PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU poised to re-emerge as a Football Power

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Ranger19 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:38 pm

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/9 ... recruiting

Excellent article about the strong position SMU finds itself in. This article is dead on correct: We are in a great position looking forward.
Ranger19
Recruit

Re: SMU poised to re-emerge as a Football Power

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Dino Barbers sounds like a good candidate.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Solid article
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby floridianstang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Very well written. It points out a lot of positives. There is more going for SMU than against us, we need to get this hire right.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Bingo.
ojaipony

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:39 pm

At times, this article made a lot of sense and made good points, other times, it seemed like this dude was off in some other dimension.

He said that our "new" AD is Orsini.... wtf?
Our QB's and OL, are not a good building blocks, like he indicated. Did he watch us play? We're terrible there.
I know i'm from California, but does anyone actually call Fort Worth, "The Fort"???

He was spot on about Texas Ties, recruiting, and the general analysis of the program though. I'm still somewhat shocked we keep getting articles like this written about us. It's awesome. In all honesty, I have excitement about the football program for the first time in two years (even though I know this year is gonna be pretty rough the rest of the way out).
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby floridianstang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:41 pm

blackoutpony wrote:At times, this article made a lot of sense and made good points, other times, it seemed like this dude was off in some other dimension.

Our QB's and OL, are not a good building blocks, like he indicated. Did he watch us play? We're terrible there.
I know i'm from California, but does anyone actually call Fort Worth, "The Fort"???

He was spot on about Texas Ties, recruiting, and the general analysis of the program though. I'm still somewhat shocked we keep getting articles like this written about us. It's awesome. In all honesty, I have excitement about the football program for the first time in two years (even though I know this year is gonna be pretty rough the rest of the way out).

Yes he did sound a little bogus when he called it the Fort.

And good to see you are excited. I am too, and I did not have very high hopes at the beginning of the year.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:20 pm

floridianstang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:At times, this article made a lot of sense and made good points, other times, it seemed like this dude was off in some other dimension.

Yes he did sound a little bogus when he called it the Fort.

And good to see you are excited. I am too, and I did not have very high hopes at the beginning of the year.

Not excited? You predicted we'd win 9 games... :roll:
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 pm

BOP: people from Ft. worth refer to their town as "The Fort".
He was showing some local flavor. I thought he made a good argument.

Nobody has a clue about the future of college football. A few court ruling could eliminate the sport as we know it.
Bottom line is SMU will be viable ad long as we want to be viable and as long as we see being a D1 program as central to the well being of our Univerisity.

It's not about can we be P5..... Are we relevant ..... Can we build a strong fan base....

What is relevant is " are D1 athletics a net benefit to the university and does the university need a strong program to achieve its goals. Most would answer yes. As long as people see a need for a strong program then we will hire $2 million coaches, have top facilities, and aspire to have competitive teams.
We are simply trying to win the AAC. If we can compete for that championship every year then I think people who support the program will be thrilled. We won't be winning games against the top of the Big 12. But we don't have to for us to be happy with our athletic program. Be competitive with the top and win the AAC and folks are thrilled.
We are the worst team in D1 so we have a long way to go. But we can get it turned around with the right coach in 1-2 years.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Never heard of 'the fort.'
smusic 00

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:38 am

My brother and his pals refer to their alma mater (Ft Lewis College) as 'the fort'. Other than that, never heard it used before.

Then again TCU likes to grant itself nicknames it thinks are cool, see the unit - of-measurement - challenged "hells half acre" nickname for its football field
RGV Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:48 am

I've never heard anyone refer to FW as the Fort. Cowtown is the only nickname I've commonly heard. I've always heard Arlington refered to as Ag-town.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:18 am

I have heard many ft worthians refer to fort worth as The Fort - its pretty common. Just FYI

pretty good summary in general. I think money matters more than all of us think. 2.5 million is a top 40 salary - so we will get a top 40 coach if that number is true.

If the new staff knows Texas and knows how to judge talent, we will see immediate results - including immediate transfers. When players are not happy their HS coach usually knows....which can lead to a fast "my mom is sick" transfer that allows for fall of 2015 players.

Sure would like to announce sooner than later - but I know that is a challenge.

And I will add that Mason has done everything right since he took over. Very interesting, and makes you sit up a bit on that idea (keep him involved somehow). Also encouraging that we aren't all on mars - since everything you hear on PF as major gripes seems to be the list of first move changes.
gostangs

Postby bsturman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 am

One of the best articles I have read recently.. Lets not screw this up!!
Pony up!!!
bsturman
Junior Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:36 am

Pony81 wrote:BOP: people from Ft. worth refer to their town as "The Fort".
He was showing some local flavor. I thought he made a good argument.

Had no idea. thanks

It almost makes it even more odd that he called Orsini our New AD.... Oh well.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football