PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

O'Leary - June not happy with SMU @ Media Day

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: O'Leary - June not happy with SMU @ Media Day

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:04 pm

ponyboy wrote:Why does everyone seemingly always assume the worst from June?

Possibly because of his past actions with the media on things like contract negotiations etc.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:07 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:June wasn't happy because June is never happy. That is part of his bit. I think I have it figured. He didn't like that he wasn't handed the key to the city of Dallas when he got here and allowed to do whatever he wanted. Everything he got he was entitled to; everything he didn't get, he was persecuted.

June thought he would come to SMU and be a celebrity. June thought he would get here and they would sell out the stadium for his first game and every game afterwards. It never occurred to June that it was his job to sell anything other than himself.

We replace the turf; well, the turf should have already been replaced. We remodel the offices for 3rd time since Ford was built; well, it needed to be done. We make the locker room look like a strip club, well it should been done before he got here. The lights get moved; well they shouldn't have been in the corners in the first place.

A shetland pony is a stupid mascot; who are you to question the wisdom of replacing the mascot with a real horse? I want a life-sucking halftime show to introduce the mascot; who are you to question my halftime planning skills? I want an indoor practice facility; what do you mean we can't just rip up the track and the soccer field and put it there? I want to change the uniforms; what do you mean I can't change them to whatever I want? I want to go to a bowl game in Hawaii every year; who are you to suggest that alumni might not want to travel 2000 miles every year for a bow game?

Truth is you can't recruit without kick-ass uniforms, an indoor practice facility or a super awesome mascot. And since you can't, why even try? It really isn't worth the trouble. I am unhappy. I can make this job bearable if I hire my old buddies and we play golf and drink white wine. Yea, they won't recruit, but you can't recruit so it doesn't matter.

:idea:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
SMU Football Blog wrote:June wasn't happy because June is never happy. That is part of his bit. I think I have it figured. He didn't like that he wasn't handed the key to the city of Dallas when he got here and allowed to do whatever he wanted. Everything he got he was entitled to; everything he didn't get, he was persecuted.

June thought he would come to SMU and be a celebrity. June thought he would get here and they would sell out the stadium for his first game and every game afterwards. It never occurred to June that it was his job to sell anything other than himself.

We replace the turf; well, the turf should have already been replaced. We remodel the offices for 3rd time since Ford was built; well, it needed to be done. We make the locker room look like a strip club, well it should been done before he got here. The lights get moved; well they shouldn't have been in the corners in the first place.

A shetland pony is a stupid mascot; who are you to question the wisdom of replacing the mascot with a real horse? I want a life-sucking halftime show to introduce the mascot; who are you to question my halftime planning skills? I want an indoor practice facility; what do you mean we can't just rip up the track and the soccer field and put it there? I want to change the uniforms; what do you mean I can't change them to whatever I want? I want to go to a bowl game in Hawaii every year; who are you to suggest that alumni might not want to travel 2000 miles every year for a bow game?

Truth is you can't recruit without kick-ass uniforms, an indoor practice facility or a super awesome mascot. And since you can't, why even try? It really isn't worth the trouble. I am unhappy. I can make this job bearable if I hire my old buddies and we play golf and drink white wine. Yea, they won't recruit, but you can't recruit so it doesn't matter.

:idea:

Dayummm....
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:34 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

Possibly because of his past actions with the media on things like contract negotiations etc.

If SMU wasn't treating him right -- IF -- how would you have expected him to act? Would that excuse any of his actions?
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:36 pm

He may have been upset by having to wear SMU gear instead of his favored Hawiian shirts and New England Patriots' hat
Charleston Pony

Postby floridianstang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:He may have been upset by having to wear SMU gear instead of his favored Hawiian shirts and New England Patriots' hat

This. He went back to his black hawaiian shirt after the Waco Debacle.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:58 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

If SMU wasn't treating him right -- IF -- how would you have expected him to act? Would that excuse any of his actions?

It was very unprofessional to air dirty laundry to the public during contract negations. When you air dirty laundry publicly recruits hear that and it could hurt recruiting. Would you handle your business negotiations like that?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm

I had almost forgotten about him trying to replace Peruna. This sounds like O'Leary is doing June a solid, and damaging SMU's coaching search, which helps O'Leary. This constant talk of lack of administrative support always lacks any real evidence. But it is an easy thing for a lazy media to repeat, and we will probably just keep seeing it. Look at ED's rant, that lacked any facts and everyone picked it up without question.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 pm

O'Leary is retiring.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Planter's Punch wrote:I had almost forgotten about him trying to replace Peruna. This sounds like O'Leary is doing June a solid, and damaging SMU's coaching search, which helps O'Leary. This constant talk of lack of administrative support always lacks any real evidence. But it is an easy thing for a lazy media to repeat, and we will probably just keep seeing it. Look at ED's rant, that lacked any facts and everyone picked it up without question.

O'Leary definitely would not want a better coach than him to come here.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:02 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

It doesn't matter what you do for a living or where you work, it is a job and every job has its own cr@p you have to deal with. The only alternative is to work for yourself, and that comes with its own set of issues.

June gets $2M a year to do a job. Be a F'ing adult.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:09 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

What if June was a liberal conspiracy by Obama to embarrass Bush's favorite university? Think about it - June's background was super liberal Portland and Obama birth certificate generating Hawaii. And June's strange tiki spiritualism is essentially a new age cult more similar to Islamic Sufi mysticism than Christianity.

Equally plausible.
Last edited by couch 'em on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby floridianstang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 pm

couch 'em wrote:
ponyboy wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:[quote="ponyboy"]Why does everyone seemingly always assume the worst from June?

What if June was a liberal conspiracy by Obama to embarrass Bush's favorite university? Think about it - June's background was super liberal Portland and Obama birth certificate generating Hawaii. And June's strange tiki spiritualism is essentially a new age cult.

Equally plausible.[/quote]

Hahahhaha Brilliant!
floridianstang
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 pm

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Topper » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Let it all go. Let's focus on encouraging the school to do everything within reason to make the next coach successful. Serious, qualified candidates for the job won't reject an offer because of whining reported in the media.
Topper
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football