PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU rivalry dead?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU rivalry dead?

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:47 am

mrydel wrote:I might not live on past 2025 so I hope we can progress somehow, somewhere before then.

We will all mentally will you to live well past 2025 Mr. Ydel!
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:54 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:Smart TCU fans likely don't like the risk of playing SMU as they know the Big 12 is on life support and its really not clear where they might land next, especially if they become a bottom half Big 12 school.

I don't understand why some people claim the Big 12 is on life support. Can you explain that?

The ongoing strife in the Big 12. The conference as it exists today is Bevo and everyone else that doesn't have a better option, or said differently, didn't have a better option at the time of the GoR signing. Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, and K-State (and maybe WVa) don't have any better options today (or tomorrow). They're all in for the Big 12.

KU wants out, but they were stuck with little brother during this last turn (coupled with the ?'s around its AAU status). Most don't realize that Kansas has one single Regents system (unlike Texas, which has a Regents for each system). The single Regents system in Kansas wasn't friendly to KU during this last round of splits and they wouldn't let KU and KSU split (and the Big 10 wasn't taking both). It's not clear whether they would even take KU (alone) given the AAU situation (they didn't want another Nebraska situation).

OU is OU and fits nicely with the Pac or SEC. They frankly control their own destiny, little brother notwithstanding.

As far as Tech, I'm guessing the Texas Leg will require Texas to take Tech with them to the Pac, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, this league is as broken and dysfunctional as ever. There are 5 top 25 brands in the Big 12 (UT #1, OU #12, WVa #18, KU #23, OSU #24, Tech #27...then a drastic drop). A lot of dead wood. Any time you have that much economic inequality, [deleted] is going to change.

The great unknown is what happens as we approach the end of the GoR (2024). If KU, OU and others signal they're leaving, does the league turn on them? The Big 12 is the wounded elk being surrounded by wolves. TCU won the $200 million lottery by being in just the right position at the right time, but the ugly twist for them is that IF they become a Big 12 laggard and the Big 12 dies, they could find themselves on the outside looking in.

I think the Big 12 lives on past 2025, I just think it will be losing 4-5 schools and will replace them with others. We'll see what happens.

Interesting, but disagree. KU is stuck as is all the midwest schools. They have no where to go and some are lucky to be P5.I don't see how it implodes. Big 10 is done for a while, Pac 12 is just fine.
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:57 am

GiddyUp wrote:
Interesting, but disagree. KU is stuck as is all the midwest schools. They have no where to go and some are lucky to be P5.I don't see how it implodes. Big 10 is done for a while, Pac 12 is just fine.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion (and your disdain for KU is well documented). Fortunately, KU's fate isn't being decided by two knuckleheads on a message board.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby floridianstang » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:04 am

KU has solid athletic revenues and are a state flagship school. They won't be left out.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby Nacho » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:18 am

ku had a few good years with mangino. he went racist and ku is back to cellar dweller.
ku is an outstanding bball school which keeps them in the national spotlight.

i know we are bad in football but we are a lot beter in bball than tcu is in football.
Nacho

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:43 am

Nothing against KU. Just don't see big 12 going anywhere. Iowa state has nothing to offer. KState has been balanced in fball and bball. UT messed it all up to begin with.
GiddyUp

Postby NewAgeMustange » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:24 am

Well if the Big 12 does collapse; and I was praying for SWC 2.0 during the last bit with SMU getting a seat at the table. I hope that KU burns in a fiery pit and the campus goes down in a F5 tornado. (yes, I have a severe problem/disdain with the University, fans and everything about KU) KSU will land somewhere on its feet. It has both the majority of Kansas going for it. The majority of KU fans are between half of Topeka and the northeast section of KS. Most other people will be for KSU/ Emporia / Wichita State even some Pitt State fans.

Both KSU/KU and Iowa state are all going to be left out of the system. Nobody is going to take both KU and KSU. Everything they want about KU (basketball) is not what kstate (football 1st of all) is about. The feeling of the schools is different. Ku is a mini Austin / wants to be Austin and Manhattan is more country then A&M will every be (Based on my experiences going/visiting the school). They are worthless due to demographics and location. There is what maybe 2 million people in the state. And how many will Iowa State bring in? I don't see the TV market for Ames being super high.

TCU brought more into the Big 12 tv market then all three of those schools. Clearly there is a pivot down to Texas; hopefully in the future that will bring light to SMU when we rise from the ashes for football and we win the NCAA tournament this year. National Champs 2015!
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

TCU rivalry dead?

Postby floridianstang » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:40 am

NewAgeMustange wrote:Well if the Big 12 does collapse; and I was praying for SWC 2.0 during the last bit with SMU getting a seat at the table. I hope that KU burns in a fiery pit and the campus goes down in a F5 tornado. (yes, I have a severe problem/disdain with the University, fans and everything about KU) KSU will land somewhere on its feet. It has both the majority of Kansas going for it. The majority of KU fans are between half of Topeka and the northeast section of KS. Most other people will be for KSU/ Emporia / Wichita State even some Pitt State fans.

Both KSU/KU and Iowa state are all going to be left out of the system. Nobody is going to take both KU and KSU. Everything they want about KU (basketball) is not what kstate (football 1st of all) is about. The feeling of the schools is different. Ku is a mini Austin / wants to be Austin and Manhattan is more country then A&M will every be (Based on my experiences going/visiting the school). They are worthless due to demographics and location. There is what maybe 2 million people in the state. And how many will Iowa State bring in? I don't see the TV market for Ames being super high.

TCU brought more into the Big 12 tv market then all three of those schools. Clearly there is a pivot down to Texas; hopefully in the future that will bring light to SMU when we rise from the ashes for football and we win the NCAA tournament this year. National Champs 2015!

TCU brought no additional TV sets to the big 12. UT, Texas Tech, OU, and OSU had DFW covered already. They just gave those teams an extra game in DFW area.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby SMU1523 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:42 am

I think we have a better chance of predicting the winning lotto numbers than predicting conference realignment. In the volatile landscape of collegiate athletics, nothing is set in stone.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Cox. Interesting. You bring up a lot of talking points.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:15 am

SMU1523 wrote:I think we have a better chance of predicting the winning lotto numbers than predicting conference realignment. In the volatile landscape of collegiate athletics, nothing is set in stone.

Totally agree, and really more to my point. There is enormous shifting still left to do. Whether you hate OU or hate KU, doesn't matter. Future shifting will be about brand value, markets, Tier 3 networks, etc.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:16 am

NewAgeMustange wrote:KSU will land somewhere on its feet.

Yes, it's called the Moutain West. They'll do well.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU1523 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:28 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
NewAgeMustange wrote:KSU will land somewhere on its feet.

Yes, it's called the Moutain West. They'll do well.

Haha, and I absolutely agree with you. Lesser big state schools (K-State, Iowa State) and small privates (TCU and I would even put Baylor and Vandy) are not necessarily in the clear for the future of college football.

Maybe Vandy is safe, the SEC takes care of their own, but the powers of the Big 12 (UT and Oklahoma) would leave TCU and Baylor in the dust if they needed to.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:42 am

Back to Reality: UT and OU are the only reason the Big 12 continues to exist-they could have left at any moment during the last 20 years with a phone call but haven't
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:46 am

Stallion wrote:Back to Reality: UT and OU are the only reason the Big 12 continues to exist-they could have left at any moment during the last 20 years with a phone call but haven't

Nothing factually incorrect about your statement (at least until the point where UT created Bevo Live). Leaving UT out of the above discussion falls into the no [deleted] category. Of course UT has the highest value.

The Bevo network has complicated their options, though.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football