PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Meanwhile at Marshall...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Meanwhile at Marshall...

Postby Big12Mustang » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 pm

I would advocate playing the same OOC schedule we had this year but I would rearrange the games so we could have them at different dates. Start the season vs an AAC team, play NT and BU/TT afterwards. Play A&M in Nov., and maybe have TCU be the last game.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 pm

diamond_tom wrote:True - but the formula worked. We need to bring in a staff that is going to recruit like LB's staff. But a football team needs a lot more players than a basketball team. They are not going to be able to load up a team after one year like LB did. Let's play some games we can win while the talent is being upgraded and get on the more favorable side of win/loss records.

What would you define "games we can win" as? We have NTSU and likely an FCS team on the schedule next year, are those "games we can win"? How much weaker do we need to make the schedule?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:28 pm

sbsmith wrote:
diamond_tom wrote:True - but the formula worked. We need to bring in a staff that is going to recruit like LB's staff. But a football team needs a lot more players than a basketball team. They are not going to be able to load up a team after one year like LB did. Let's play some games we can win while the talent is being upgraded and get on the more favorable side of win/loss records.

What would you define "games we can win" as? We have NTSU and likely an FCS team on the schedule next year, are those "games we can win"? How much weaker do we need to make the schedule?

Tom probably would prefer we just play the whole Southland conference, although I'm not sure we would squeak out more than 2 wins there at this anyway.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fifty » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Marshall is going to take the access bowl bid. Bank on it.
fifty
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:51 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
Tom probably would prefer we just play the whole Southland conference, although I'm not sure we would squeak out more than 2 wins there at this anyway.

True, at least half that league would beat us. Very few people realize just how bad our team is.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby West Coast Johnny » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 pm

I don't fault them because they probably will win every game on their schedule. But that schedule just plain sucks. I know that Marshall wants to play WVU every year but the Mountaineers aren't interested. But that schedule just plain sucks and they don't deserve a major bowl if they win out.

Also, SMU should hire Marshall's coach, whoever that is.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby diamond_tom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:47 pm

sbsmith wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:

True, at least half that league would beat us. Very few people realize just how bad our team is.

I'm a Southwest Conference guy. I've travelled to Lubbock, College Station, Waco and Fort Worth for the poundings we took in these games. I loved playing those teams and hope we meet them again in the Big 12 one day. We haven't been competitive with them for nearly 30 years now. I'm just looking to try a new approach.
diamond_tom
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:00 pm

diamond_tom wrote:I'm a Southwest Conference guy. I've travelled to Lubbock, College Station, Waco and Fort Worth for the poundings we took in these games. I loved playing those teams and hope we meet them again in the Big 12 one day. We haven't been competitive with them for nearly 30 years now. I'm just looking to try a new approach.

We haven't been competitive with them because we haven't had the coaching staff nor the admissions/academic model to get the talent necessary to do so. We have the model so now we need the staff. Let that be our new approach and see if it works before we just give up to play ball in the Southland Conference.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby jimhagle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 pm

Love the name of Marshall's coach-Doc Holiday.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 am

Better question is would we even have a winning record with their schedule?
Mustangs35SMU

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:Better question is would we even have a winning record with their schedule?

We'd be 1-11 with their schedule (the 1 being Rhode Island).

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Previous

Return to Football