PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why Turner will never hire Mack Brown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why Turner will never hire Mack Brown

Postby Big12Mustang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:28 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
Big12Mustang wrote: A "hostess" program. OSU was running something similar up there AND they took some cues from what we used to do down here back in the good 'ole days. But hey, it made them into the OSU they are today!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleg ... cruits.ece

I believe the article regarding Mack Brown was talking about a network that helps with grades.

Oh...disregard then...sorry :lol:
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EconPony'10 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:44 am

A lot of reports this morning about Mack Brown and $4MM annually. The Mack2SMU campaign seems to be picking up steam.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 am

I'm loving it. MB is an outstanding person and would be a great ambassador to SMU. He would also get RGT to finally understand what needs to be done
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:54 am

I've never seen a school that is so focused on buying success by shortcut rather than building a program the right way with a solid foundation. 4 Million would make him a Top 10 paid coach-and 8 years is complete lunacy to Coach in the AAC before 10,000 season tickets owned by 3,000 SMU alumni. And I have Brown on my list too-so I'm not against him. I just sense that SMU relies on advice from people that have too much money on their hands and not enough football sense. His market value is no more than 2.5 million over no more than 5 years. Put the money (32 Million) in building the foundation of the program-assistants, budget, facilities, media advertisement. If SMU pays Mack 32 Million-every P5 Coach in the Country is getting a huge raise because we broke the pay scale once again.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby EconPony'10 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:12 am

Stallion wrote:I've never seen a school that is so focused on buying success by shortcut rather than building a program the right way with a solid foundation. 4 Million would make him a Top 10 paid coach-and 8 years is complete lunacy to Coach in the AAC before 10,000 season tickets owned by 3,000 SMU alumni. And I have Brown on my list too-so I'm not against him. I just sense that SMU relies on advice from people that have too much money on their hands and not enough football sense. His market value is no more than 2.5 million over no more than 5 years. Put the money (32 Million) in building the foundation of the program-assistants, budget, facilities, media advertisement. If SMU pays Mack 32 Million-every P5 Coach in the Country is getting a huge raise because we broke the pay scale once again.

Unfortunately we are a bit of an anomaly because we are so far down in the depths of hell that it is almost impossible (IMO) to risk building up the program from the ground up. We have tried too many times to get an unproven coach to build the program up and it has backfired. June was the first decent name that we tried (besides Gregg) and it was working until you know what happened.

They have got to go real big or go home this time. We can't afford to risk building from the ground up at this point. They need to pay big time for a big time coach and pay even more to get the facilities and everything upgraded to compete with Big12 type schools.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:25 am

I'm all about paying for a proven commodity CEO but we need a lot of cash in the bank for the best possible staff.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:26 am

EconPony'10 wrote:
Stallion wrote:I've never seen a school that is so focused on buying success by shortcut rather than building a program the right way with a solid foundation. 4 Million would make him a Top 10 paid coach-and 8 years is complete lunacy to Coach in the AAC before 10,000 season tickets owned by 3,000 SMU alumni. And I have Brown on my list too-so I'm not against him. I just sense that SMU relies on advice from people that have too much money on their hands and not enough football sense. His market value is no more than 2.5 million over no more than 5 years. Put the money (32 Million) in building the foundation of the program-assistants, budget, facilities, media advertisement. If SMU pays Mack 32 Million-every P5 Coach in the Country is getting a huge raise because we broke the pay scale once again.

Unfortunately we are a bit of an anomaly because we are so far down in the depths of hell that it is almost impossible (IMO) to risk building up the program from the ground up. We have tried too many times to get an unproven coach to build the program up and it has backfired. June was the first decent name that we tried (besides Gregg) and it was working until you know what happened.

They have got to go real big or go home this time. We can't afford to risk building from the ground up at this point. They need to pay big time for a big time coach and pay even more to get the facilities and everything upgraded to compete with Big12 type schools.

If they are going to pay $4mil per why wouldn't they go for a coach that was not declining like Brown was at UT. And 8 years is too much imo. If they did that he could sit here and win 7 games a year being mediocre and get paid like he is wining 11 games per year with no worries. But I am all for it if he can get the history department straighten out so that players like MK can get passing grades. :mrgreen:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby EconPony'10 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am

Whether it is Mack or someone else, we have to go all out. Can't just try to get a diamond in the rough at a cheap price.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby leopold » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Damn right!

I've told a number of people it was us, as a Conference USA bottom-feeder, offering a HC an NFL-level salary that set off the last round of coaching raises, and here we go again. Christ, for $4 we would more than double Rich Rodriguez, James Franklin, and Jerry Kill's salaries. Hell, Larry Coker has won a national championship, too, and he's been coaching in Texas for a few years now as well and according to that link he's making $350,000/year! Forget Chad Morris, FOR $4/YEAR YOU CAN HAVE BOTH SWINNEY AND MORRIS, at least by comparison.

Ugh. It's good to find out that they are going to go all out, but they need to sit down and talk about this.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 pm

"I ain't mad at him"

Sometimes you have to get the money while it there. Mac Daddy to the bank.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Football