PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU rivalry dead?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU rivalry dead?

Postby SMU1523 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:50 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:No [deleted], I give every year. But bragging you beat your local rival in getting more people to donate $25 is pretty pathetic

I agree with you. I wasn't bragging, but merely pointing out that we did win the competition. I was thinking there is a is a few reasons they chose Baylor as their challenging school for young alumni fundraising.

1. They do not see SMU as their equal
2. They would rather associate with a school in their conference or try to kindle a rivalry with a similar school in their conference.
3. They were tired of losing to SMU in the fundraising challenge.

Remember, I am trying to go through the thought process of the person that is in charge of whatever young alumni association fundraising program, not necessarily the thought process of the average TCU fan.

But at the end of the day, I really don't think anyone cares or that it matters in the grand scheme of things.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby floridianstang » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:31 pm

I would say it's more like 2. They have been downplaying the SMU-TCU game for a while...they should not forget in the last cycle they were on the receiving end of 15 straight beatdowns in Football from 1972-1986
floridianstang
All-American

Postby Oldmins » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:04 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
Oldmins wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:Playing at home? We played at the AAC.

Sorry, I thought the American Airlines Center was in Dallas.

Don't be dense. AAC is not our home venue. Nice try though.

Well Stallions, maybe this is part of our (your) problem. You do not consider Dallas to be our home area. Is that attitude part of the reason we get as little support as we do from Big D? And using your reasoning, TCU will not have a single home game in basketball this year, because they are playing in an arena five miles from their campus. You think?
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby SMUer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:44 pm

I like how you twist the perception that playing in an NBA stadium is not playing in a "home" stadium into being part of the problem with SMU's psyche. Is AT&T Stadium TCU's home stadium too because you've played there more than once and you can get there on less than a quarter tank of gas?
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ReedFrawg » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:29 pm

I think the "rivalry" is DOA at this point. A lot of tcu fans I know are just not interested in driving to dallas for the smu game anymore. It has moved way down the priority list.

And SMU can have hoops. Of course I wish we were better but I will take a good football program over hoops any day.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby SMU1523 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:57 pm

One could argue the rivalry has been this way for almost 40 years. From 1972-1986 I imagine TCU didn't feel much like a rivalry to SMU. It is not far fetched that SMU could once again be dominant in this series. It does hurt the rivalry aspect because it seems to be very one way about every other score. None the less, I still feel this is a storied rivalry and hope it will continue until the end.

Another thought... It would be the most epic Gary Patterson rant if some how SMU won on Saturday. Especially if there was a questionable call or a targeting play.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:07 pm

In 40 years, the only great game when BOTH teams were Bowl teams was in 2011. Seriously I always liked the Baylor series better-with about 10 of the most memorable games in SMU History
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU1523 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 pm

That is a good point. Regardless of the football, the schools are too similar not to be thought of as natural rivals. A lot of schools do not even come close to having a rivalry like this. I would argue Baylor does not even have a natural rival. I would argue that Tech doesn't either.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:07 am

Tech definitely had a rivalry with A&M although the Aggies didn't recognize it while getting their [deleted] kicked regularly
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:20 am

Looks like TCU is only on our schedule for four more years after this year. I would imagine that if we can get things turned around quickly it will be a more heated rivalry.

Smart TCU fans likely don't like the risk of playing SMU as they know the Big 12 is on life support and its really not clear where they might land next, especially if they become a bottom half Big 12 school.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby noushaddup » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:00 am

Downtrodden, this site is.
Hard to taunt such glum and downtrodden fans.
First it was death penalty.
Then alleged hooker carnage.
Then Eric Dickerson can't say a good word about SMU.
And let's not forget June Jones and all that he's done for SMU.

You don't even have faith in your team.
How do you expect TCU fans to show up and taunt you in this downtrodden state?

In all seriousness, good luck and may the best team win.
Looking forward to a clean, hard-fought game,
And a Mustang resurgence to glory, starting the game after.
noushaddup

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:04 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:Smart TCU fans likely don't like the risk of playing SMU as they know the Big 12 is on life support and its really not clear where they might land next, especially if they become a bottom half Big 12 school.

I don't understand why some people claim the Big 12 is on life support. Can you explain that?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:21 am

Life support? Who is going to leave?
GiddyUp

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:31 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:Smart TCU fans likely don't like the risk of playing SMU as they know the Big 12 is on life support and its really not clear where they might land next, especially if they become a bottom half Big 12 school.

I don't understand why some people claim the Big 12 is on life support. Can you explain that?

The ongoing strife in the Big 12. The conference as it exists today is Bevo and everyone else that doesn't have a better option, or said differently, didn't have a better option at the time of the GoR signing. Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, and K-State (and maybe WVa) don't have any better options today (or tomorrow). They're all in for the Big 12.

KU wants out, but they were stuck with little brother during this last turn (coupled with the ?'s around its AAU status). Most don't realize that Kansas has one single Regents system (unlike Texas, which has a Regents for each system). The single Regents system in Kansas wasn't friendly to KU during this last round of splits and they wouldn't let KU and KSU split (and the Big 10 wasn't taking both). It's not clear whether they would even take KU (alone) given the AAU situation (they didn't want another Nebraska situation).

OU is OU and fits nicely with the Pac or SEC. They frankly control their own destiny, little brother notwithstanding.

As far as Tech, I'm guessing the Texas Leg will require Texas to take Tech with them to the Pac, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, this league is as broken and dysfunctional as ever. There are 5 top 25 brands in the Big 12 (UT #1, OU #12, WVa #18, KU #23, OSU #24, Tech #27...then a drastic drop). A lot of dead wood. Any time you have that much economic inequality, [deleted] is going to change.

The great unknown is what happens as we approach the end of the GoR (2024). If KU, OU and others signal they're leaving, does the league turn on them? The Big 12 is the wounded elk being surrounded by wolves. TCU won the $200 million lottery by being in just the right position at the right time, but the ugly twist for them is that IF they become a Big 12 laggard and the Big 12 dies, they could find themselves on the outside looking in.

I think the Big 12 lives on past 2025, I just think it will be losing 4-5 schools and will replace them with others. We'll see what happens.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:46 am

I might not live on past 2025 so I hope we can progress somehow, somewhere before then.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football