PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tom Rossley consulting with Staff!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tom Rossley consulting with Staff!

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 am

Nacho wrote:i can't get the link to work but nutt is trying to get the florida job.

Do you mean FAU? Because he tried to get the UConn and FAU jobs but was turned down on both of them.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 am

Who knows, we might see some form of the pistol now.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 am

Billy Embody ‏@BillyEmbody 1m

#SMU would not confirm Rossley consulting the team. Team is at their limit for coaches. They're looking into it right now.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby ponydawg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 am

I'm not excited about Rossley as a head coach or OC, I'm just excited that Mason and Hart are being proactive and not just status quo.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:29 am

Does't Saban have a full staff of coaches and then several extra "consultants"?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby leopold » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am

ponyte wrote:I don't get it. Rossley didn't produce as a HC yet folks love him. He left here one step ahead of the NCAA for allegations that could have really hurt us. Yet, a guy with a proven record like Nutt and no NCAA allegations gets dissed routinely.

I wasn't a fan of Rossley and have reservations about recycling a guy without a proven HC record. This hire is just too important than to take a second chance on a guy.

Rossley:

1) Knows the school and will know the issues the coaches are facing both big picture and on a day-to-day basis. He should be able to give advice and a real perspective on the whole program.
2) Knows the run-and-shoot but isn't do-or-die (or 'we do what we do') like Jones. He should be able to offer some ideas on how to make offensive adjustments based on the personnel available. I'd take him as on OC in a heartbeat.

Hey, if we just lost a coach wouldn't that mean there's an opening on the staff. I mean, seriously?

As far as the sanctions are concerned, that fell on one Steve Malin. Granted, it was a Rossley hire, but sometimes you just have one jackwad ruin it for everybody. When Rossley and his staff were fired, Malin begged for a job with Cavan, who gave him and shot and was promptly repaid like that. Felt bad for Cavan.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am

Wasn't a Rossley fan either. The only reason his offense was bearable to watch- when Flannigan wasn't hurt- was Flannigan free-lancing with what was to become the Vince Young/RG III protype of a running QB in a spread type offense. Other than that Rossley's offense was a dismal failure. When Flanningan was hurt there were years between victories. I don't want to see any more Run N Shoot in my lifetime. Hopefully any input would be related to his A&M spread type offense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PSCA » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 am

Kudos again to Mason ... you can sit back and let life happen, or make something happen and go down swinging. He has chosen the later, good for him. None of these are long term solutions, they are short term fixes/help for immediate needs. If this holds true, "the Rossley rumor", it tells me we will see some tweaks to the "O".

Again, Kudos for Mason for stepping up, and probably for stepping on some toes and feelings.
PSCA
All-American

Postby lwjr » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am

mrydel wrote:Does't Saban have a full staff of coaches and then several extra "consultants"?

But lord Saban can do as he pleases. For he is the king of all football. Just ask any Alabama fan.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 am

we don't the personnel to line up in the power i so i think we are going to see the r/s or some spread o for the remainder of the year.
Nacho

Postby stc9 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:04 am

lwjr wrote:
mrydel wrote:Does't Saban have a full staff of coaches and then several extra "consultants"?

But lord Saban can do as he pleases. For he is the king of all football. Just ask any Alabama fan.

Or he is the "Dark Lord". Just ask our new offensive line coach.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 am

Rebel10 wrote:
Nacho wrote:i can't get the link to work but nutt is trying to get the florida job.

Do you mean FAU? Because he tried to get the UConn and FAU jobs but was turned down on both of them.

http://lightlybuzzed.com/2014/09/15/hou ... da-gators/

gators.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:07 am

remember NCAA modified the rules on coaching staffs and now allows additional consultants
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 am

ponyte wrote:I don't get it. Rossley didn't produce as a HC yet folks love him. He left here one step ahead of the NCAA for allegations that could have really hurt us. Yet, a guy with a proven record like Nutt and no NCAA allegations gets dissed routinely.

I wasn't a fan of Rossley and have reservations about recycling a guy without a proven HC record. This hire is just too important than to take a second chance on a guy.

Rossley has experience with the RnS and more modern offenses. They clearly need help transitioning (in the middle of a season) to something that Cassell and/or Davis can be reasonably be successful at.

If this rumor is true, it shows that the powers that be have been willing to spend a little money to salvage something out of the season.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 am

leopold wrote:
Hey, if we just lost a coach wouldn't that mean there's an opening on the staff. I mean, seriously?

They hired Tim Davis to full the open spot.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

PreviousNext

Return to Football