PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is the team punishing the fans?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is the team punishing the fans?

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:08 pm

AustinPerson wrote:I wonder if there's really a point in SMU fielding a division 1 football team and giving out 100 athletic scholarships. Maybe dump the football players and replace them with 50 academic scholarships? Maybe the univ of Chicago approach.

The difference was UChicago dropped football when it was still relatively competitive, as one of the founding members of the conference and it's a legitimate top 5/10 academic institution. But o get your point. You have to wonder if We should strive to be like Georgetown with a top academic program as a basketball schoolthan throwing good money after bad in the football program. It's beyond frustrating to be the whipping boy week in and week out. And I know I can't wait for basketball season
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:29 pm

With all due respect to you dads of SMU football players, Please quit defending the quitters. Anybody that has watched these games
can see the give up all over the field. 1989 team was 75% true Freshman, Red Shirt Freshman, and holdover freshman from DP and were totally overmatched
and they knew it, but we never saw give up on that team.

Nobody called out any players by name, but if the shoe fits, then EFFING wear it. If your kids are playing hard, then great, but
quit defending those nameless others that are not fighting out there. When they get recruited over, you will be thankful.

Some of us long time SMU fans have seen all kinds of losing, but never, anything like what we have here.

There is more than enough blame to go around, and the players can surely take some of it.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby coloradoStang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:36 am

Speaking as a student zach wood and a few others are studs and have respect from the student body.
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:50 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
footballdad wrote:It's Ok Stallion, now your jealousy and animosity toward those 'free ride' football players makes perfect sense. Poor baby from East Texas who could never make a varsity team takes pathetic pleasure in talking trash about the kids who remind him of those bad, bad football bullies who took his lunch money and gave him wedgies. :lol:

Gosh, you're really revealing your true colors in terms of ignorance, immaturity, and classlessness now.

If us saying that some of the players on the team now who either aren't talented enough or aren't working hard enough to be on an FBS roster need to go after this season when the new regime takes over gets you so riled up, that's a damning indictment of your son (whoever he may be).

Against my better judgment, I've been at every home SMU game this season (as well as the UNT game in Denton) to support our players, and I'll be at the game on Saturday. With that said, some of them aren't talented enough and/or aren't working hard enough to be here next year. That's just a fact when you're 0-6 and the worst program in FBS -- some guys have gotta go. Happens everywhere, and SMU will be no exception.

"against my better judgement".......why don't you just stay at home then?

I know, because it's more fun to go to a game you hate, just so you can watch every detail, and then report back to the board how horrible everything is and what a waste of time it was.

Makes sense.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 am

AustinPerson wrote:I wonder if there's really a point in SMU fielding a division 1 football team and giving out 100 athletic scholarships. Maybe dump the football players and replace them with 50 academic scholarships? Maybe the univ of Chicago approach.

Didn't know SMU had 15 more scholarships than everybody else? Wow, we must really suck if we have 15 more scholarships and we're still 0-6. Better shut this thing down immediately!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:56 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:

The difference was UChicago dropped football when it was still relatively competitive, as one of the founding members of the conference and it's a legitimate top 5/10 academic institution. But o get your point. You have to wonder if We should strive to be like Georgetown with a top academic program as a basketball schoolthan throwing good money after bad in the football program. It's beyond frustrating to be the whipping boy week in and week out. And I know I can't wait for basketball season

"it's a legitimate top 5/10 academic institution"......big difference.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 am

PonyKris89 wrote:With all due respect to you dads of SMU football players, Please quit defending the quitters. Anybody that has watched these games
can see the give up all over the field. 1989 team was 75% true Freshman, Red Shirt Freshman, and holdover freshman from DP and were totally overmatched
and they knew it, but we never saw give up on that team.

Nobody called out any players by name, but if the shoe fits, then EFFING wear it. If your kids are playing hard, then great, but
quit defending those nameless others that are not fighting out there. When they get recruited over, you will be thankful.

Some of us long time SMU fans have seen all kinds of losing, but never, anything like what we have here.

There is more than enough blame to go around, and the players can surely take some of it.

Another psychic. :roll: Please quit defending yourself and stay home. Come back next year when you'll have less to complain about.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKris89 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 am

Whatever sir, I don't even know what you just said, and I really don't care.

Have you ever seen coaches call out players either individually or as a team for quitting?
Of course you have, and while most of those guys might be classless jerks, they are also almost always right.

So with one of the worst football teams in D1 history you apparently think nobody has quit on this team.
Whatever man. Even former players have said as much.

And here's a tip, instead of telling all is SMU fans to stay away from the game,
Why don't you just stay off PonyFans. You obviously can't handle it.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:29 am

"My son is getting a $200,000 education for free by being a member of one of the worst FBS teams in recent history, so I'm going to go online and talk crap to the few fans who still bother to come out and support him on Saturdays, because they're obviously the problem." -footballdad
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BIGHORSE » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:38 am

The thing is MOST, not all, but most of our players and thier parents only care

the few years they are here, after they graduate you never see them again.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:06 am

It's Ok Stallion, now your jealousy and animosity toward those 'free ride' football players makes perfect sense. Poor baby from East Texas who could never make a varsity team takes pathetic pleasure in talking trash about the kids who remind him of those bad, bad football bullies who took his lunch money and gave him wedgies. :lol:[/quote]

This guy is the best thing to happen to the internet since Al Gore.

I played football, baseball, track, power-lifting, and golf in high school for the mighty Lone Oak Buffaloes but hey.....I'm not gonna try to sit here and say I was some sort of athletic phenom. I wasn't at all.

I truly feel sorry for your son if you feel the best way to spend your time is to publicly berate the fans of the university that is providing him with a free education. If you or your son hate it here and want to take every opportunity to insult and belittle the university then why are either of you here? Seriously. If the free $250K education that SMU is providing your son to play football is so awful then simply leave. I'm sure there are multiple D2 programs that will offer your son the kind of educational opportunities and post-graduate connections that SMU offers. I'm sure you'd be happier there.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby AustinPerson » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 am

It's amazing to think that almost 30 years past the death penalty would be SMU's worst team ever. We thought we got past the winless teams in a terrible conferences several years ago. Geez. There might be no point in the school wasting time with football.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:44 am

AustinPerson wrote:It's amazing to think that almost 30 years past the death penalty would be SMU's worst team ever. We thought we got past the winless teams in a terrible conferences several years ago. Geez. There might be no point in the school wasting time with football.

Its not time to call it quits yet. Lets try....FOR ONCE.... to hire a staff that understands how to sell this program to recruits, fans, and the Dallas area. Coaches prior to June Jones had to deal with the admissions/academic hurdles. Those are totally irrelevant now. We still haven't tried to play at a level playing field with our peers with a staff of coaches that understand this area in the past 30 years. Lets try it and see if it works. If we are still having this discussion in 5 years then yes. It might be time to call it quits. Not yet though.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:58 am

AustinPerson is always trolling the boards with a defeatist attitude. SMU is as well positioned as any G5 school to have a nationally relevant football program
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:02 am

Even if we had the right staff that sold the program to recruits, what recruit in their right mind would choose SMU over a Texas, A&M, OU, etc scholarship. That will not happen in my lifetime.
Pony ^

PreviousNext

Return to Football