PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tim Davis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tim Davis

Postby PonyKai » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:45 pm

It seems noteworthy that (1) Mason, in his first few days as interim HC, goes out and hires a new coach to make immediate improvement; and (2) someone holding the purse strings welcomed it.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 pm

JasonB wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:He got available guy that he knew not necessarily the best available. But it can't get too much worse. Should be fun to see how the play.

Who is the best available?

I second that. Pretty good hire on a short term basis to try and do something with an underperforming area of the team.

As for the budget, they are paying June the rest of this season. That means someone probably donated a little extra money in order to fill out the coaching staff. Especially for someone who was at a big school instead of paying small bucks for a grad assistant to take the extra coaching spot.

Do we really know if it is a good hire yet? Probably need to tap the breaks on this being some super duper hire yet because the team has not played a game to show one way or the other. And he was unemployed not at a big school so it probably did not cost too much money.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyswim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Get serious now. It is a good hire when you hire the best person you can, to help with the biggest problem you have - the Oline. He knows Mason, what is a plus.
It is great that the school came up with some money.
Our Oline may or may not greatly improve, but if you hire the best person you can under the circumstances,
someone with a pretty qualified history, in my world that is a good hire. Have 2 people work with the 15 plus OL guys has to be a help.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:[quote="SMU 86"]He got available guy that he knew not necessarily the best available. But it can't get too much worse. Should be fun to see how the play.

Who is the best available?

I second that. Pretty good hire on a short term basis to try and do something with an underperforming area of the team.

As for the budget, they are paying June the rest of this season. That means someone probably donated a little extra money in order to fill out the coaching staff. Especially for someone who was at a big school instead of paying small bucks for a grad assistant to take the extra coaching spot.

Do we really know if it is a good hire yet? Probably need to tap the breaks on this being some super duper hire yet because the team has not played a game to show one way or the other. And he was unemployed not at a big school so it probably did not cost too much money.[/quote]
I look forward to you telling everyone to hold off on having an opinion on the head coach hire until the team plays a game to show one way or another.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:49 am

Grant Carter wrote: I look forward to you telling everyone to hold off on having an opinion on the head coach hire until the team plays a game to show one way or another.

I just don't know anything about him one way or the other. When Palcic was hired I said that it was not a good hire because we had some background on him and sure enough he did not last over a year. If I have background info on the new coach I will say if I think it is a good or not so good hire. If I have no info on the coach like this one then I will take another wait and see approach. I think Rossely was a good hire as I have info on his background. Based on the background I know about Tom Rossely, I think that was a good hire by Mason.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Digetydog » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:21 am

Grant Carter wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:I second that. Pretty good hire on a short term basis to try and do something with an underperforming area of the team.

Do we really know if it is a good hire yet? Probably need to tap the breaks on this being some super duper hire yet because the team has not played a game to show one way or the other. And he was unemployed not at a big school so it probably did not cost too much money.

I look forward to you telling everyone to hold off on having an opinion on the head coach hire until the team plays a game to show one way or another.

There are no miracles to be had. The talent is what it is. But, Mason has tried to bring in help for make the most of what we have. Davis and Rossley show he is trying his best. That is more than June ever did.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby San Antonio Mustang » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 am

I had never heard of Tim Davis until yesterday, but I am impressed by his resume. He has coached the OL for many years including at programs who could hire anyone they wanted. Who else on our staff has coached their position at two different perennial nationally ranked colleges and a pro team? I don't think we have anyone else with those credentials. That does not mean he will be with us for the long term, but then there is probably no one on the staff that will be with us past this year. I don't know if he can help our OL, but I would guess he knows a lot more about line play then a running back coach.
San Antonio Mustang
All-American

Postby soccermom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Seriously, some are wondering if this is a good hire? I feel that any change, at this time, is a positive one. You know, when you're on the bottom of the pile there's no place to go but up. FINALLY, the HC is actually trying to make changes that he thinks need to be changed ASAP. Good for him and I might be totally wrong, but I won't be surprised to see some spark from our team that we've been missing for a few years.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Watch the video interview. Sounds like he brings loads of enthusiasm and energy, and a resume a mile long. I'm cautiously excited about him.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:35 pm

GrapevineMustang wrote:Watch the video interview. Sounds like he brings loads of enthusiasm and energy, and a resume a mile long. I'm cautiously excited about him.

Corso, it that you?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Coach Davis is "wide open", ya know what I'm saying?
Charleston Pony

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Coach Davis is "wide open", ya know what I'm saying?
nttiawwt
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby SMU2007 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:33 pm

footballdad wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:Looks like we have enough money to hire another coach in the budget. I would not be surprised to see other hires made.

I think we have as many coaches as we are allowed to. June left which gave us an open slot, which has now been filled. Unless someone else leaves (which is obviously possible) I do not think we can hire anyone else.

Phillips ready to leave yet? Would immediately give another shot in the arm to player moral, as well as move us another step away from the R&S.

Is there any more info out there about Phillips and why the players dislike him? I am in the dark on this and curious. All i've noticed is that he gave up on recruiting when he left UH.
SMU2007

Postby PSCA » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:01 pm

What I have heard ... a lot of coaches can be tuff, that's football. I have heard he can be demeaning ... tear you down and never build you back up kind of tuff. Make you feel like a PS and worthless. Once in awhile ... no big deal ... a regular and daily dose of it ...... well. Which is odd, because that was not JJ's style, and no other coach on the staff is really that way. Coach Knight was intense and could call you out, but he would bring you back. This is what I have heard from many players over the years.

I always thought he was a little miffed that Sumlin did not take him to A&M and/or he was not offered the UH job.
PSCA
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Davis is for sure a good hire - because it is impossible for him to not be better than Suan, and that is our postion of greatest coaching need.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Football