PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Time to start thinking about a Mack Brown program

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Well, what are the opinions? If Mack took the job, would he be successful? If he had 8 years and a coach in waiting, could he turn SMU into a championship team within the AAC?
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Re: Time to start thinking about a Mack Brown program

Postby Big12Mustang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:55 pm

smumustang1980 wrote:Well, what are the opinions? If Mack took the job, would he be successful? If he had 8 years and a coach in waiting, could he turn SMU into a championship team within the AAC?

He could turn us into a top 25 power and get us BCS buster level respect. This would be a great chance for him to shine.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:02 pm

He's the next SMU coach.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Big12Mustang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 pm

smumustang1980 wrote:He's the next SMU coach.

Have you heard something to corroborate that or just your prediction?
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby fifty » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:55 pm

At least he could probably get us a qb.
fifty
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:16 am

No. Just no.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:11 am

Mack Brown doesn't bring what Larry Brown does, so I don't think he's the answer. Can't compare what he accomplished at UNC or Texas to the task ahead at SMU. We need a great salesman who is also a really good football coach because he's going to have to convince his staff, the current roster, recruits, the SMU community (by that I mean students, faculty & staff) and the casual DFW sports fan that SMU football can become relevant once again. No small task and I don't see Mack as energetic enough to be the guy

Larry Brown was a rock star from the moment he set foot on campus, but so was June Jones. Only difference is that Larry brought a work ethic and caring demeanor with him. I'm just not sure Mack would bring the same
Charleston Pony

Postby San Antonio Mustang » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:55 am

Mack has all the skills and the personality to be the best coach SMU has ever had. There is no question he could turn the program around. He can be every bit as good as Larry Brown. The question is does he have the desire?
San Antonio Mustang
All-American

Postby smumustang1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:15 am

Big12Mustang wrote:
smumustang1980 wrote:He's the next SMU coach.

Have you heard something to corroborate that or just your prediction?

I'm not making a prediction, because it's a decision Mack has to make. At this point, I don't have a pony in this race - just the juice.
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:30 am

Mack does want to nor will be the coach of SMU. No interest from either side
smupony94

Postby West Coast Johnny » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:13 am

Mack Brown would improve SMU from where it is now (who wouldn't?). He'd immediately get SMU in the door at most every HS prospect in the state. As far as actual coaching is concerned, he wouldn't do any and would instead rely on his coordinators. This model didn't work very well the last few years at Texas, even with 4 & 5 star recruits. If you want Mack Brown, you better get out your check book for him and a huge budget for assistant coaches because that is the only way he will go to SMU and make it work... and it just won't happen.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby smumustang1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:26 am

West Coast Johnny wrote:Mack Brown would improve SMU from where it is now (who wouldn't?). He'd immediately get SMU in the door at most every HS prospect in the state. As far as actual coaching is concerned, he wouldn't do any and would instead rely on his coordinators. This model didn't work very well the last few years at Texas, even with 4 & 5 star recruits. If you want Mack Brown, you better get out your check book for him and a huge budget for assistant coaches because that is the only way he will go to SMU and make it work... and it just won't happen.

The checkbook is out at SMU. That much I know.
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Junior » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:31 am

So you want to hire an old, supposedly washed up coach who no one thinks will succeed you're on the hilltop? When's the last time that happened?

Oh yeah. LB. 
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby smumustang1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:54 am

Junior wrote:So you want to hire an old, supposedly washed up coach who no one thinks will succeed you're on the hilltop? When's the last time that happened?

Oh yeah. LB. 

I didn't say this was my idea. I'm not sure it's the best solution for SMU. I'd rather see Chad Morris. Nevertheless, this is what's in the works.
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:59 am

smumustang1980 wrote:
Junior wrote:So you want to hire an old, supposedly washed up coach who no one thinks will succeed you're on the hilltop? When's the last time that happened?

Oh yeah. LB. 

I didn't say this was my idea. I'm not sure it's the best solution for SMU. I'd rather see Chad Morris. Nevertheless, this is what's in the works.

I would be careful about making predictions regarding coaching hires....last time I did, I received hell from some of the posters here :lol:
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football