PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How Many Legit D1A Players Do We Have?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How Many Legit D1A Players Do We Have?

Postby CBpony » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:20 pm

footballdad wrote:
knuckleup wrote:Calling bs. We have had many one/none offer dudes do very well here. Coaching is a complete joke my man

Hilarious isn't it knuckleup? Let's look at this from another perspective. You're spot on, the coaching is absolutely a complete joke and the university is 100% to blame for this. The leadership and decision making from Turner all the way down at SMU is/has been a complete joke. The fans and alumni (outside of a small diehard group) are a complete joke. All of these wannabes, wannabe just like TCU & Baylor but they didn't/don't have the courage to go all in and now the reality is sinking in that the P5 ship has most likely sailed. Better now to blame the players and divert the conversation to academic rankings. Go ahead and shut the football program down and see how much further SMU continues to fall behind TCU & Baylor. Somebody said the players are stealing from the university....hilarious. The university is lucky to have enough players to field a team with this sh*t show.

At this point better hope a legitimate coach is lured by a huge paycheck, and players lured by the mirage of SMU as an elite academic institution, or the program will continue to go backwards so fast it'll make your head spin.

Welcome to the Karma Cafe. There are no menus. You get Served what you Deserve.

You're schtick is getting old, we don't need a football team to remain ahead of tcu and baylor in terms of academics that's not how it works. The OP had a decent question, and with the best coaching in the world this team doesn't have the talent to compete in the top 50. Talent is talent, and currently we aren't close to the top half in terms of it. This may be the main reason a decent coordinator may be scared off, to rebuild is going to require a monumental undertaking. Lay off the University and fans, why would anyone want to waste a decent Saturday to watch this show on the field at this point in the season? I do agree that being outnumbered at the home opener has made us look like a joke though.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby smumustang1980 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:09 pm

redpony wrote:my conspiracy theory has always been that after tiki failed to get the ASU job he decided that he would return our fball fortunes to the level they were when he got here. As a result he did his best to 'downgrade' the talent etc. in order to ensure that the admin. and fans got what he felt they deserved..

I think this is an interesting theory. When I met the man I intuitively felt like he was misleading. All of the body language was terrible. In contrast, Mason comes across as honest but naive. However, why would he have had his agent negotiate a contract extension knowing that the proverbial ticking time bomb was going to explode on his watch? He's a very strange man. Truly egotistical beyond the normal prima donna. Did he buy into his own hype? Probably.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:43 pm

CBpony wrote:
footballdad wrote:
knuckleup wrote:Calling bs. We have had many one/none offer dudes do very well here. Coaching is a complete joke my man

Hilarious isn't it knuckleup? Let's look at this from another perspective. You're spot on, the coaching is absolutely a complete joke and the university is 100% to blame for this. The leadership and decision making from Turner all the way down at SMU is/has been a complete joke. The fans and alumni (outside of a small diehard group) are a complete joke. All of these wannabes, wannabe just like TCU & Baylor but they didn't/don't have the courage to go all in and now the reality is sinking in that the P5 ship has most likely sailed. Better now to blame the players and divert the conversation to academic rankings. Go ahead and shut the football program down and see how much further SMU continues to fall behind TCU & Baylor. Somebody said the players are stealing from the university....hilarious. The university is lucky to have enough players to field a team with this sh*t show.

At this point better hope a legitimate coach is lured by a huge paycheck, and players lured by the mirage of SMU as an elite academic institution, or the program will continue to go backwards so fast it'll make your head spin.

Welcome to the Karma Cafe. There are no menus. You get Served what you Deserve.

You're schtick is getting old, we don't need a football team to remain ahead of tcu and baylor in terms of academics that's not how it works. The OP had a decent question, and with the best coaching in the world this team doesn't have the talent to compete in the top 50. Talent is talent, and currently we aren't close to the top half in terms of it. This may be the main reason a decent coordinator may be scared off, to rebuild is going to require a monumental undertaking. Lay off the University and fans, why would anyone want to waste a decent Saturday to watch this show on the field at this point in the season? I do agree that being outnumbered at the home opener has made us look like a joke though.

Since we have unquestionably had the worst coaching in the world over the last few years we'll never know.

The University leadership is responsible for this mess so I'm simply laying blame where it belongs. You want to lay the blame on the players, I say it belongs on the coaching staff and University. Funny how most here go to great lengths to protect the University, but waste no time throwing the team under the bus. Different approach by Baylor & TCU, different results.

You say schtick, I say reality.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 pm

smumustang1980 wrote:
redpony wrote:my conspiracy theory has always been that after tiki failed to get the ASU job he decided that he would return our fball fortunes to the level they were when he got here. As a result he did his best to 'downgrade' the talent etc. in order to ensure that the admin. and fans got what he felt they deserved..

I think this is an interesting theory. When I met the man I intuitively felt like he was misleading. All of the body language was terrible. In contrast, Mason comes across as honest but naive. However, why would he have had his agent negotiate a contract extension knowing that the proverbial ticking time bomb was going to explode on his watch? He's a very strange man. Truly egotistical beyond the normal prima donna. Did he buy into his own hype? Probably.
I have shared the sabotage suspicion for several years as well. It was rarely well received on here but there is some merit
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:24 pm

I highly doubt that JJ decided to spend his last few years as a HC actively sabotaging a program. I think he was deluded into thinking he could win with anyone in his scheme and keep the checks rolling in without giving a substantial effort in recruiting.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:25 pm

I love how we continue to go round and round on this. I know it's going to sting a little bit, but football is not life! There is so much more out there in that big world if you just walk out your front door.

