PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Report: Mack Brown: 8 years @ 4mil/yr

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Report: Mack Brown: 8 years @ 4mil/yr

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I think Mac Daddy would do well here but saying that just because we hired Larry Brown and he did really good well means that if hire Mack Brown he will do very good is almost like saying since we had success in football in playing one 5'9 receiver let's go recruit a entire receiving group of 5'9 receivers. Wait, didn't we try that?

True but it does refute the "He is a washed up big name" argument.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Here's a look at where Brown's staff went-I'd be interested in Oscar Giles returning. Darrell Wyatt can recruit-I think Greg Robinson was a decent Coordinator-terrible Head Coach. We'd probably have to pay Muschamp at a minimum a Million to keep him away from the SEC as a Coordinator. I've never been sold on Applewhite but he'd be OK as a QB Coach. But I'd like to get some young guys too. Most of these guys aren't going to take a demotion to coach at SMU but I'd think we might be able to get Giles, Wyatt and Applewhite, Greg Robinson if Mack insists-then go younger:

Stacy Searles is at Virginia Tech, Bo Davis went to USC and then Alabama, Larry Porter chose North Carolina and Oscar Giles joined fellow Texas cast-off Manny Diaz at Louisiana Tech. Instead of retiring, Duane Akina and Greg Robinson opted for fresh starts out West at Stanford and San Jose State, respectively.

That leaves two: Major Applewhite and Darrell Wyatt, Brown's co-offensive coordinators. Both are still under contract with the university, so, like Diaz did, they'll collect paychecks and lie low until better situations arise.
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Stallion wrote:Here's a look at where Brown's staff went-I'd be interested in Oscar Giles returning. Darrell Wyatt can recruit-I think Greg Robinson was a decent Coordinator-terrible Head Coach. We'd probably have to pay Muschamp at a minimum a Million to keep him away from the SEC as a Coordinator. I've never been sold on Applewhite but he'd be OK as a QB Coach. But I'd like to get some young guys too. Most of these guys aren't going to take a demotion to coach at SMU but I'd think we might be able to get Giles, Wyatt and Applewhite-then go younger:

Stacy Searles is at Virginia Tech, Bo Davis went to USC and then Alabama, Larry Porter chose North Carolina and Oscar Giles joined fellow Texas cast-off Manny Diaz at Louisiana Tech. Instead of retiring, Duane Akina and Greg Robinson opted for fresh starts out West at Stanford and San Jose State, respectively.

That leaves two: Major Applewhite and Darrell Wyatt, Brown's co-offensive coordinators. Both are still under contract with the university, so, like Diaz did, they'll collect paychecks and lie low until better situations arise.

Is Muschamp going to get the axe at Florida?
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby DiamondM » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm coming around on hiring Mack Brown. There are no guarantees with any hire; they are all gambles, whether you are talking about up and coming but unproven coordinators or a Mack Brown hire. The thing is, SMU needs immediate credibility -- with recruits, with alumni, with potential t-shirt fans. If you go the coordinator route, which I believe is the most rational of the gambles and under any other circumstance is the right call, I don't think you get that immediate credibility with any of those groups. Each one will still say "prove that this time is different" before their butts are in seats, their signature is on a commit letter, or their autograph on a big check.

But hiring Mack, while a huge gamble, probably pays some immediate dividends with the relevant constiuencies. It brings the kind of excitement we need (with some substance backing it up) to compete in this market.

Of course, in typical SMU (and Dallas) fashion, we might be overpaying for a name brand when a sturdy, less expensive model would be just as good (or maybe better). But in Dallas and with SMU, sometimes you have to pay for the ridiculous label to get noticed in the first place.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:48 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
Stallion wrote:Here's a look at where Brown's staff went-I'd be interested in Oscar Giles returning. Darrell Wyatt can recruit-I think Greg Robinson was a decent Coordinator-terrible Head Coach. We'd probably have to pay Muschamp at a minimum a Million to keep him away from the SEC as a Coordinator. I've never been sold on Applewhite but he'd be OK as a QB Coach. But I'd like to get some young guys too. Most of these guys aren't going to take a demotion to coach at SMU but I'd think we might be able to get Giles, Wyatt and Applewhite-then go younger:

Is Muschamp going to get the axe at Florida?

He is 3-3 with Georgia, South Carolina and Florida St left. 4-8 last year. I assumed so-but not sure
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SMU404 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:50 pm

no no no no no no no . Mack is not what we need, everyone seems to have forgotten what UT has gotten into under Mack over the last few years. The only way I would say go for Mack is if you could get Spavital as the HC in waiting. Let spavital mature a few years with some more experience and then take over.
Played in the June Jones Era
SMU404
Junior Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:53 pm

SMU404 wrote:no no no no no no no . Mack is not what we need, everyone seems to have forgotten what UT has gotten into under Mack over the last few years. The only way I would say go for Mack is if you could get Spavital as the HC in waiting. Let spavital mature a few years with some more experience and then take over.

What's in it for Spavital except a massive demotion?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:53 pm

OK Coach in Waiting is so 20th Century. NCAA basically changed rule so its no longer feasible because you treat the HCIW as the Head Coach in recruiting. Plus Mack hated it

Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:54 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMU404 wrote:no no no no no no no . Mack is not what we need, everyone seems to have forgotten what UT has gotten into under Mack over the last few years. The only way I would say go for Mack is if you could get Spavital as the HC in waiting. Let spavital mature a few years with some more experience and then take over.

What's in it for Spavital except a massive demotion?

Beaty would be a better option at OC imo but just not Greg Davis.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby buckwheat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Wow, if this is true such a typical SMU move. 4 mil/8 yrs is crazy but hell its not my $$$.
Hope Mack can make a difference quickly.
buckwheat
Junior Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Beaty would be a better option at OC imo but just not Greg Davis.

Mack won't see it that way, after all Greg Davis is his BFF. Plus Beaty isn't coming here for anything less than HC.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:00 pm

buckwheat wrote:Wow, if this is true such a typical SMU move. 4 mil/8 yrs is crazy but hell its not my $$$.

Actually, its so not SMU to hire a proven head coach with a legendary resume that has deep connections with Texas high school coaches who has a national championship. Nothing about that screams SMU in the least bit. This would be the boldest and smartest move SMU football has made post Death Penalty and it isn't even close.
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:01 pm

well we'll offer Beaty any way just to punk Aggy-he's only getting paid like $350,000-make them match just to [deleted] them off.

Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:02 pm

What if SMU were able to assemble this type of staff?

HC - Mack Brown
OC - David Beatty
DC - Will Muschamp

That would be, unquestionably, the best G5 coaching staff in the nation and probably one of the top coaching staffs in all of college football.
StallionsModelT

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:03 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
buckwheat wrote:Wow, if this is true such a typical SMU move. 4 mil/8 yrs is crazy but hell its not my $$$.

Actually, its so not SMU to hire a proven head coach with a legendary resume that has deep connections with Texas high school coaches who has a national championship. Nothing about that screams SMU in the least bit. This would be the boldest and smartest move SMU football has made post Death Penalty and it isn't even close.

He was definitely knocking it out of the ballpark his last 3 years at UT with more talent than anyone in the country let alone the conference.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football