PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is the team punishing the fans?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is the team punishing the fans?

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:44 am

Big12Mustang wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:If we give up on football, we will become irrelevant in Texas like UTA, Dallas Baptist and others. That is not the direction I want the program to take...I'll take the Baylor/TCU challenge instead. Hire the right coaches, which we have not done since 1989. We need this generations Ron Meyer, a guy that will captivate Dallas.

False. SMU would continue to be a Top 50 academic institution without football. We have a $1.5B endowment and a national student body. We would not become UT-Dallas, Houston Baptist, Abilene Crhstian or whatever. We could buy those schools ten times over. Get real.

Get real. Look at how much Baylor and TCU moved up in USNews rankings while we remained stuck at 58, for what, 3 years straight? TCU moved like 8 spots!! Kids don't respect SMU anymore because of our pitiful football program, ask any kid in Texas High schools where they would like to go and immediately they say TCU, Baylor or one of the publics...asked about SMU and they say "ewww, SMU sucks". Believe we are untouchable? Get real. We aren't even AAU which is embarrassing.

Our average SAT score for this incoming freshmen class is light years ahead of TCU, Baylor, Texas, and A&M and IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE. Those schools are in SMU's rear view mirror and that ain't gonna change if we drop football.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:46 am

Big12Mustang wrote:And say all you want about "oh we are targeting east coast kids". Newsflash, we are in Texas and there is no reason why we should have more than 60-70% of the kids come from Texas High Schools.

You can't be real. SMU is a national institution. Having 70% of students from Texas will only lower the prospective student pool and student quality.
StallionsModelT

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:49 am

We should just give Big12 and footballdad their own board
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby redpony » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:52 am

still waiting on a response from fbdad regarding the specifics.
redpony

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 am

StallionsModelT wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote:If we give up on football, we will become irrelevant in Texas like UTA, Dallas Baptist and others. That is not the direction I want the program to take...I'll take the Baylor/TCU challenge instead. Hire the right coaches, which we have not done since 1989. We need this generations Ron Meyer, a guy that will captivate Dallas.

False. SMU would continue to be a Top 50 academic institution without football. We have a $1.5B endowment and a national student body. We would not become UT-Dallas, Houston Baptist, Abilene Crhstian or whatever. We could buy those schools ten times over. Get real.

A lot closer to being Dallas Baptist than the university of Chicago. We can buy whatever we want :roll: Take away football and see how the big donors feel about that? You think money will keep flowing at the same level without football? You don't think Baylor and TCU donors are more generous now with nationally recognized football programs? You are the one that needs to get real.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 am

redpony wrote:still waiting on a response from fbdad regarding the specifics.

Give him some time, he has to make up most of it
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:58 am

footballdad wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:

A lot closer to being Dallas Baptist than the university of Chicago. We can buy whatever we want :roll: Take away football and see how the big donors feel about that? You think money will keep flowing at the same level without football? You don't think Baylor and TCU donors are more generous now with nationally recognized football programs? You are the one that needs to get real.

This.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Is the team punishing the fans?

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:03 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:We should just give Big12 and footballdad their own board

We are all fans and while our opinions differ, there's no need to hate on people that post here.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 am

footballdad wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:

Yeah being one of about 10 private schools to raise a billion dollars in six years (no Texas private other than Rice has come anywhere near that) makes us Dallas Baptist. Lets hope for junior's sake that the apple falls very far from the tree.
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 am

Pardon Me
Can someone direct me to the toilet?
I have a thread to flush
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:18 am

redpony wrote:fbdad- you have consistently blamed the school, the admin. and the coaches for our failure to become successful. I would like for you to tell us specifically what things the admin has failed to do, specifically what the school has failed to do and what the coaches have failed to do.

I'm not trying to be offensive. I would like to know the specifics. Many of us thought that the academic situation had changed and that the university was making the necessary changes to further support the student-athlete.

As fans many of us only see the result on the field and not a lot of the 'inner workings' that must be causing these problems. Please enlighten us.

Your answers have been posted here very eloquently by others many times, but I'll give you my 2 cent summary again:

First, to me the academic requirements/support is a non-issue and not related to my criticism of the school/admin. Turner has been the leader for a long time and he just hasn't been all that interested in football. Refusing to ax June & Co during the ASU debacle was very telling. He just wanted to have his cake and eat it too, so he allowed the mediocrity of the June regime to continue without ever really looking into what was really going on. (the laissez faire culture, lack of recruiting, basically just going thru the motions for a paycheck)

As far as the coaches it starts with the above and we could go on forever. I never had a personal ax to grind with June because deep down he seemed to care about the players in some weird way, but his arrogance over-rode all that. Whatever it was, the player support for him after he left shows this strange dynamic. The unquestionable reality about June is he was lazy, arrogant, indifferent to SMU, and put together a truly horrible staff. Start with Mel in the weight room and take your pick from there. It was equal parts poor football minds (simply not knowing how to coach the proper techniques and schemes) and poor attitudes/work ethic. The culture in the program is very poor and it developed from the leader and his staff.

I truly believe a new staff will change things quickly. Thus my irritation with the doom and gloom, we're going to suck for the next 5 years, shut the program down types.

I could certainly be wrong, we'll all find out shortly.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:34 am

footballdad wrote:
redpony wrote:fbdad- you have consistently blamed the school, the admin. and the coaches for our failure to become successful. I would like for you to tell us specifically what things the admin has failed to do, specifically what the school has failed to do and what the coaches have failed to do.

I'm not trying to be offensive. I would like to know the specifics. Many of us thought that the academic situation had changed and that the university was making the necessary changes to further support the student-athlete.

As fans many of us only see the result on the field and not a lot of the 'inner workings' that must be causing these problems. Please enlighten us.

Your answers have been posted here very eloquently by others many times, but I'll give you my 2 cent summary again:

First, to me the academic requirements/support is a non-issue and not related to my criticism of the school/admin. Turner has been the leader for a long time and he just hasn't been all that interested in football. Refusing to ax June & Co during the ASU debacle was very telling. He just wanted to have his cake and eat it too, so he allowed the mediocrity of the June regime to continue without ever really looking into what was really going on. (the laissez faire culture, lack of recruiting, basically just going thru the motions for a paycheck)

As far as the coaches it starts with the above and we could go on forever. I never had a personal ax to grind with June because deep down he seemed to care about the players in some weird way, but his arrogance over-rode all that. Whatever it was, the player support for him after he left shows this strange dynamic. The unquestionable reality about June is he was lazy, arrogant, indifferent to SMU, and put together a truly horrible staff. Start with Mel in the weight room and take your pick from there. It was equal parts poor football minds (simply not knowing how to coach the proper techniques and schemes) and poor attitudes/work ethic. The culture in the program is very poor and it developed from the leader and his staff.

I truly believe a new staff will change things quickly. Thus my irritation with the doom and gloom, we're going to suck for the next 5 years, shut the program down types.

So basically, nothing specific and no new insight. Thanks.
StallionsModelT

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:41 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
footballdad wrote:

So basically, nothing specific and no new insight. Thanks.

Hey, simple Jack, it's not rocket science. New coach, better staff, brighter future.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Is footballdad just a new genius troll identity of Big12?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:32 pm

couch 'em wrote:Is footballdad just a new genius troll identity of Big12?

I knew this was going to come out sooner or later :lol: get real
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football