PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

O'Leary - June not happy with SMU @ Media Day

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: O'Leary - June not happy with SMU @ Media Day

Postby smupony94 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:38 pm

I wish blog posted more
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:05 pm

mrydel wrote:O'Leary is retiring.
his last year this year?
GiddyUp

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Yup
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:54 pm

smupony94 wrote:I wish blog posted more

only 160 more and you will break 20,000-you could catch me by Thanksgiving
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm

We aren't allowed to count posts anymore, remember?
smusic 00

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 pm

You know what we have learned in the last week? June is exactly what some of us thought he was, or worse.

Mason is not doing all this at someone's direction. He is either doing it because: (I) he thinks it is what the people want and this helps him get the permanent job; or (ii) he has had issues with the way June ran things for some time: The hitting, the recruiting, the O-line, now the offense.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 am

smusic 00 wrote:We aren't allowed to count posts anymore, remember?

:lol:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:36 am

Meant to edit this post to sound more diplomatic. See below
Last edited by RGV Pony on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RGV Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 am

RGV Pony wrote:So let me get this right. While still an employee, acting as the University's reprentative, June was unbecoming of the University? I wasn't there so I guess I should reserve firsthand thoughts, but if true here is my gut response: Nice. Not that I'm surprised, but any current or former players that read this spare me the June helps us in life crap. You don't change the situation at home by complaining in public to people who can do nothing about it
RGV Pony

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 am

Is anybody surprised by this? Both that he would complain and that we would hear about it now - when SMU is carrying the media message and no one is carrying Steinberg's water.

When was he ever happy with SMU.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby malonish » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:11 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:June wasn't happy because June is never happy. That is part of his bit. I think I have it figured. He didn't like that he wasn't handed the key to the city of Dallas when he got here and allowed to do whatever he wanted. Everything he got he was entitled to; everything he didn't get, he was persecuted.

June thought he would come to SMU and be a celebrity. June thought he would get here and they would sell out the stadium for his first game and every game afterwards. It never occurred to June that it was his job to sell anything other than himself.

We replace the turf; well, the turf should have already been replaced. We remodel the offices for 3rd time since Ford was built; well, it needed to be done. We make the locker room look like a strip club, well it should been done before he got here. The lights get moved; well they shouldn't have been in the corners in the first place.

A shetland pony is a stupid mascot; who are you to question the wisdom of replacing the mascot with a real horse? I want a life-sucking halftime show to introduce the mascot; who are you to question my halftime planning skills? I want an indoor practice facility; what do you mean we can't just rip up the track and the soccer field and put it there? I want to change the uniforms; what do you mean I can't change them to whatever I want? I want to go to a bowl game in Hawaii every year; who are you to suggest that alumni might not want to travel 2000 miles every year for a bow game?

Truth is you can't recruit without kick-ass uniforms, an indoor practice facility or a super awesome mascot. And since you can't, why even try? It really isn't worth the trouble. I am unhappy. I can make this job bearable if I hire my old buddies and we play golf and drink white wine. Yea, they won't recruit, but you can't recruit so it doesn't matter.

Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:June wasn't happy because June is never happy. That is part of his bit. I think I have it figured. He didn't like that he wasn't handed the key to the city of Dallas when he got here and allowed to do whatever he wanted. Everything he got he was entitled to; everything he didn't get, he was persecuted.

June thought he would come to SMU and be a celebrity. June thought he would get here and they would sell out the stadium for his first game and every game afterwards. It never occurred to June that it was his job to sell anything other than himself.

We replace the turf; well, the turf should have already been replaced. We remodel the offices for 3rd time since Ford was built; well, it needed to be done. We make the locker room look like a strip club, well it should been done before he got here. The lights get moved; well they shouldn't have been in the corners in the first place.

A shetland pony is a stupid mascot; who are you to question the wisdom of replacing the mascot with a real horse? I want a life-sucking halftime show to introduce the mascot; who are you to question my halftime planning skills? I want an indoor practice facility; what do you mean we can't just rip up the track and the soccer field and put it there? I want to change the uniforms; what do you mean I can't change them to whatever I want? I want to go to a bowl game in Hawaii every year; who are you to suggest that alumni might not want to travel 2000 miles every year for a bow game?

Truth is you can't recruit without kick-ass uniforms, an indoor practice facility or a super awesome mascot. And since you can't, why even try? It really isn't worth the trouble. I am unhappy. I can make this job bearable if I hire my old buddies and we play golf and drink white wine. Yea, they won't recruit, but you can't recruit so it doesn't matter.

Post of the year................
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby PSCA » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 am

From what I know of Mason since he arrived, he does not impress me as being a "I am going to do what we people want (PC), just for good appearance and PR". Not that he does not understand that side of the business. I am more inclined to think he is probably saying ... I am the guy now for how ever long, I'm going to run it they way I would run it and let the chips fall as they will. Is he also auditioning for this HC or DC with the new guy, or something somewhere ... yes. So, all the more reason to step up. There is only so much he can do in the current situation and in mid-season i.e. staff, so he is doing what he can. For 100th time from me ... Kudos to Mason.
PSCA
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:05 am

Just like any job, the company you work for has strengths and weaknesses. SMU may have some admissions hurdles, but we have a beautiful campus. We may only have a couple of slots available for athletes in our school of education, but we also have small class sizes and more more personalized instruction. On and on, whatever.

It all boils down to the fact that if it were easy to do, every one of us would be doing it, and it wouldn't require a salary of $2 mil a year.

I applaud Jones for leveraging his celebrity to help turn the ship around. I applaud his incessent griping, because he got some things changed that needed to be changed. But I am glad we survived the Jones era with red/blue unis and Peruna!

I just hope the next hire is a move forward. We need positive momentum.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 am

we have a helluva lot more than a couple of spots available to athletes in the Applied Physiology and Sports Management Department. I've perfected a search technique for this. Since the SMU Basketball Roster lists players majors the truth is most of the players on the basketball team have been in those majors including last years 2 Seniors and 6 upperclassmen this year including Nic Moore, Ryan Manual, Caneen Cunningham, Crandall Head, Brian Bernardi and Jean Mudiay. There are other past players like Roberyt Nykundi, Myles Luttman, London Giles. Football roster doesn't list majors but through other sources like player profiles I can easily get up to double digit or so in last few years. A Football roster with listed majors would likely show the same type of concentration
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football