PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who else gets the feeling that many players have checked out

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who else gets the feeling that many players have checked out

Postby smumustang1980 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:48 pm

How many of you get the feeling that some or many of our key players have checked out in some foolish protest in support of their beloved June Jones? Something is just not right about their morale, although I suppose that's normal considering the circumstances. I know there were stories of fights in practice, and I've read what some have said in support of June on Twitter and other social media. I'm beginning to wonder...
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Re: Who else gets the feeling that many players have checked

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:58 pm

0-6 will kill morale in any team. Everyone is just waiting for the season to end and the new coach to get hired.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Can't discount their realization that, collectively, they are all epically failing in a season-long audition for their football future. They know there are few D1 schools who will take any of them, and the realization may be setting in that this is the end. Either way, the new best recruiting pitch this winter will be "you know you can start as a freshman!"
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Why would seniors mail it in? Unless you were certain the CFL/NFL was in your future, you are playing the final games of your football career. If you are an underclassman and want to transfer at the end of the semester, mailing it in this season won't bolster your resume. If you are an underclassman and want to stay, lackluster effort on film won't impress the next coaching staff.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby covok48 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:56 pm

1980 do you honestly think our morale was somehow higher during the first 3 games?

I don't think the players ever checked in at any point during this season.
---------------

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning isn't very exciting." -- [deleted] Vermeil
covok48
Junior Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:05 am

I thought that the team was reasonably balanced and ready to play at the start of the Cincy game, but by the end of the first quarter and down 3 scores they had started to pack it in. One of my real problems was at the very end of the first half down by 4 scores when the coaching staff, with 3 time outs in hand with 23 seconds left on the Cincy 45 yards line, chose to let the clock run out and walk into the half time. In my opinion, they should have used the time outs and run rougly 4 plays in some attempt to score and go into the half in a little better situation. Hence, I think the coaching staff had also checked out and did not really know what to do to get the team going.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EconPony'10 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:26 am

I really hope the players have not checked out. I was a part of the back to back 1-11 seasons in 2007 and 2008 so I know what it's like to have huge losing seasons. I remember we fought like hell that last year with Bennett as the coach and we lost so many close games it was ridiculous. We kept fighting all the way until the last game @ Memphis when we lost in overtime (another heartbreak). There was no checking out with us and we knew Bennett was not going to be around but we still played for each other and our coaches because they still cared about us and coached as hard as they could till the end.

I can remember my position coach sitting with his wife after the last game knowing he was about to lose his job and it was tough to see because the whole season they didn't show any signs of letting up and kept us motivated.

I truly hope the coaches and the players have not given up but it is tough to argue that they haven't. I hope this team is just that incredibly bad and they haven't given up. They may very well go down as one of the worst D1 college football teams ever.

Here is that 2007 season before June came. 3 OT losses and 2 last second losses to Tulsa and Rice.

September 3 3:00 PM Texas Tech* ESPN L 9–49 26,969
September 8 7:00 PM North Texas* W 45–31 20,517
September 15 6:00 PM at Arkansas State* L 28–45 17,465
September 22 7:30 PM at TCU* L 7–21 31,511
September 29 3:30 PM UTEP L 45–48 OT 16,464
October 13 6:30 PM at Southern Miss L 7–28 31,253
October 20 7:00 PM Tulane L 34–41 OT 14,901
October 27 2:00 PM at Tulsa L 23–29 18,853
November 4 7:00 PM at Houston ESPN L 28–38 22,774
November 10 2:00 PM Rice L 42–43 13,902
November 17 2:00 PM Central Florida L 20–49 10,271
November 24 1:00 PM at Memphis L 52–55 OT 20,184
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:34 am

This season is a total nightmare. If the players have checked out, I can't say I'm surprised. The only points in the season where the team has shown any signs of life are for about 5 minutes in the TCU game, most of the ECU game, and for one drive this past Saturday. And they've never come close to sniffing a W at any time. The team has been physically outmatched in every phase against every opponent throughout the season. That would beat down anyone.

That being said, I don't get the sense that it is any kind of protest against the school for June leaving. I think they are just physically and mentally beat down and are counting games until this nightmare ends. And lots of these kids know they have no future at SMU come the new coaching staff.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Billy Joe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:38 am

Team was not ready to play against Baylor and quit against N. Texas. Blame the AD and President of University for allowing June to stick around when he tried to leave for Arizona St. SMU did not have a plan and was caught off guard. The schedule was too difficult and this team never had a chance before the season started. This is one of the worst run programs in the country. SMU has too much money and resources to be the whipping boys of college football.
Billy Joe
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 am

I sense this team checked out during offseason weight and conditioning program
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:54 am

when did they check in?
Nacho

Postby ponyte » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:06 am

Well, we blamed the Circle of Champions for giving up 10-14 million dollars. We blamed the President for not committing to the program. WE blamed the coach for not recruiting, not being interested, trying to take other jobs, etc. Blame the interim HC even though he found out he was the interim HC 10 minutes before JJ announced he quit. We blamed the fans for putting up with all this.

So we finally got around to blaming the players.

Whose left to blame now? Bush?
ponyte

Postby EconPony'10 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 am

ponyte wrote:Well, we blamed the Circle of Champions for giving up 10-14 million dollars. We blamed the President for not committing to the program. WE blamed the coach for not recruiting, not being interested, trying to take other jobs, etc. Blame the interim HC even though he found out he was the interim HC 10 minutes before JJ announced he quit. We blamed the fans for putting up with all this.

So we finally got around to blaming the players.

Whose left to blame now? Bush?

Obama and or the CDC
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby Digetydog » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:54 am

I wonder how many people have competed with little/no hope at winning. It is exhausting. For the most part, I believe that they are doing the best they can with what they have.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:55 am

Stallion wrote:I sense this team checked out during offseason weight and conditioning program

ding ding, we have a winner. Couldn't tell in practice because everyone lost size and strength equally, but it is apparent that this team is significantly smaller and weaker than last season's team.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football