PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Can we bring back June??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Can we bring back June??

Postby mustangxc » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 pm

It goes to show you how amazing Garrett Gilbert was for us last year. I still don't understand how our defense collapsed as badly as it has.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU2007 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:35 pm

They are always on the field bc our offense unbelievably horrible.
SMU2007

Postby Fresno Mustang » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:00 pm

SMU2007 wrote:They are always on the field bc our offense unbelievably horrible.

This^ and Gilbert hid a lot of holes for us. The defense wasn't exactly the Seahawks last year. They gave up a lot of points in games last year, remember the temple game? Gilbert and the offense just put up more in those wins.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:39 pm

I think SMU is wasting an opportunity to see what the freshman QB can do-haven't heard what he has done in practice but give him a shot-it can't get any worse. See if he can play so we know what we have in 2015. Otherwise we could be stuck with an inexperienced QB next year too. Mason said he will reevaluate QB during off week. hope that's what he means
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:23 pm

I tend to agree that no RS should be protected at this point; good chance most of our FR will be recruited over and never see any playing time...or you just might find out there are some players sitting who could really spark this team.
Charleston Pony

Postby sbsmith » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Stallion wrote:I think SMU is wasting an opportunity to see what the freshman QB can do-haven't heard what he has done in practice but give him a shot-it can't get any worse. See if he can play so we know what we have in 2015. Otherwise we could be stuck with an inexperienced QB next year too. Mason said he will reevaluate QB during off week. hope that's what he means

Surely the new guy will bring in a few experienced options at QB (JUCO/graduate transfer). I can't imagine he'll entertain starting any of our current QBs.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby yakastang » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:53 am

Fresno Mustang, curious about your stats on freshman qb Cassel so I researched him just for fun. I agree with not offering qbs under 50% completion rate. But you were a little off on this one. 59.7 comp. rate, 27 tds, 6 picks in his junior year.
Broke his leg part way into his senior season. Even so he broke every record at his high school set buy Cary Conklin qb UW and Washington Redskins. Broke every record in his conference except one set buy Drew Bledsoe qb WA. State and 14 years in the NFL, probowler, qb for the Pats. He was on pace to break all his own records as well as the one record still held buy Bledsoe when he broke his leg.
I found he was rated #2 in the state under Max Brown #1 national recruit now at USC. #3 was Sefo Liofou starting qb at Colorado, at the time he broke his leg. Too bad.
Sounds like a potential winner given the right system and coach.
Think he thought he had the right system and coach. Bad choice maybe, but you never know what the future brings.
yakastang
Recruit

Postby shadowman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 am

Charleston Pony wrote:it really is sad that the guy who briefly gave us hope has probably brought the program to it's lowest point since the death penalty.

This is spot on. During June's tenure, we were lucky to be in a conference with some of the worst teams in the nation, which we beat, each year, got a tick over 500...but it was no real success, a better coach than June would have had us winning championships.

Too many of the Pony faithful were too giddy going 8-6 and going to a third class bowl and beating a team that did not want to be there because they fell just a bit short of what they wanted their season to be.

Make no Mistake, June Jones did nothing for this program, he just stumbled into getting paid 2 million dollars each year for beating some of the cruddiest teams in the nation. Now his sorry track record at recruiting has finally caught up with us.

Worst hire ever. I called for him to be fired 5 years ago, but too many sunshiners thought it was great that we could beat UAB and Tulane and go the to Weedeater bowl.

Now we get what we deserve.

Learn from the mistake and lets move forward.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:10 am

Stallion wrote:I think SMU is wasting an opportunity to see what the freshman QB can do-haven't heard what he has done in practice but give him a shot-it can't get any worse. See if he can play so we know what we have in 2015. Otherwise we could be stuck with an inexperienced QB next year too. Mason said he will reevaluate QB during off week. hope that's what he means

They've already redshirted for 6 games. Unless they will help win a few there is too much downside and burning a red shirt like that is something tiki will do. You're worried about having an inexperienced qb next year? 1/3 to 1/2 of the starters on this team Will be true freshman and juco. Plenty of room for them to have growing pains
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby mavsrage311 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:29 pm

NO redshirts wasted this far into the season for a team with no shot at a bowl game. NO NO NO
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 pm

7 games
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:25 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:

They've already redshirted for 6 games. Unless they will help win a few there is too much downside and burning a red shirt like that is something tiki will do. You're worried about having an inexperienced qb next year? 1/3 to 1/2 of the starters on this team Will be true freshman and juco. Plenty of room for them to have growing pains

Exactly. Why let this idiotic staff burn redshirts in an attempt to 'evaluate' anything? Is the new staff gonna rely on anything Phillips or Morrison have to say?......absolutely not. Let them make their own evaluations in person once they step foot on campus.

Depending on their scheme they will weed these guys out quickly. Our current group of QB's have very different skills.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:03 pm

I tend to agree with Stallion. I would prefer the freshman get the kinks out of his game in a year where we might go 0-12, so that next year he has a 1/2 season under his belt. That way, we don't have to have another 0-12 year while the red-shirt freshman gets the kinks out of his game. He at least can learn to read defenses this year. The downside obviously is if he gets a career ending injury.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Previous

Return to Football