PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU in Canada

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU in Canada

Postby SMU » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:37 pm

SMU is developing a team strategy that seems better suited for Canada than the U.S.
SMU

Re: SMU in Canada

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Care to elaborate, eh?
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 am

Wikipedia excerpt - sound familiar?

Although the rules of Canadian and American football have similarities, the differences have a great effect on how teams play and are managed. Generally, the "big play" is more important in the Canadian game, and offensive series are more difficult to manage.

Red-zone management
Due to the larger end zones and the goalposts being on the goal line in Canadian football, teams must avoid hitting the goalposts. Thus most touchdown throws are aimed away from the centre portion of the end zone. End zone passing becomes even more complicated when the corners of the end zone are truncated, as is the case at stadiums where the field is bounded by a running track. However, the offensive team enjoys a counteracting advantage of end zones more than twice the size of those in American football, significantly expanding the area that must be covered by the defensive team and also allowing the freedom to run some pass patterns not available in American football's red zone.

Special teams
Punts are more common in Canadian football because the offence has three attempts to attain a first down compared to four in American football. Accordingly, special teams make a larger contribution to the team's success in Canadian football.

Management of offensive drives
Having three downs gives Canadian teams less room for experimentation and short rush attempts than their American counterparts. Since the same ten yards must be gained with one fewer attempt, teams must try for the big gain. For this reason, Canadian teams usually prefer passing over rushing to a greater extent than American, since pass attempts generally tend to gain more yards than rushing. In addition, the wider field and much larger end zones further encourage passing in the Canadian game. Offensive drives (continuous possession of the ball) tend to be shorter. Long drives of half a quarter or more are common in American football but rare in Canadian.

Backfield motion
Perhaps the greatest difference arises due to the virtually unlimited movement allowed in the defensive and offensive backfields on a play from scrimmage in the Canadian game vs. very restricted offensive movement in the American game. Thus the offence has more options, forcing the defence to anticipate more possibilities.

Late comebacks
In both the college and pro games, the clock stops more in the Canadian game. In the Canadian Football League, the rules require more clock stoppages in the last minutes of a half whereas in the National Football League there are fewer. On top of this, a team that is ahead has fewer opportunities to kill clock time in the Canadian game with three downs, much less time to start a new play, and (after the three-minute warning) a loss of down for failing to start the new play in time.
SMU

Postby SMU15 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:49 am

Looks like we're turning into the Calgary Stampeders! At least their "Phony Pony" is that much off the real Peruna, and that Canadian flag looks a lot like that SMU Unbridled 100 one.
"And as long as they're keeping score, there will always be people who try to do everything they can to put up more points than the other guy." -Brent Musberger
SMU15
Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:52 am

I think we have all seen the Stampeders before, yes.....?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:33 am

What's your point, SMU?
smusic 00

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:52 am

Are you taking about the Run and Shot offense?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:16 am

I haven't been this confused since Admiral Stockdale ran for Vice President

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1w3FgB0Ohc
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:42 am

Ok, let me spell it out. First, to those who don't follow the CFL /are easily confused/ "don't get my point"/ pile on newcomers here's the simple version so you don't have to bang your head on learning the playbook I wrote above. SMU, like CFL, is currently an inferior league recalling its glory days, past injustices and moderate recent successes.

If you've never watched a CFL game, you can go home now.

SMUs blitzes are undermanned - you can get away with this in Canada, but not in Texas.

SMU's spread offence shows they are fearful of the ground game - this reminds me of the BC Lions and sometimes the Stampeders.

SMU red zone/ end zone management looks like they are playing on a field physically bigger than they really are

Don't like what I said, when I get back from the game on the 20th, I'll send you some stuff next time I'm in BC to help you relax.

If I keep up my response time during my inaugural posts, y'all might find yourselves burning a redshirt.

Re the helmets above - it's what's in the helmet, not what's on it.
Re Stallion - your reply is non responsive and uncivil
SMU

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:53 am

SMU wrote:Ok, let me spell it out. First, to those who don't follow the CFL /are easily confused/ "don't get my point"/ pile on newcomers here's the simple version so you don't have to bang your head on learning the playbook I wrote above. SMU, like CFL, is currently an inferior league recalling its glory days, past injustices and moderate recent successes.

SMUs blitzes are undermanned - you can get away with this in Canada, but not in Texas.

SMU's spread offence shows they are fearful of the ground game - this reminds me of the BC Lions and sometimes the Stampeders.

SMU red zone/ end zone management looks like they are playing on a field physically bigger than they really are

Don't like what I said, when I get back from the game on the 20th, I'll send you some stuff next time I'm in BC to help you relax.

If I keep up my response time during my inaugural posts, y'all might find yourselves burning a redshirt.

Can you be more specific about what you have seen out of smu's offensive red zone management this year that reminds you of the CFL?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:02 pm

SMU wrote:Ok, let me spell it out. First, to those who don't follow the CFL /are easily confused/ "don't get my point"/ pile on newcomers here's the simple version so you don't have to bang your head on learning the playbook I wrote above. SMU, like CFL, is currently an inferior league recalling its glory days, past injustices and moderate recent successes.

can you please move this convo to the "CFL" board on PF?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby ponydawg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Toronto's favorite mayor promoting some good old CFL......

ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

ponydawg wrote:Toronto's favorite mayor promoting some good old CFL......

You just can't make this stuff up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby ponyboy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Thought this was a Jeff Reinebold thread.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Return to Football