PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

O'Leary - June not happy with SMU @ Media Day

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

O'Leary - June not happy with SMU @ Media Day

Postby ponydawg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:31 pm

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/George-OLeary-June-Jones-was-bothered-by-some-rules-at-SMU-31206493

O’Leary said, “How surprised? Well, I was. I spoke to June at media days in Newport. I haven’t spoken to June since, but I think something was going on that he just didn’t understand or like as far as the school with some rules that they had there, but I’m not really at liberty to talk about because I’m not sure what they were. But I knew there were some things that were bothering him at that time.”

I wonder if the school rule was that he had to recruit....that would pissss off just about any coach.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: O'Leary - June not happy with SMU @ Media Day

Postby floridianstang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:37 pm

ponydawg wrote:http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/George-OLeary-June-Jones-was-bothered-by-some-rules-at-SMU-31206493

O’Leary said, “How surprised? Well, I was. I spoke to June at media days in Newport. I haven’t spoken to June since, but I think something was going on that he just didn’t understand or like as far as the school with some rules that they had there, but I’m not really at liberty to talk about because I’m not sure what they were. But I knew there were some things that were bothering him at that time.”

I wonder if the school rule was that he had to recruit....that would pissss off just about any coach.

Spot on.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:42 pm

You are June and you have a carefully crafted "I am a genius coach" reputation - and you look up and due to your own negligence you have inferior talent and 0-12 facing you. What must you do? Blame the school. Most people wont do the research to determine that it is full of [deleted] - since they don't really care and it fits the preconceived notion of SMU as a great academic school that wont do what needs to be done to compete. Big problem - Larry Brown showed up and shot a hole in this argument.

This will creep out more over the next few weeks through Steinbergs portals. They have to get June a new job and this is the only way. Rick is going to have to do something to counter it - to keep our menu of coaches as full as possible.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:42 pm

It is amazing that there is all this suspicion about the SMU Administration and holding June back. If there is any truth to that I fully believe it would have come out by now. This is getting ridiculous.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Well, some people expected JJ to dump on SMU via his agent and so on, and coaching friends are probably another example. The observation by O'Leary has about as little content as any on this subject. O'Leary is a good coach who does not need another fifteen seconds in the spotlight so maybe the 24/7 reporter is someone he was trying to help. On the other hand, O'Leary does not have much of a rep for veracity.

Some on this board have commented that it is time to move on from the JJ era and they have a point although I believe some response should be made to this sort of gossip. It also seems possible that JJ had some forewarning that a poor showing in early games would mean dismissal. Maybe that is why he was unhappy the day he talked to O'Leary.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:49 pm

gostangs wrote:You are June and you have a carefully crafted "I am a genius coach" reputation - and you look up and due to your own negligence you have inferior talent and 0-12 facing you. What must you do? Blame the school. Most people wont do the research to determine that it is full of [deleted] - since they don't really care and it fits the preconceived notion of SMU as a great academic school that wont do what needs to be done to compete. Big problem - Larry Brown showed up and shot a hole in this argument.

This will creep out more over the next few weeks through Steinbergs portals. They have to get June a new job and this is the only way. Rick is going to have to do something to counter it - to keep our menu of coaches as full as possible.

Exactly! This is exactly what I posted about in a thread a while back. The one thing we have is that it seems that the top coaches next up are indeed interested in the job. We need to stay ahead of this message and be proactive. I hope June is just ready to retire and won't fight this.
ojaipony

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Honestly, that is about the same time that June was told to shut up about his move to spring idea. I am sure that is probably what he was moping about.
JasonB

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:54 pm

JasonB wrote:Honestly, that is about the same time that June was told to shut up about his move to spring idea. I am sure that is probably what he was moping about.

Somehow I don't think that is what he was complaining about.
Last edited by SMU 86 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58 pm

but that was the first day June came back to work.
gostangs

Postby leopold » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Seriously doubt the anybody at the school barred the door when he said he was going to visit a local high school.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm

gostangs wrote:but that was the first day June came back to work.

Hence the complaining.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:17 pm

June can't go out and publicly bash SMU to make himself look better, since he's getting paid through the year, so he needs to use his friends and drunk agent to do it.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby alyssa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:44 pm

SMU needs a great media team to negate the BS and talk about the positives and so on.

The JJ BS reminds me of years ago when the local media spoke badly about my uncle after he was murdered with a shot to the chest while 2 of his 5 children were with him. See, he was a mayor and a really good guy (really) and the local media was saying things about him that were not true and damaging. Our family had connections and one was a WBAP guy who went to all the local media and proved their reporting as incorrect and to stop it. He had some kind of power with the media and he stopped it.
I know that today everyone can report something because of the internet and all the social media but I still think SMU needs to get powerful media on their side. Relationships can go a long way....
alyssa
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Or maybe there's fire. Why does everyone seemingly always assume the worst from June?
ponyboy

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:04 pm

June wasn't happy because June is never happy. That is part of his bit. I think I have it figured. He didn't like that he wasn't handed the key to the city of Dallas when he got here and allowed to do whatever he wanted. Everything he got he was entitled to; everything he didn't get, he was persecuted.

June thought he would come to SMU and be a celebrity. June thought he would get here and they would sell out the stadium for his first game and every game afterwards. It never occurred to June that it was his job to sell anything other than himself.

We replace the turf; well, the turf should have already been replaced. We remodel the offices for 3rd time since Ford was built; well, it needed to be done. We make the locker room look like a strip club, well it should been done before he got here. The lights get moved; well they shouldn't have been in the corners in the first place.

A shetland pony is a stupid mascot; who are you to question the wisdom of replacing the mascot with a real horse? I want a life-sucking halftime show to introduce the mascot; who are you to question my halftime planning skills? I want an indoor practice facility; what do you mean we can't just rip up the track and the soccer field and put it there? I want to change the uniforms; what do you mean I can't change them to whatever I want? I want to go to a bowl game in Hawaii every year; who are you to suggest that alumni might not want to travel 2000 miles every year for a bow game?

Truth is you can't recruit without kick-ass uniforms, an indoor practice facility or a super awesome mascot. And since you can't, why even try? It really isn't worth the trouble. I am unhappy. I can make this job bearable if I hire my old buddies and we play golf and drink white wine. Yea, they won't recruit, but you can't recruit so it doesn't matter.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football