PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN: SMU at crossroads moment with football

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN: SMU at crossroads moment with football

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 pm

“@dallasnews: Has SMU reached that crossroads moment in football quest? @MikeHashimoto says yes http://d-news.co/Bww4B”
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: DMN: SMU at crossroads moment with football

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:34 pm

That is a pretty spot on assessment of the future of college football for the non P5 programs. There will probably be 15 or 20 of the these non P5 football programs that have to drop football or go down to Div 1AA to stay afloat financially. Is SMU one of these programs? I don't know. But if I had to bet I'd say the odds of SMU playing football "at the highest level" in 10 years is pretty low. Maybe 30%.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby GiddyUp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:37 pm

depressing but true
GiddyUp

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:42 pm

I've said for a while it's too late. We simply didn't make the right moves in a timely manner, and now it's done. I guess there's always a chance for a miracle but if you're being realistic, we got to accept our fate. We need to put a majority of our resources in basketball.

LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:45 pm

it depends on if you think the P-5 has all the members it wants. I think they have drawn the line too small - and they will realize they need some more W's to make it work. They will 100% for sure expand the playoff once they realize the effect of one of the five on the outside looking in. if they stay with 5 conferences it will be important for them to be equal in size.

If this goes to slightly bigger leagues we have a decent shot of making the cut - due to Dallas, our business community, and our other resources. We will happily participate in the arms race at least until then. Paying players 2,000 a month stipends? You must be joking if you think that is a big issue.
gostangs

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Better scratch Chad Morris, David Beaty, Spavital Norvell and the other interested DC/OC candidates.

In one week, the gang of 30 has gone from arguing over the next hot up and coming coach to deciding football isn't worth it.

Which is it, guys?
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ponydawg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:47 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I've said for a while it's too late. We simply didn't make the right moves in a timely manner, and now it's done. I guess there's always a chance for a miracle but if you're being realistic, we got to accept our fate. We need to put a majority of our resources in basketball.

So if your were the AD would you advise not to pay 2 million a year for the next head coach and pay 600k instead? Not judging, just curious. I think I would make one last push, even though it is a hail marry.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:47 pm

This guy was stupid enough to buy the JJ is a genius line, so I am not sure he is the authority on this. I know this - we aint giving up.
gostangs

Postby crazy horse » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Does he teach Spanish at SMU?

What great advice - quit. Everyone knows that is the secret to success.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:55 pm

ponydawg wrote:So if your were the AD would you advise not to pay 2 million a year for the next head coach and pay 600k instead? Not judging, just curious. I think I would make one last push, even though it is a hail marry.

I would absolutely try to sell the C of C on paying the best guy available. Hart has to try for the Hail Mary. It's his only option. Even though I believe what I posted, a large majority of SMU followers/donors still think we can get in and if Hart came out with my opinion he would be fired today.

LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Nothing has really changed for SMU. We need Football to remain competitive to retain our standing with a decent AAC Basketball league. I don't see any other major Independent Basketball only leagues. There is some possibility that the AAC can earn some measure of economic viability
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 pm

BIGPonyFan wrote:Better scratch Chad Morris, David Beaty, Spavital Norvell and the other interested DC/OC candidates.

In one week, the gang of 30 has gone from arguing over the next hot up and coming coach to deciding football isn't worth it.

Which is it, guys?

Sic 'em!

LA_Mustang

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Ridiculous and small-minded. I get why fans would feel it's a lost cause: either you're "right" or you don't care that you were wrong! SMU shouldn't expect an invite any time soon, but it's amazing beyond words that a fan base with quite literally the best position for a P5 spot to fold his/her cards because the path isn't cushy and clear.

SMU will have to get of it's can and get going though...
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby floridianstang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:01 pm

If we drop to FCS Football I am done donating and buying tickets to any sport at SMU. I will become pro sports only so I don't feel any pain.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby SMUPhil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm pretty confident that the conference realignment dust hasn't settled for good yet. I think that still gives a few attractive teams a chance to get plucked. Keep in mind it's not about "earning" your spot at the table through championships, it's about what you can offer. Rutgers and Maryland to the B1G made no sense whatsoever, especially to a super traditional conference. But, in the same vein, SMU offers Dallas, which is huge for recruiting AND a viewer market. Sure the Big XII has the area covered pretty well, but not so much for the other conferences. Outside of the SEC with aTm, I'd bet there would be at least some interest from the other conferences for a Texas team.

I'm not saying or even believing that any of this actually plays out in our favor, but I have to think there's a small chance that SMU makes it.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Next

Return to Football