PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Norm talking SMU/Mack

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Norm talking SMU/Mack

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:26 am

when TCU played us in 1996 or 1997 they were 0-10 and going nowhere.

wonder what norm said about TCU then. because that is us right now.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:33 am

We do not need to get there right now. We need to get where ECU is right now.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 am

ponyinNC wrote:when TCU played us in 1996 or 1997 they were 0-10 and going nowhere.

wonder what norm said about TCU then. because that is us right now.

That is correct. And it is possible to have a top 10 program here. UCF and ECU prove that. Our conference will get much better than what it is today, possibly as good as MWC when Utah, TCU, BYU and co. where there or even better. We just have to make sure we are the TCU this time around.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:35 am

mrydel wrote:We do not need to get there right now. We need to get where ECU is right now.

Correct. I still advocate playing 3-4 P5 teams out of conference schedule to get us where we need to be. 3 P5s along with NTSU is a good schedule if we can align the dates right.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:39 am

mrydel wrote:We do not need to get there right now. We need to get where ECU is right now.

You mean drawing 40,000+ fans per game? Because that's where ECU is.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mrydel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 am

Sorry I did not recognize you glass needed filling. Watch ECU in a New Years Day bowl and figure it out.
mrydel

Postby sbsmith » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:43 am

mrydel wrote:Sorry I did not recognize you glass needed filling. Watch ECU in a New Years Day bowl and figure it out.

I didn't realize they'd made it there yet. And they've been filling up for years even with a mediocre product. So when's the Ford expansion going to take place?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mrydel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:46 am

Ok, I will rephrase. We just need to get to where ECU, Marshall, or Colorado State is. The selection committee will not choose by attendance or stadium size.
mrydel

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:49 am

mrydel wrote:stadium size.

stadium size doesn't matter...at least that's what my wife tells me. :lol:
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:01 pm

mrydel wrote:Ok, I will rephrase. We just need to get to where ECU, Marshall, or Colorado State is. The selection committee will not choose by attendance or stadium size.

Fair enough

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mrydel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:05 pm

I do not want to end there but believe we can get to top G5 in the reasonable near future if we do things right. Top G5 cannot hurt from either a money standpoint or selection into P5 standpoint.
mrydel

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 pm

mrydel wrote:I do not want to end there but believe we can get to top G5 in the reasonable near future if we do things right. Top G5 cannot hurt from either a money standpoint or selection into P5 standpoint.

This. sbsmith is being a pillar of negativity.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:24 pm

FIVE-O-FAN wrote:Essentially said that the program will never, and emphasized never, return to prominence and that the incoming coach needs to know that before taking the job.

They said the same thing after Bennett. If June Jones can win a energetic talented coach can to.

The problem is the last coach stripped it down so the job looks worse than it is.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby crazy horse » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Norm is still alive?

How many schools can rival our market, talent pool, facilities, education, "scenery", athletic history, $$$$? The right hire(s), and commitment from the university, could radically change SMUs football fortunes in short order. There are far more positives about SMU than hindrances.

BTW - we consistently put a good, not decent, but good product on the field, we can fill and even expand Ford. In a football crazed state, with almost 7 million residents in DFW alone, an entertaining and winning team will have no problem with attendance.

It all starts with recruiting and winning. And that starts with the right coach and staff that recognizes SMUs many assets, and believes they can succeed.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Never Norm , Really?

What were they saying about BU before Briles? Always be a doormat, never be able to get talent away from UT, OU, A&M. Recruit to Waco? Are you serious. No the BU job is a coaching graveyard.

How about Miss St. being ranked never mind #1: Now way they can compete in the SEC West with powerhouse Bama and LSU. The State of Mississippi just doesn't have enough D1 recruits for Miss State to be successful. And the good ones will always go to Bama, LSU, UGA ect. Dead end job.

So, the SMU job is far, far easier than those. Weak conference (where you can win), solid financial support, high end facilities and sitting in maybe the best D1 talent pool in the country. Sure the top kids will go P5 but there are plenty of 3* kids who want to play and stay close to home where mom and dad can watch them. These kids can win the American.
If JJ hadn't quit after the ASU debacle then we would be winning the American. Folks in the know see that and that's why we will get a good coach.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football