PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poll: Should They Clean House?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Should They Completely Clean House?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes : 96

Re: Poll: Should They Clean House?

Postby footballdad » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:37 pm

I don't want, or expect, Mason to get serious consideration for the head coaching job, but for anyone to criticize the man at this point is beyond ridiculous.

He is in many ways the anti-June. He has taken on the worst job in America. He makes no excuses and works hard every day to salvage whatever he can from a no win situation.

We are lucky to have him hanging in there at this point.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:39 pm

footballdad wrote:I don't want, or expect, Mason to get serious consideration for the head coaching job, but for anyone to criticize the man at this point is beyond ridiculous.

He is in many ways the anti-June. He has taken on the worst job in America. He makes no excuses and works hard every day to salvage whatever he can from a no win situation.

On this we should all be in agreement. Hopefully what is left of this program can find some positive energy and win a couple of games before this season is done.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:44 pm

For those of us following recruiting-I definitely think he deserves criticism. He got credit when some of his sleepers performed-now its the other side of the coin. Its my belief he has veto power on recruiting defensive players based on many stories. He also often was the first to jump on marginal recruits with no offers 10 months before signing date. These are his guys. Maybe they can show improvement since the preseason is over. I don't want anybody associated with June Jones philosophy on recruiting to coach at SMU unless -his critic Klemm wants to coach the Offensive Line
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby GreenieSMU » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:06 pm

In the words of Metallica "Kill them all." Well at least fire em all! I am liking the idea of turning this program over to anyone 43 and under!!!!
GreenieSMU
Recruit

Postby SMU2007 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:09 pm

footballdad wrote:I don't want, or expect, Mason to get serious consideration for the head coaching job, but for anyone to criticize the man at this point is beyond ridiculous.

Where the hell has he been on the recruiting front for the past few years? You aren't going to convince me that he's all that different than June, although I appreciate his recent effort to distance himself
SMU2007

Postby footballdad » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Stallion wrote:For those of us following recruiting-I definitely think he deserves criticism. He got credit when some of his sleepers performed-now its the other side of the coin. Its my belief he has veto power on recruiting defensive players based on many stories. He also often was the first to jump on marginal recruits with no offers 10 months before signing date. These are his guys. Maybe they can show improvement since the preseason is over. I don't want anybody associated with June Jones philosophy on recruiting to coach at SMU unless -his critic Klemm wants to coach the Offensive Line

My comment and anyone who agrees had nothing to do with recruiting. He's gone just like the rest of them and everyone, including him, knows this. We're talking about respect for the man, and backing off the criticism, because he was the only one of this entire wretched crew, who seemed man enough to take on this sh*tty interim position.

Nothing more, nothing less. Thank you coach Mason for standing with these kids for the next 90 days while everyone else on the planet takes immense joy in taking pot shots and piling on.

This team has brighter days ahead and many of the existing 'horrible' players will be part of the renaissance.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby yakastang » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:48 pm

Footballdad is right on the offensive coaches undermining Masons HC authority, not only at practices but Morrison did in the A&M game as well. That's why I mentioned possible friction in the offense coach ranks previously. Mason needs to get Morrison gone if he is going to have any control over his own destiny.
yakastang
Recruit

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:36 am

yakastang wrote:Footballdad is right on the offensive coaches undermining Masons HC authority, not only at practices but Morrison did in the A&M game as well. That's why I mentioned possible friction in the offense coach ranks previously. Mason needs to get Morrison gone if he is going to have any control over his own destiny.

What is Coach Morrison doing to Coach Mason? He seems like a pretty low key kind of guy.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:40 am

footballdad wrote: he was the only one of this entire wretched crew, who seemed man enough to take on this sh*tty interim position.

I thought when Coach Jones resigned that he requested that Mason take over. I didn't think they asked anyone else.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby stc9 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:01 pm

First off, I don't think that Mason will get the job. I think that the school will want to put this whole season behind them and start fresh. That is no knock on Mason, he has a Herculean task and he seems to be doing the best that can be expected with zero flexibility.

The new Head Coach gets to pick his staff. This will go for the S&C coach, to the consultants and probably all the way down to the head of football operations. The only way that anyone on this staff gets to stay is if the new HC wants them. That is the right of the HC.

I sincerely hope that SMU does something to take care of Mason after this season if he doesn't have another job. He stepped up, when our offensive genius' disciplines balked, and is taking it on the chin.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 pm

stc9 wrote:First off, I don't think that Mason will get the job. I think that the school will want to put this whole season behind them and start fresh. That is no knock on Mason, he has a Herculean task and he seems to be doing the best that can be expected with zero flexibility.

The new Head Coach gets to pick his staff. This will go for the S&C coach, to the consultants and probably all the way down to the head of football operations. The only way that anyone on this staff gets to stay is if the new HC wants them. That is the right of the HC.

I sincerely hope that SMU does something to take care of Mason after this season if he doesn't have another job. He stepped up, when our offensive genius' disciplines balked, and is taking it on the chin.

What was he suppose to do? Pass the interim HC to Phillips when asked? It's not like he stepped up when no one else stepped up when they asked for volunteers.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby stc9 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
stc9 wrote:First off, I don't think that Mason will get the job. I think that the school will want to put this whole season behind them and start fresh. That is no knock on Mason, he has a Herculean task and he seems to be doing the best that can be expected with zero flexibility.

What was he suppose to do? Pass the interim HC to Phillips when asked? It's not like he stepped up when no one else stepped up when they asked for volunteers.

It would have been better career management if that is exactly what he did. His name is now all over this mess. If he turned down the job, he could blame any defensive shortcomings this season on playing 100 snaps a game. The way things stand now, he will not get a HC job ever. I also don't see him getting another DC job next season (though - I really hope I am wrong)

I like Mason. I like what he has done in his time on the hilltop. I like and appreciate how he is handling himself since he took over.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:25 pm

yakastang wrote:Footballdad is right on the offensive coaches undermining Masons HC authority, not only at practices but Morrison did in the A&M game as well. That's why I mentioned possible friction in the offense coach ranks previously. Mason needs to get Morrison gone if he is going to have any control over his own destiny.

Mason brought this new OLine coach in and sat Suan down and my understanding is the guy is actually teaching the O Linemen and the players love him.

It may not be possible, but it would be great if Mason could sit Morrison and Phillips in the corner and bring on an OC much more aligned with his vision. Probably can't because of the budget or something, but the 'can't change the offense that quickly' excuse doesn't hold water in our current predicament.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:30 pm

You are limited in number of coaches. OL coach took June's spot. Cannot sit them down, you have to cut them loose. Which is fine with me.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby skurtn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:34 pm

I like Mason, but I don't trust JJ. JJ hired Mason. Guilty by association.
skurtn
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football