PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNC scandal killed Mack to SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNC scandal killed Mack to SMU

Postby PonyKris89 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:27 am

IGGZACKLEY
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 am

smusic 00 wrote:They should be able to major in their sport. Done. I was able to major in a performance degree, why can't they? Bachelor of science in sports performance. Bam. 30 hours of liberal arts plus 90 hours of performance and sport theory.

I love this. SMU could market itself as the first sports conservatory.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:10 am

orguy wrote:
couch 'em wrote:I have to admit - I really don't care if our football or basketball athletes go to one class except for eligibility.

Everyone justifies our Ron Meyer sins as just taking what everyone else does a step too far.....well isn't that what UNC did?

I doubt you were around back then or know much about anything including SMU or Ron Meyer. FYI: under coach Meyer and Collins SMU had the highest graduation rate in the SWC. Additionally, we had no mickey mouse majors excepting the communications arts degree (i.e no physical education major or kinesiology or sports "medicine" dedgrees) like so many of our SWC brethren did at the time. Some smart cookies on those teams. Dickerson in particular and a certain physician who posts regularly to this board. Playing football and an education were not mutually exclusive events when the program was at its peak.

You probably are the type that would not care whether a kid gets an education or not.
You weren't an English major eh?
It is a comparison of SMU (pay for play) with UNC (academic). SMU was "doing what everyone else did just better" (at buying and paying players) unjustly punished according to many. Was UNC not the academic equivalent to what SMU did, and where is everyone to justify it?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby couch 'em » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:13 am

smusic 00 wrote:They should be able to major in their sport. Done. I was able to major in a performance degree, why can't they? Bachelor of science in sports performance. Bam. 30 hours of liberal arts plus 90 hours of performance and sport theory.
Long wondered why this isn't an option. They are equivalent. The top few become pro and the rest do small time gigs for little money or they teach (coach)
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:26 am

Mack was never offered or contacted by anyone. The numbers were ridiculous. Floated by his people. Inc did bot kill what was never real.
gostangs

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 am

. Yes agree, new major other than sports mgmt - how about sports history, sports communications, etc
GiddyUp

Previous

Return to Football