PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cavan in the Hotseat

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cavan in the Hotseat

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:40 am

<A HREF="http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,4003531_56,00.html" TARGET=_blank>Coaches in the Hotseat</A>

Cavan is in the 5th hottest seat. Very interesting link.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Cavan in the Hotseat

Postby PonyExpress » Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:35 am

He should be on the hotseat. If he doesn't win this year, Copeland needs to pull the trigger.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby ChrisFowler » Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:00 pm

Cavan shouldn't even have a seat.

Look at what John Robinson has done at UNLV - in a comparable situation to SMU four years ago - or, dare I say, the one Dennis "I'll take a side of" Francione did at TCU.

Leading the team to fewer wins - again - last year, and attracting only 14,000 fans to Homecoming at a first-year, $56-million stadium, should have gotten him cashiered in time for - he'd like to think - Jim Donnan's job at Georgia.
ChrisFowler
Recruit

Postby Dement-ed » Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:02 pm

That's good stuff by ChrisFowler. If Robinson can make a football program at basketballU in Vegas, a name coach sure could do that in Dallas. The outline has been laid out. Eat the financial cost for a year or two and get a name coach. Hell, if he's got a big enough name, there's an alum or 12 out there who I'm sure would foot the bill.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Horseshoe » Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:05 pm

Cavan will be offered the head coaching job with the Dallas Cowboys before he's offered a big job at Jaw-juh. Partially because the Jaw-juh AD (Vince Dooley?) is miles smarter than Jerry. Looking at Jerry's track record, he just might have Cavan in his crosshairs to be his next toy coach in Irving. You have to give Cavan credit for wanting the UGA job - it's better football than the Cowboys play, too.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Bballer » Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Horseshoe:
<B>Cavan will be offered the head coaching job with the Dallas Cowboys before he's offered a big job at Jaw-juh. Partially because the Jaw-juh AD (Vince Dooley?) is miles smarter than Jerry. Looking at Jerry's track record, he just might have Cavan in his crosshairs to be his next toy coach in Irving. You have to give Cavan credit for wanting the UGA job - it's better football than the Cowboys play, too.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there is a strong connection between Cavan and Dooley, but I am by no means saying he is going there, unless he bought season tickets.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Vitale » Sun Jun 24, 2001 5:11 pm

Didn't Cavan hire Derek Dooley (AD's son, I think) as a way of kissing up to the big man in Athens for a job? Yeah, THAT will work. And now that DD has moved on to LSU, that chance is gone. Don't know what connection Cavan still has out there.
Vitale
All-American

Return to Football