PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

With new rules, Longhorns will pay each player $10,000

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: With new rules, Longhorns will pay each player $10,000

Postby AustinPerson » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Maybe we won't have to pay our players as much since we'll be playing our games in the spring.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:44 pm

I thought that UT and OU got most of the Big XII money and the rest got toaster leavings. There was a rumor for awhile that the Big East payout (prior to the Catholics leaving) was going to be larger than the Big XII. By the way, with SMU on the uptick, UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, UCF and now Tulsa, I have to think that the folks from Villanova, DePaul, ,Marquette and Georgetown are beginning to wonder if their long term choice was wise.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:02 pm

SMU was guilty of nothing more than being way ahead of its time. This will be the end of college athletics as we know it. If you think this will stop at $10K or have any impact on booster interference and paying players then you're crazy. College football is about to become a semi-pro league.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby fifty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:12 pm

This could be a giant groin-kick to our recruiting for every sport.
fifty
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:14 pm

An NCAA Committee is going to meet in November to determine the maximum amount that can be awarded to met total cost of attendance. UT is saying its about $5,000 a year for them. The federal judge has mandated that the amount for advertising rights must be set at a minimum of $5,000 per year per player but that the NCAA can set a maximum to maintain an even playing field
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:42 pm

I wouldn't think that SMU has 600 athletes since SMU does not have all the sports that Texas has. So SMU wouldn't have to meet that payroll.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 pm

EastStang wrote:I thought that UT and OU got most of the Big XII money and the rest got toaster leavings. There was a rumor for awhile that the Big East payout (prior to the Catholics leaving) was going to be larger than the Big XII. By the way, with SMU on the uptick, UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, UCF and now Tulsa, I have to think that the folks from Villanova, DePaul, ,Marquette and Georgetown are beginning to wonder if their long term choice was wise.

No TCU gets exactly the same as UT
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:49 pm

EastStang wrote:I thought that UT and OU got most of the Big XII money and the rest got toaster leavings. There was a rumor for awhile that the Big East payout (prior to the Catholics leaving) was going to be larger than the Big XII. By the way, with SMU on the uptick, UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, UCF and now Tulsa, I have to think that the folks from Villanova, DePaul, ,Marquette and Georgetown are beginning to wonder if their long term choice was wise.

Do you mean SMU is on the uptick in football, basketball or both? Big East payout was around 5 million or so per year. Now it is about 2 million in the AAC. Big 12 payout was around 9 million per team before the new contract. Catholic schools probably made the right move from a monetary standpoint but from a visibility standpoint the AAC in hoops is better. TCU gets the same as UT.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Big 12 schools get about 23 Million per school-now TCU and West Virginia are in a phase-in period to pay their initiation as new members but that's about to end

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... ution.html

Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:16 pm

SMU 86 wrote:If it is $10,000 per year that is not very much imo for UT. I think they called it laundry money back in the old days.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleg ... 45ba53a385

How are players going to eat after the cut in pay?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Realize now....this $10,000 is on top of the "Laundry money". How will these poor athletes survive? They do have basic needs you know. :wink:
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:48 pm

something like $2,000 a month for food, room and board plus many get up to a $5,645 a year Pell Grant (although I wonder if they will still be eligible)

Stallion

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:37 pm

From the Kansas City article it said Kansas had the largest payout. This is telling me that UT and OU have separate TV deals and the rest of the conference must have some joint deal which makes sense.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:44 pm

they were talking about prior years-they agreed on even payout after the defections. Also I believe a Final Four Team gets a greater share of Tournament revenue but I think that comes before they split the pot

Stallion

Postby leopold » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Pony ^ wrote:I can't wait to see how those liberal texas professors react

You're gonna laugh, but my guess is that the professors are probably all for this.

What the academics are against is an NFL type model, where kids are being paid milions of dollars and any and all presumptions as to 'amatuer' statis is threatened. But they, in many cases, are all for the idea of giving the kid a small stipend to cover reasonable living expenses that the kid can't acquire any other way, and especially at a school like Texas, who has the single largest money-make in college athletics in their football program. $10,000/year really ain't all that much, and I would imagine that your average professor (many of whom where athletes themselves in college) would read this article and say to themselves "Good. They deserve it."
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football