PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Report: Mack Brown: 8 years @ 4mil/yr

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Report: Mack Brown: 8 years @ 4mil/yr

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 pm

I think Mack will demand the money be there for a big time staff. We are paying Tim Jankovich the highest salary of any assistant coach in the country and our b-ball staff is probably making Top 20 money as a whole. I'd think Mack would demand the same.

We wouldn't be making this offer without knowing full well we are going to have to double down on assistants as well. I wouldn't worry about that.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm

LB has good assistant coaches that can both coach and recruit. The practices that I went to Coach Ulrich and Coach K. T. did good coaching the players in the area they needed and they can recruit very well. Mack Brown may not have hired the best assistants in his last years but I think he will do better in hiring assistants if he gets the SMU job.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm

SMU 86 wrote: Mack Brown may not have hired the best assistants in his last years but I think he will do better in hiring assistants if he gets the SMU job.

Based on what?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Again, my only qualm with hiring Mack Brown is this:

Does he have the stomach for the fight here? This ain't Texas. You aren't walking into a job that has the kind of built in advantages that he enjoyed down in Austin. Are there advantages here? Sure. They've mostly gone ignored for the past 30 years but they are there. He is going to have to sell this program 1000000000000x more than he did at Texas. I fully believe that he can. I just don't know that at his age he's willing to do it. I'm talking about engaging every alumni funcion, greek function, young alumni, lettermen, board of trustees, etc.....We need everyone and we need them now. He has to get the SMU community to rally behind the program. The man is a born salesman so I believe he can do it. I just hope that both SMU and he understand just how hard of a job this is going to be.
StallionsModelT

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:35 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Does he have the stomach for the fight here? This ain't Texas. You aren't walking into a job that has the kind of built in advantages that he enjoyed down in Austin. Are there advantages here? Sure. They've mostly gone ignored for the past 30 years but they are there. He is going to have to sell this program 1000000000000x more than he did at Texas. I fully believe that he can. I just don't know that at his age he's willing to do it. I'm talking about engaging every alumni funcion, greek function, young alumni, lettermen, board of trustees, etc.....We need everyone and we need them now. He has to get the SMU community to rally behind the program. The man is a born salesman so I believe he can do it. I just hope that both SMU and he understand just how hard of a job this is going to be.

Great post.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:37 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMU 86 wrote: Mack Brown may not have hired the best assistants in his last years but I think he will do better in hiring assistants if he gets the SMU job.

Based on what?

Nothing other than just hoping.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 pm

yeah he also wouldn't have to worry about the time constraints imposed by the Longhorn Network and a billion alumni-he would have plenty of time on his hand at SMU. What do we got writers from the DMN, Rivals, Scout and ponyfans. Jones didn't even meet with alumni. No doubt Mack could easily handle that aspect of the SMU job
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby FIVE-O-FAN » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Hiring Mack would instantly restore credibility and relevance to the football program. If it were a different point in time, and if the program were in a better place, I'd be clamoring for a young up and comer. The program is reeling and I believe Mack is the best hire given the current circumstances. I'm on board with it.

In my opinion, this is the only hire that could bring positive national attention to SMU, not unlike when LB was hired.
FIVE-O-FAN
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:53 pm

FIVE-O-FAN wrote:Hiring Mack would instantly restore credibility and relevance to the football program. If it were a different point in time, and if the program were in a better place, I'd be clamoring for a young up and comer. The program is reeling and I believe Mack is the best hire given the current circumstances. I'm on board with it.

In my opinion, this is the only hire that could bring positive national attention to SMU, not unlike when LB was hired.

Yes. What's up with all these logical posts? :D
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 pm

We could change our uniforms and get an endorsement for the school from UPS if we have both Mack and Larry.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU1523 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:55 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:We could change our uniforms and get an endorsement for the school from UPS if we have both Mack and Larry.

Then we rename Moody the UPS Forum?
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:01 pm

FIVE-O-FAN wrote:Hiring Mack would instantly restore credibility and relevance to the football program. If it were a different point in time, and if the program were in a better place, I'd be clamoring for a young up and comer. The program is reeling and I believe Mack is the best hire given the current circumstances. I'm on board with it.

From your lips to God's ears.
StallionsModelT

Postby redpony » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:03 pm

with making public the $4 mil per year number I also have to wonder what other top level coaches may now be interested. If only the 'top 10' are getting that kind of money then our pool of interested coaches might expand considerably.
redpony

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:06 pm

redpony wrote:with making public the $4 mil per year number I also have to wonder what other top level coaches may now be interested. If only the 'top 10' are getting that kind of money then our pool of interested coaches might expand considerably.

Yeah it will certainly get some attention. That is a tremendous amount of money for SMU. We may be small in number but our hardcore boosters are some of the most committed and generous boosters of any school in the country. Huge thank you to the CoC for literally keeping this program above water.
StallionsModelT

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Don't rename Moody, rename Ford. Go from one company to another just like an endorsement change.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football