PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will we get the true story?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Will we get the true story?

Postby Big12Mustang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:23 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:
AustinPerson wrote:What does the person who was trying to sell $400 club level seats think about the program? He seems to be really on top of things and good at judging situations.

Now that's just mean.

Yep
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKris89 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:48 am

smumustang1980 wrote:I think SMU is committed, finally, to rebuilding a competitive program. The intent may have been there before with the hiring of June Jones, however the experience with this disaster will perhaps give SMU the political will to make the right decisions. I won't be surprised if SMU announces that Mack Brown is the new coach. I think it's in his hands now, because the offer has been made. The question is will he take the challenge?

So, how sure are you that he was offered the job? How "in the loop" is your source?

If he has been offered, then I can only assume that they think he is seriously interested.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:14 am

Mack has not been nor will he be offered the job.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:18 am

AustinPerson wrote:What does the person who was trying to sell $400 club level seats think about the program? He seems to be really on top of things and good at judging situations.

In hindsight I would have been willing to pay the $400 in order to have easy access to a lot of liquor.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyinNC » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:59 am

Who truly cares anymore? We don't deserve to be a D1 football program. No admin support. No fan support. High school talent on the field. A university president that doesn't seem to care.

Why are any of us even fans of this crap? I've got better things to do with my Saturdays.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Will we get the true story?

Postby SMU2007 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:22 am

We had admin support. The fan support and high school talent are related and you can thank old mr June for that. Turns out that no one wants to watch a mediocre/sh*tty team in a bottom tier conference play no name opponents. Crazy, I know.

Edit: Fan support was bad pre-June, I know. But made worse with a terrible team this year and no reason to gain any fans.
SMU2007

Postby FriscoChuck » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:36 am

We suck this year but with a new coach staff this thing can turn fast. With hope some fans will return. With wins more fans will return. However the expectation is that 35,000 fans will not come consistently until we win consistently and that could take 5 years.
FriscoChuck
All-American

Postby smumustang1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:41 am

gostangs wrote:Mack has not been nor will he be offered the job.

SMU has made the offer. We shall see what unfolds.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:54 am

SMU has not made any such offer. He is not who we want.
gostangs

Postby smumustang1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:03 am

PonyKris89 wrote:
smumustang1980 wrote:I think SMU is committed, finally, to rebuilding a competitive program. The intent may have been there before with the hiring of June Jones, however the experience with this disaster will perhaps give SMU the political will to make the right decisions. I won't be surprised if SMU announces that Mack Brown is the new coach. I think it's in his hands now, because the offer has been made. The question is will he take the challenge?

So, how sure are you that he was offered the job? How "in the loop" is your source?

If he has been offered, then I can only assume that they think he is seriously interested.

His counsel is close to SMU, although publicly he explained that Mack loves his ESPN job, and won't make any decision until December. He didn't deny the rumors.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:38 am

FWIW, I sat at the table with Hart in the Mustang Club tent before last year's Memphis game. He was engaged and enthusiastic when discussing New Moody, but when I asked about football recruiting he said something about former Mustangs in the NFL, then excused himself because he "needed to check out the stadium" or some equally lame reason.

I had the impression that he recognized the problem and didn't want to discuss it.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Topper » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:14 am

smumustang1980 wrote:
PonyKris89 wrote:

His counsel is close to SMU, although publicly he explained that Mack loves his ESPN job, and won't make any decision until December. He didn't deny the rumors.

I think it is doubtful that anyone has been offered the job at this point. Joe Jamail has no loyalty to anyone but Joe Jamail and his client, so it is a little silly to think that Brown might come here out of some altruistic desire to help SMU. Now if Jamail was willing to bankroll a new swim center here like the one at UT it would be worth talking about.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:37 pm

LA,

I have been a pony fan since I first saw Chuck Hixson at the Cotton Bowl.

Last January, when they 'extended' JJ, for the first time in almost 45 years, I walked away from SMU FB. Completely wrote them off. Had no idea when they were playing games (realized they had lost to Baylor by reading a comment on a BB thread), had no idea JJ quit (well, he quit years ago but I mean finally physically leaving Dallas) until once again I read a comment on a BB thread.

RGT says he's committed to FB. Jury is still out with me on that one.

They say they couldn't afford the buyout. Look at Ford yesterday and next Saturday and you see the consequences. You will also see the consequences next year and the following year as well.

JJ left us high and dry. Shame on us (looking at you RGT) for allowing it to happen.

Friarwolf, a great poster, says a big complaint he has with RGT is his inability to hold those underneath him accountable for their actions (Dean N @ b-school comes to mind).

Apparently this character flaw extends to athletics as well.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:40 pm

ponyinNC wrote:Who truly cares anymore? We don't deserve to be a D1 football program. No admin support. No fan support. High school talent on the field. A university president that doesn't seem to care.

Why are any of us even fans of this crap? I've got better things to do with my Saturdays.

Love your fandom...wow.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:25 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:LA,

I have been a pony fan since I first saw Chuck Hixson at the Cotton Bowl.

Last January, when they 'extended' JJ, for the first time in almost 45 years, I walked away from SMU FB. Completely wrote them off. Had no idea when they were playing games (realized they had lost to Baylor by reading a comment on a BB thread), had no idea JJ quit (well, he quit years ago but I mean finally physically leaving Dallas) until once again I read a comment on a BB thread.

RGT says he's committed to FB. Jury is still out with me on that one.

They say they couldn't afford the buyout. Look at Ford yesterday and next Saturday and you see the consequences. You will also see the consequences next year and the following year as well.

JJ left us high and dry. Shame on us (looking at you RGT) for allowing it to happen.

Friarwolf, a great poster, says a big complaint he has with RGT is his inability to hold those underneath him accountable for their actions (Dean N @ b-school comes to mind).

Apparently this character flaw extends to athletics as well.

I might be a young gun, but anyone with eyes can see that turner has been and will continue to be a problem. Dude doesn't care about anything but fountains and $$$$$.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football