PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Report: Mack Brown: 8 years @ 4mil/yr

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Report: Mack Brown: 8 years @ 4mil/yr

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I will not be a bit surprised if this happens.

I hated the idea at first, but the more I think about it the more I like it.

Can you explain to me why and walk me off the cliff? I personally think this is a terrible f idea.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:16 pm

Harry0569 wrote:

Can you explain to me why and walk me off the cliff? I personally think this is a terrible f idea.

Bc his last name is Brown, a national championship winner, old, and not currently a HC
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Rebel10 wrote:aTm would not pay a QB coach 700,000 which would be just as much as Spav makes but we would if needed to get him here as OC.

Beaty is WR Coach/Recruiting Coordinator, Sumlin would slap some extra titles next to his name to justify the pay bump. Don't underestimate how important Beaty is to them.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby gostangs » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:26 pm

This smells like an agent leak, angling for something else. We will never do an 8 year deal, especially not with someone who is 63.
gostangs

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:

Bc his last name is Brown, a national championship winner, old, and not currently a HC

He won a NC 10 years ago and did less with more than 99.5% of programs. What players did he and his coaching staff develop into legit college / NFL level players over the last 5 years?

Earl Thomas, Kenny Vaccaro and Lamarr Houston are really the only guys starting that went to UT over the past 5 years. Whittaker, Goodwin, Jeffcoat don't play meaningful snaps.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/t
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 pm

gostangs wrote:This smells like an agent leak, angling for something else. We will never do an 8 year deal, especially not with someone who is 63.

Praying that is the case.
Harry0569

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Harry0569 wrote:

Mack is the biggest name we can reasonably get, that's the why. I think it's a terrible idea too (by the time it becomes clear to everyone else we'll be stuck with him) but at least it'll be entertaining.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:32 pm

It proves how delusional our fan base is to believe hiring Mack Brown is a bad idea. It's like offering a starving man a steak and he says "no thanks, I prefer chicken."
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:33 pm

Harry0569 wrote:
gostangs wrote:This smells like an agent leak, angling for something else. We will never do an 8 year deal, especially not with someone who is 63.

Praying that is the case.

Let me preface by saying I have no strong opinion pro or con with Brown or anyone else. I will let the ones in charge do their thing. But Harry, if your argument is that it has been 10 years since Brown won a NC and he did not perform as well the past few years as previous, how can you be pro anyone who has never accomplished anything as a head coach before? Wouldn't you prefer something proven to something unknown? We have had Bennett and Jones the last 2. Granted Jones gave up but his results were better than Bennett. This is why I wish Nutt was still on the table. Proven coach, SEC divisional championships, and some of his recruits have his last stop at #3 in the nation right now. I am through.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Harry0569 wrote:Praying that is the case.

Unbelievable.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Topper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:

Mack is the biggest name we can reasonably get, that's the why. I think it's a terrible idea too (by the time it becomes clear to everyone else we'll be stuck with him) but at least it'll be entertaining.

It is a particularly bad idea to offer an 8 year contract for this kind of change. Will the deep pockets be willing to buy him out if thinks are in the tank in 4 years and then dangle the same kind of money to someone else? How much will oil be selling for then? Will the market hold up? This is very risky.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 pm

he also got a team to the national Championship about 5 years ago-could of won it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyboy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:38 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:Praying that is the case.

Unbelievable.

Yes it is. Love the steak analogy.
ponyboy

Report: Mack Brown: 8 years @ 4mil/yr

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:39 pm

I know plenty of UT fans and they say hell no. Pay up and comer $2M. Waste of money. At least its not mine.
GiddyUp

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Why do we believe 8 years @ $4 mill a year? That may be how much for the whole staff. It may be a 4 year deal with a renewal option. when we fin who we want we just need to be sure we have a high buy out for the first couple of years and then decrease annually after that. Renew early if things are good.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football