To "be successful" you need a president who wants to have success in football, specifically. You want success? The equestrian team knocked off #9 A&M last month. Suck it A&M.

Second we need a coach who is all in and does not make excuses for non-performance. IPF, who in the hellll cares. You play ball outside so practice out there. Coaches, stop making excuses. We need academic friendly majors? Sure that would be nice to keep young men on campus, but if you are too stupid to study and get good grades then maybe college is not the place for you.

Lastly, if you are a player you can either play or you can't. You have God given talent or you don't!!! If that talent is not there you work your backside off to make up the gap. My best friend Daniel 'Rudy' Ruettiger taught me that.

Missed tackles? Only so much is technique, the rest is on you to make the play, player.

Accuracy in throwing a football? I can only teach so much. You have the arm or you don't.

Catching a football? Do you have two hands and two eyes? Make them work in harmony to hold on.

EVERYONE is to blame for the on field product.

Am I on the team? NO. Because I am not good enough to play the competition. Now get me on a 30-something recreation league and I will tear it up.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby San Antonio Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Did any of you who watched SMU v. A&M and then watched A&M v. Alabama notice the similarity in the tackling? In our game with A&M when they got an arm on our ball carrier the carrier was stopped. On the other hand, when we only got an arm on their ball carrier the tackle was broken. In the A&M v. Alabama game the roles were reversed. When Alabama got an arm on the ball carrier he was stopped. But, when A&M got an arm on the Alabama ball carrier the tackle was broken. My conclusion is that strength and size matter. A&M is bigger and stronger than SMU and Alabama is bigger and stronger than A&M. One of our problems this year is that all our opponents appear to be bigger and stronger. It is not just in tackling that the disparity shows up. Did you see how the Cincinnati offensive line pushed our defenders around? Did you see how our offense was unable to block Cincinnati? Unfortunately these young men when they came out of high school were not physically developed enough to play D! ball successfully. Also, unfortunately, they have not developed sufficiently since arriving at SMU. I do not believe they are totally to blame for not being physically ready. I think God, genetics, and coaching all play a part in their deficiencies. Still, I do applaud them for trying to compete on behalf of SMU. I believe if they keep working hard, keep their head up, and keep doing their best , one day they will be successful.
San Antonio Mustang
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 pm

I think it's a legitimate question.

Look at the offers or lack thereof that most of the players on this team have and we probably have talent wise a team that's arguably worst 20 in d1, and I'm being generous.

I also do believe a lot of blame goes to the administration for allowing it to get to this point. And I also believe we as fans are to blame as the June apologists will always mention that season when it started 4 and 1 and they expected a sold out stadium the next game, and there have been other instances i'm sure. But most of all I blame Jones bc he failed to leave the team better off than when he started, and the cost of losing the last 7 years could Be irreparable.

Plenty of blame to go around but let's not pretend that we have legitimate d1 players across the board. That is what will make this turnaround that much tougher.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby CBpony » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:38 am

Welcome to the Karma Cafe. There are no menus. You get Served what you Deserve.[/quote]

You're schtick is getting old, we don't need a football team to remain ahead of tcu and baylor in terms of academics that's not how it works. The OP had a decent question, and with the best coaching in the world this team doesn't have the talent to compete in the top 50. Talent is talent, and currently we aren't close to the top half in terms of it. This may be the main reason a decent coordinator may be scared off, to rebuild is going to require a monumental undertaking. Lay off the University and fans, why would anyone want to waste a decent Saturday to watch this show on the field at this point in the season? I do agree that being outnumbered at the home opener has made us look like a joke though.[/quote]

Since we have unquestionably had the worst coaching in the world over the last few years we'll never know.

The University leadership is responsible for this mess so I'm simply laying blame where it belongs. You want to lay the blame on the players, I say it belongs on the coaching staff and University. Funny how most here go to great lengths to protect the University, but waste no time throwing the team under the bus. Different approach by Baylor & TCU, different results.

You say schtick, I say reality.[/quote]

Agreed on the coaching, they deserve the great majority of the blame, and the AD for letting June return
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby fifty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 am

Harv, you're using smu equestrian as the model of success? I assume you're kidding as it may not even be an ncaa sport much longer.
fifty
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:25 am

SMU Football may not be an NCAA sport much longer at this rate either
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby fifty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 am

But we were awesome 32 years ago
fifty
Heisman

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 pm

knuckleup wrote:Dude they all are. They are on a d1 team therefore legit d1 players. More curious on how many of the fat blogger (like me) have ever been good enough to play on d1 team. Not many I imagine.

lol what a dumb statement
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:14 pm

fifty wrote:Harv, you're using smu equestrian as the model of success? I assume you're kidding as it may not even be an ncaa sport much longer.

Sí, it's a joke, but at least we have something positive happening in the Aug-Oct months. Volleyball and men's soccer are doing quite we'll right now. Golf had a good tourney or two...
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby knuckleup » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Lebanese4Life wrote:
knuckleup wrote:Dude they all are. They are on a d1 team therefore legit d1 players. More curious on how many of the fat blogger (like me) have ever been good enough to play on d1 team. Not many I imagine.

lol what a dumb statement

Apparently this clown (lebanese4life) is one of the fat wannabe athlete bloggers I was referencing. Welcome to the club bro
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football