PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will we get the true story?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will we get the true story?

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:13 pm

This program is gutted - talent, support and interest. I would like to know if June truly had the staff handcuffed when it came to recruiting, or if Mason, Morrison, Phillips, Hill and Odum checked out as well. And if June was holding the staff back why did they stick around? This has been building for three years, and it wasn't hard to see where the program was heading. Anyone with the internet and $10 a month for a recruiting pay site could see it.

Mason has said all the right things since taking over but isn't he partly responsible for this mess as a led recruiter the past several years? Why wasn't he focusing on DFW schools before? Why wasn't he tweeting about it before? I appreciate that he's trying to get the kids through the season and staying positive but it is what it is at this point.

Lastly, I have no idea what the truth is about the personal situation with June. I wish him the best but until it's confirmed otherwise, he completely quit on our school, our kids and our coaches. That is shameful.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Will we get the true story?

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:17 pm

June was so laid back that they probably did what they wanted to do locally. The current coaches have said the talent level is fine in AAC. That is what they believe and that is why SMU needs to clean house imo.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:27 pm

I would like to get the story from someone on the inside about what the culture was like within the staff. I'm sure we'll never get that but when a program is left in this state the fan base deserves some kind of answers. The CofC definitely deserves that.

LA_Mustang

Postby ojaipony » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:30 pm

$$
ojaipony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:36 pm

RGT should be somewhat held accountable for this mess.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Rebel10 wrote:RGT should be somewhat held accountable for this mess.

Agree. He created/deepened the divides within this university community that allowed June Jones to hang on for so long.
CalallenStang

Postby ftworthmustang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:43 pm

LA_Mustang wrote: Anyone with the internet and $10 a month for a recruiting pay site could see it.

Didn't even need $10 a month to see it. It was pretty obvious to anyone to looked at who we signed the last several years. I don't say recruited, because its not recruiting just to offer a kid scholarship. I''ll bet we could train a lemur to offer someone a scholarship.
ftworthmustang
Varsity

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:46 pm

I'm sure that there is a dissatisfied lemur out there somewhere that would do it...
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:49 pm

No doubt. This is a MAJOR rebuilding project and I feel for Hart having to find a qualified candidate willing to take on this mess.

LA_Mustang

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:59 pm

I talked with Coach Mason Thursday evening at Manny's in Uptown. I was very interested in getting to the truth concerning SMU's recruiting policies, real or implicit. He said something I thought was telling: when I asked him what he knew of the recruiting policies while an assistant he said that June Jones kept the relationship with Turner and the SMU administration to himself. In short, as an assistant Mason said he didn't know much about the recruiting policies or what Turner's stance was on recruiting. While SMU may have policies, there appears to be a behind the scenes set of implicit practices which may have played a significant role in recruiting. Again, what is the truth? Mason doesn't know himself.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:01 pm

CalallenStang wrote:

Agree. He created/deepened the divides within this university community that allowed June Jones to hang on for so long.

President Turner has either by design or default, failed to lead. I can't read his mind. I hear what he says publicly, and yet I doubt his sincerity. He may be sincere. The results over more than a decade say otherwise.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby SMU2007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:05 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:This program is gutted - talent, support and interest. I would like to know if June truly had the staff handcuffed when it came to recruiting, or if Mason, Morrison, Phillips, Hill and Odum checked out as well. And if June was holding the staff back why did they stick around? This has been building for three years, and it wasn't hard to see where the program was heading. Anyone with the internet and $10 a month for a recruiting pay site could see it.

Mason has said all the right things since taking over but isn't he partly responsible for this mess as a led recruiter the past several years? Why wasn't he focusing on DFW schools before? Why wasn't he tweeting about it before? I appreciate that he's trying to get the kids through the season and staying positive but it is what it is at this point.

Exactly why people who even suggest for one second that mason should/could have a shot to be the permanent HC are a joke.

And the truth with June is as straightforward as it seems. He didn't care, saw the writing on the wall, and bolted.
SMU2007

Postby AustinPerson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:11 pm

What does the person who was trying to sell $400 club level seats think about the program? He seems to be really on top of things and good at judging situations.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:21 pm

AustinPerson wrote:What does the person who was trying to sell $400 club level seats think about the program? He seems to be really on top of things and good at judging situations.

Now that's just mean.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:23 pm

I think SMU is committed, finally, to rebuilding a competitive program. The intent may have been there before with the hiring of June Jones, however the experience with this disaster will perhaps give SMU the political will to make the right decisions. I won't be surprised if SMU announces that Mack Brown is the new coach. I think it's in his hands now, because the offer has been made. The question is will he take the challenge?
smumustang1980
All-American

Next

Return to Football