PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Davis not playing makes no sense.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Davis not playing makes no sense.

Postby jimhagle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Mason even spoke fairly highly of Davis so let's see what he can do for a whole game. We know what Krstich can bring-not many points and erratic.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:09 pm

jimhagle wrote:Mason even spoke fairly highly of Davis so let's see what he can do for a whole game. We know what Krstich can bring-not many points and erratic.

He also called Davis "one-dimensional" and said that he was going to stick with Krstich.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:12 pm

He threw 6 passes for 6 yards-must have scrambled on passing plays another 6 times. Assuming that is correct, I believe he was 0-12 in getting a pass off in 3-4 seconds. That's why Krstich is going to play. We may want SMU to run a different offense but until they do SMU should play the QB that knows what he is doing
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Stallion wrote: SMU should play the QB that knows what he is doing

Novel idea. Let's go with that.
Bergermeister

Postby jimhagle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Stallion wrote:He threw 6 passes for 6 yards-must have scrambled on passing plays another 6 times. Assuming that is correct, I believe he was 0-12 in getting a pass off in 3-4 seconds. That's why Krstich is going to play. We may want SMU to run a different offense but until they do SMU should play the QB that knows what he is doing

Davis moved the ball all the way down the field I believe in his only possession so he did something Krstich rarely did all game. So I guess Davis knew what he was doing. I personally don't care how pretty it is the way we move the ball as long as it is being moved. Anyone remember JWill and the way he played? It wasn't always pretty but he was successful.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Stangsupporter » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Who mentioned politics?? You've got to be kidding. Here's a fun fact, June Jones called Stich into his office at the beginning of fall camp and said you've been playing great and are the #2 right now, but I want to see what some of the new guys can do. He then didn't get one snap all camp, not one. Davis was seeing time in the first two games, do we remember our offense then... We couldn't cross midfield. A crazy set of circumstances gives Stich an opportunity and he showed more than any of the other QBs with his shot. These young guys were handed positions and opportunities they didn't earn bc they were on scholarship and now you want to critize and claim politics on a hard working kid who made the most of his opportunity...

Krstich continues to lead long scoring drives every game. He has the whole offense on his shoulders... Responsible for all the rushing and passing yards... Motivating receivers and lineman even after missed assignments and dropped balls, not to mention missed FGs. No doubt he's made mistakes. But he unquestionably knows the offense the best and gives us the best chance to win.

I don't question Davis's athletic ability and he should be on the field in some capacity, perhaps a slot receiver, but to say Krstich, after three starts, one of which he nearly set a school record, should be benched to see what other talent we have for next year sounds like a June Jones strategy.

You may be thinking about next year, but these kids care about this year... So lets support what's best for them today.
Stangsupporter

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:18 pm

Stangsupporter wrote:Who mentioned politics?? You've got to be kidding. Here's a fun fact, June Jones called Stich into his office at the beginning of fall camp and said you've been playing great and are the #2 right now, but I want to see what some of the new guys can do. He then didn't get one snap all camp, not one. Davis was seeing time in the first two games, do we remember our offense then... We couldn't cross midfield. A crazy set of circumstances gives Stich an opportunity and he showed more than any of the other QBs with his shot. These young guys were handed positions and opportunities they didn't earn bc they were on scholarship and now you want to critize and claim politics on a hard working kid who made the most of his opportunity...

Krstich continues to lead long scoring drives every game. He has the whole offense on his shoulders... Responsible for all the rushing and passing yards... Motivating receivers and lineman even after missed assignments and dropped balls, not to mention missed FGs. No doubt he's made mistakes. But he unquestionably knows the offense the best and gives us the best chance to win.

I don't question Davis's athletic ability and he should be on the field in some capacity, perhaps a slot receiver, but to say Krstich, after three starts, one of which he nearly set a school record, should be benched to see what other talent we have for next year sounds like a June Jones strategy.

You may be thinking about next year, but these kids care about this year... So lets support what's best for them today.

I can almost support your statement but lets pull back on the accolades just a bit. I have watched every game and have not seen him leading long scoring drives in all of them. With the exception of an hail mary, we have only scored a TD in one game. And I am curious as to what school record he came close to. I have witnessed many great SMU QBs in the past 40 years and I have not seen a performance this year that would qualify as a near record breaker.

