
JasonB wrote:

Don't think there were any lifted restrictions outside of what other schools pay assistants nor anything that stopped June from hiring better coaches. We just had a slot open up and hired an another unemployed coach without Texas ties. Usual stuff.

Under Mason's circumstances, it was a great hire.
- Davis gets a paycheck and back in the game.
- SMU probably got the best guy available (unemployed) to help with the OL.

If by some miracle Mason is going to keep the HC job, good OL play is a must.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:51 pm

He got available guy that he knew not necessarily the best available. But it can't get too much worse. Should be fun to see how the play.

SMU 86

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 pm

SMU 86 wrote:He got available guy that he knew not necessarily the best available. But it can't get too much worse. Should be fun to see how the play.

Who is the best available?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:He got available guy that he knew not necessarily the best available. But it can't get too much worse. Should be fun to see how the play.

Who is the best available?

I second that. Pretty good hire on a short term basis to try and do something with an underperforming area of the team.

As for the budget, they are paying June the rest of this season. That means someone probably donated a little extra money in order to fill out the coaching staff. Especially for someone who was at a big school instead of paying small bucks for a grad assistant to take the extra coaching spot.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Football