PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How Many Legit D1A Players Do We Have?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How Many Legit D1A Players Do We Have?

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 am

I say 10-15 maximum. This is the slowest, least athletic and least competitive SMU team I've seen since I've been following the program back in 2001. It is truly astonishing. I honestly do not think we would win a game in the Lone Star Conference. If we were to play Abilene Christian they'd beat us by 30 points. As impossible as it is to imagine, June Jones is leaving this program from a talent level perspective far, far worse than when he arrived.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How Many Legit D1A Players Do We Have?

Postby knuckleup » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:36 am

Dude they all are. They are on a d1 team therefore legit d1 players. More curious on how many of the fat blogger (like me) have ever been good enough to play on d1 team. Not many I imagine.
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:48 am

Someone with a little extra time should list out each player with what offers they received. If you only take offers from respectable D1A programs we don't have a lot
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby knuckleup » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:53 am

Calling bs. We have had many one/none offer dudes do very well here. Coaching is a complete joke my man
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:02 pm

knuckleup wrote:Calling bs. We have had many one/none offer dudes do very well here. Coaching is a complete joke my man

I agree, I put the blame on coaching. These guys don't know what they are doing and they lost control of the locker room before that Baylor game imo.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 pm

knuckleup wrote:Calling bs. We have had many one/none offer dudes do very well here. Coaching is a complete joke my man

Coaching IS a big joke here no argument there. But statistical studies have shown repeatedly that higher recruited and higher rated players DO turn out to be better players, even if there are 5 star busts and 2 star legends out there from time to time.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby PonySnob » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Diamond in the Rough!!!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Isn't knuckleup a June relative?
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Isn't knuckleup a June relative?

He might be mad because a certain player he likes or is related to is not being played the way he wants them to be played. Some of these players may not be D1A caliber players and will not be here after next year imo. Bad coaching includes coaches making bad decision on which players to offer.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Hilarious isn't it knuckleup? Let's look at this from another perspective. You're spot on, the coaching is absolutely a complete joke and the university is 100% to blame for this. The leadership and decision making from Turner all the way down at SMU is/has been a complete joke. The fans and alumni (outside of a small diehard group) are a complete joke. All of these wannabes, wannabe just like TCU & Baylor but they didn't/don't have the courage to go all in and now the reality is sinking in that the P5 ship has most likely sailed. Better now to blame the players and divert the conversation to academic rankings. Go ahead and shut the football program down and see how much further SMU continues to fall behind TCU & Baylor. Somebody said the players are stealing from the university....hilarious. The university is lucky to have enough players to field a team with this sh*t show.

At this point better hope a legitimate coach is lured by a huge paycheck, and players lured by the mirage of SMU as an elite academic institution, or the program will continue to go backwards so fast it'll make your head spin.

Welcome to the Karma Cafe. There are no menus. You get Served what you Deserve.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby knuckleup » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:Isn't knuckleup a June relative?

He might be mad because a certain player he likes or is related to is not being played the way he wants them to be played. Some of these players may not be D1A caliber players and will not be here after next year imo. Bad coaching includes coaches making bad decision on which players to offer.

I ain't got no skin in the game bable10 Just stating a point. You are the king of toxic bloggers who has an ax to grind after being cut from the middle school football team.
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

Postby covok48 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:50 pm

I think if the coaching was different we'd win a few games and wouldn't be doubting the players' D I status.
---------------

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning isn't very exciting." -- [deleted] Vermeil
covok48
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:03 pm

I think if the coaching was different a lot of these players would not be here. A different coach would most likely have done a much better job of recruiting.
redpony

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:40 pm

redpony wrote:I think if the coaching was different a lot of these players would not be here. A different coach would most likely have done a much better job of recruiting.

Bingo. The recruiting strategy (or lack thereof) has been an issue since Jones got here. Klemm, and to a lesser extent Reinbold/Mason, did a decent job of getting a few kids with BCS offers. Aside from those however, there seemed to be no coherent strategy or system in place regarding recruiting. Certainly no emphasis was placed on making Dallas a priority until it was far, far too late and that was only b/c Hart got up in June's rear end about it.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby redpony » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:06 pm

my conspiracy theory has always been that after tiki failed to get the ASU job he decided that he would return our fball fortunes to the level they were when he got here. As a result he did his best to 'downgrade' the talent etc. in order to ensure that the admin. and fans got what he felt they deserved..
redpony

Next

Return to Football