PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN: SMU at crossroads moment with football

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: DMN: SMU at crossroads moment with football

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:10 pm

He said absolutely not one thing that hasn't already been said here 1000 times. Just cause he writes for the morning news doesn't make him connected or more knowledgable about our situation or the future of college football. Some scrub writer has no real idea how things will play out. Nobody really knows how the conference realignment will ultimately play out, and I am sure as heck sure Mike Hashimoto has no idea based on anything other than his opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.

His article is just more of the same. Why don't we wait as see who we hire and how that changes the direction of the program. Most here thought that if June left we would be labeled a coaching graveyard and that we would not even be able to find a coach who would be interested. That hasn't happened, so how the hell are we going to predict where we fit in realignment especially given our recent turnaround of our b ball program.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby floridianstang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:10 pm

We have to prove our viability by delivering ratings. And the way we deliver ratings is by fielding a team people respect...no conference will add a joke team, we need to get the right man in the job, we need to recruit and we need to win. The stadium will take a bit to sell out but it can be done. Take care of the essentials and what we can control and the rest will figure itself out.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:14 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:Better scratch Chad Morris, David Beaty, Spavital Norvell and the other interested DC/OC candidates.

In one week, the gang of 30 has gone from arguing over the next hot up and coming coach to deciding football isn't worth it.

Which is it, guys?

How many people have you labeled as being part of the gang of 30? Has to be more than 30 by now.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:15 pm

If anybody thinks the conference realignment dust has settled they are lying to themselves. Texas is foaming at the mouth to go to the PAC 12 and WILL find a way to get there. OU is going to do everything to go with them, and OSU is going to do anything they can to go with them. That's only the first scenario for completely rewriting the region.

The hill is going to get a little steeper, that's for sure, but this isn't exactly over. And by the way, $2000/year for even 100 scolarships is only $200,000/year - we probably aren't going to pay the new coach anywhere near $2M. Anybody think SMU will have a problem paying athletes legitimate money?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
B1GPonyFan wrote:Better scratch Chad Morris, David Beaty, Spavital Norvell and the other interested DC/OC candidates.

In one week, the gang of 30 has gone from arguing over the next hot up and coming coach to deciding football isn't worth it.

Which is it, guys?

How many people have you labeled as being part of the gang of 30? Has to be more than 30 by now.

It's like the Big 12 doesn't have 12 members anymore. There was realignment in the Big Gang.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby floridianstang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:18 pm

ESPN talked about SMU a ton during this weekend's games. They know we are a hot topic and if successful have the same kind of impact as other small privates with success a la Stanford, USC, Baylor and TCU. It may seem like the end but I can assure you realignment is far from over. SMU needs to make sure it is on the right side of the line when the next round comes in which will most likely be in 2025 or so when B12 and others renegotiate their TV deals. By the way AAC renegotiated in 2019, so who knows if we start getting more cash than right now.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:21 pm

malonish wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:

Which is it, guys?

It's like the Big 12 doesn't have 12 members anymore. There was realignment in the Big Gang.

Good point. I guess I am just a traditionalist. Need to get with the times.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:27 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Ridiculous and small-minded. I get why fans would feel it's a lost cause: either you're "right" or you don't care that you were wrong! SMU shouldn't expect an invite any time soon, but it's amazing beyond words that a fan base with quite literally the best position for a P5 spot to fold his/her cards because the path isn't cushy and clear.

SMU will have to get of it's can and get going though...

I hope that is the case. I disagree that we are in the best position for a p5 spot. What are you basing that on?? SMU is a GREAT school but we have over 20 years of terrible fan support and a small student body. Look at the infamous UCF game in 2011 when we came into the game 4-1, coming off the huge upset of TCU and our first bowl win in 25 years, we maybe had 10,000 show up at Ford. Many people claim JJ never got over that, and it's hard to blame him. At that time we were rolling, led by a coach with as high of a public opinion as SMU will ever have. I'm not sure why anyone should believe fan apathy will ever change when it comes to SMU football.

As for being in the best position to move up to P5, are you basing that on quality of school and location? Can't Rice, Tulane and Temple make that same claim. Or public schools with great attendance and a large student body in UCF, San Diego St. And ECU?
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby jimhagle » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:28 pm

if we can do what TCU has done then anything can happen. That is a big if of course.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Mustang75 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Stallion wrote:Nothing has really changed for SMU. We need Football to remain competitive to retain our standing with a decent AAC Basketball league. I don't see any other major Independent Basketball only leagues. There is some possibility that the AAC can earn some measure of economic viability

I whole heartedly agree
Mustang75
Varsity

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Maybe he is right, and no one can say that we are not late to the party. we had our chance (multiple chances) to get this straight and we missed so many times at the plate, I don't know how many times we struck out.

However, I don't think the realignment is done, and I don't think anyone could have predicted the realignment that took place. Who would have thought Rutgers would be in the B10? and who would have thought that the BE would have fallen apart as it did. Who in their right mind 14 years ago woud have thought tcu was going to be part of the b12 or that Baylor would be a top 10 team right now? If you did, you're a lot smarter than the rest of us.

I do think that based on our history, potential and what we have to offer being in Dallas (if we get our act together with the right coach), we can be a very attractive opportunity, and a better opportunity than the mid to lower teams currently in the P5. We don't have to compete to be in the top 20 in the national media. We have to try to be more attractive than other programs they currently have. At the end of the day, it's all about the mighty dollar, and we have to demonstrate we can generate and bring the marketing and brand to make that worthwhile.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:38 pm

I could be wrong but I believe this guy used to cover June in Hawaii and is a June fan.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Realignment within the P5 is definitely going to change but with the exception of BYU and ND, the members won't.
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I could be wrong but I believe this guy used to cover June in Hawaii and is a June fan.

He has worked for the Dallas Morning News for 20 years. When did he cover June in Hawaii and what makes you think he is a June fan?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I could be wrong but I believe this guy used to cover June in Hawaii and is a June fan.

He has worked for the Dallas Morning News for 20 years. When did he cover June in Hawaii and what makes you think he is a June fan?

When June got here I thought I remember reading an article from one of the Hawaii papers in which he authored. Like I said I could be wrong.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football