But I can see that based on what I have seen thus far he is the best option.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby jimhagle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm

It seems Krstich is the best option and I say that cautiously but regardless I would give Davis a long look or atleast let him play more. I doubt Krstich is going to lead us to any wins simply by his knowing the offense better -the talent just isn't there and I like the kid. When you are in a major down year all options should be explored going forward.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 pm

I love Krstich and what he represents. I would start Davis and not look back.
ponyboy

Postby dirtysouthpony » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:38 pm

Coached by Ken Hammock at Klein Forest HS in Houston, Texas … earned District 13-5A Co-Offensive Player of the Year honors as a sophomore after completing 100 out of 171 passes for 1,393 yards and 14 touchdowns, as well as running the ball 190 times for 1,427 yards and 22 touchdowns … after missing his junior year due to a knee injury, he returned for his senior year and amassed 1,483 yards and 13 touchdowns through the air while rushing for another 931 yards and 12 TDs ... earned a spot in Division 13-5A’s second-team all-district squad … 4-star recruit by ESPN.com, Rivals.com, 247sports.com and Scout.com … rated No. 107 overall and the No. 6 quarterback in the ESPNU 150 … rated No. 119 overall and No. 3 among quarterbacks by Rivals.com … ranked No. 5 dual-threat quarterback nationally by 247sports.com … ranked No. 6 quarterback nationally by Scout.com … rated by SuperPrep as the No. 1 quarterback and No. 16 player overall from Texas … also part of the SuperPrep All-American 290 as the No. 6 quarterback … ranked No. 21 on the Austin American-Stateman’s Fab 55 … chose A&M over offers from Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, and Oklahoma State.

We say that we want highly recruited Texas recruits. His credentials seem to indicate that he would at least get the chance to compete against a walk on from CA who is yet to win a game. He threw an interception, like every qb on this team has this season. What is this saying to the TX high school coaches?
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby fifty » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:18 am

It's a conspiracy by RGT to keep us 0-12 so at the new coaching hire press conference we just drop football instead.
fifty
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:30 am

dirtysouthpony wrote:Coached by Ken Hammock at Klein Forest HS in Houston, Texas … earned District 13-5A Co-Offensive Player of the Year honors as a sophomore after completing 100 out of 171 passes for 1,393 yards and 14 touchdowns, as well as running the ball 190 times for 1,427 yards and 22 touchdowns … after missing his junior year due to a knee injury, he returned for his senior year and amassed 1,483 yards and 13 touchdowns through the air while rushing for another 931 yards and 12 TDs ... earned a spot in Division 13-5A’s second-team all-district squad … 4-star recruit by ESPN.com, Rivals.com, 247sports.com and Scout.com … rated No. 107 overall and the No. 6 quarterback in the ESPNU 150 … rated No. 119 overall and No. 3 among quarterbacks by Rivals.com … ranked No. 5 dual-threat quarterback nationally by 247sports.com … ranked No. 6 quarterback nationally by Scout.com … rated by SuperPrep as the No. 1 quarterback and No. 16 player overall from Texas … also part of the SuperPrep All-American 290 as the No. 6 quarterback … ranked No. 21 on the Austin American-Stateman’s Fab 55 … chose A&M over offers from Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, and Oklahoma State.

We say that we want highly recruited Texas recruits. His credentials seem to indicate that he would at least get the chance to compete against a walk on from CA who is yet to win a game. He threw an interception, like every qb on this team has this season. What is this saying to the TX high school coaches?

There you have it-well said.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby ftworthmustang » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm pretty sure they didn't the use the Run & Shoot offense at Klein Forest HS. It appears that our coaches are staying with the R&S this year. Krstich is a R&S QB. Let Davis show what he has for the new coaches in a new offense. Putting him out there in this offense is not productive.
ftworthmustang
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 pm

dirtysouthpony wrote:

He did get the chance to compete and he lost (against Burcham and Krstich). And why the hell would any TX HS coach care about the decisions of a staff that will be gone in 60 days?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:45 pm

ponyboy wrote:I would start Davis and not look back.

I agree with myself.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football