PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rick Hart, you own this disaster...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rick Hart, you own this disaster...

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:19 am

StallionsModelT wrote:
FriscoChuck wrote:This season stinks but we gotta let it play out. Everyone following this team could see this mess forming 3 years ago. Although none of us thought it would be winless. There still is some talent on this team but just no hope. A new coach will bring the hope back.

Honestly, where is the talent? We have virtually no difference makers at the skill positions, no quarterback, shaky offensive line play, we get no pressure, our linebackers are slow and show no real instinctive ability, and our secondary is probably the worst in the nation. I'm really scratching my head to think of 10 guys who will be coming back next year that would warrant a scholarship at any other D1A program.

We have a punter.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:23 am

I just don't know that football is important to the university. I believe that RGT and several of our most influential alumni/boosters view football as a requirement. Would they like to be good at it? Yeah sure. Is it a major priority to make the football program better than average? I don't know that I can honestly say that. We haven't held ourselves to a standard of excellence. We gave an extension (albeit in name only) to a coach that had clearly plateaued and who had absolutely no interest in being here.

This season has been a tremendous disaster that will have repercussions for years to come. It really is unfortunate that we didn't cut bait after Arizona State. But how is that Rick Hart's problem? He wasn't here. Everything that has happened since has been a total disaster but that can't all be put at the feet of Hart.

This upcoming hire is Hart's chance to put his mark on this athletic department. We will know what sort of vision he has for SMU football. The real question is whether RGT will actually hold him/SMU football to a standard of excellence?
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am

78pony wrote:
gostangs wrote:Anyone who knows anything about turner knows he is not apathetic about sports. That is just not true.

You can't fire the coach when a couple of your key trustees don't want to fund the buy out. Y'all are looking at the wrong spot for blame.

That would be a big fat wrong. Go ask any of the Mustang Club Board members at the meeting where turner addressed them and said that a 6-6 record was fine, maybe you get a 7 win season or so occasionally...

Turner - 19 years. Zero FB or bball conference championships. Poised for 2nd winless season. Building buildings - A+. Athletics - viewed as marginally necessary evil - F.

...and quite ironic (or pathetic) that he stands out on the field during every home game and accepts huge checks (6 million plus this week I believe) on behalf of different groups donating to support athletics.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:54 am

If Turner card about athletics he wouldn't have farted around with Copeland, uncompetitive model, "The Committment" lie, etc. He cares exactly as much as the Board tells him to care.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby 78pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:48 pm

For the past 4 years at least, rgt has stopped by my tailgate to shake hands about 2:15 hrs before game time.

He has not been in my neck of the woods at our, or two other neighbors whom he also visits with, tailgates a single time this year.
78pony
Heisman

Postby PK » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:11 pm

stc9 wrote:Mrydel,
How strong did he look when JJ was spouting to the media that he had all the leverage in his relationship with SMU? How strong did he look when his head Football coach sat on his contract extension for 6 months? How professional did he look when the story was being floated that JJ didn't show up to the NYC Alumni event because he couldn't book a flight? How happy was 90% of PFs that they offered JJ another contract at all?

He was JJ's boss. How and when did he hold him accountable to his indifference towards recruiting? How and when did he take JJ out to help him sell the program across campus?

No, JJ wasn't his choice, but JJ was still his direct report. Like all bosses, you are responsible for your employees actions.

This is a basic problem with alumni paying a coach's salary. The real boss is those that sign the check. The AD can't just go out and fire someone if it is going to mean the folks writing the check have to pay more unless they are willing to do so. It is a slippery slope with the alums continuing to pay the salary...hopefully they learned a lesson. If it was my money, JJ would have been gone three years ago, but then it isn't my money...

Oh BTW, Hart must have had some effect as AD as JJ suddenly had a recruiting blitz this year. Might have got JJ thinking about retiring.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby footballdad » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:29 pm

78pony wrote:For the past 4 years at least, rgt has stopped by my tailgate to shake hands about 2:15 hrs before game time.

He has not been in my neck of the woods at our, or two other neighbors whom he also visits with, tailgates a single time this year.

Only shows face now to trot out onto the field to collect those big checks. Laughing inside as he puts millions in his own pocket.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:53 pm

smumustang1980 wrote:
03Mustang wrote:Do us all a favor and stop posting, 1980. From your ridiculous "you heard it here first" garbage to this, you don't have a clue. We all hate this, but it isn't on Hart.

Amusing... children.

what does that even mean?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Junior » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:58 pm

78pony wrote:For the past 4 years at least, rgt has stopped by my tailgate to shake hands about 2:15 hrs before game time.

Have seen him at mine several times this year.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby 78pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Y'all must harass him too much and he quits before he gets all the way down to me. I'm a single digit guy so I could be close to the port-a-potty.
78pony
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:11 pm

footballdad wrote:

Only shows face now to trot out onto the field to collect those big checks. Laughing inside as he puts millions in his own pocket.

He and Gail have always been at the men's hoops games on campus, even in the dog years.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:40 pm

bottom line is that the A.D. needs support from the President and Board (in terms of financial commitment) or is otherwise dependent on the Circle of Champions when it comes to the football budget. I'm not privy to details, but it certainly appears the highest levels of SMU's administration probably see our football program as a bad investment. I tend to agree Hart saw what was coming and turned up the heat on JJ who in turn went public last year during the contract negotiations that were clearly all about running him out after this season. I think JJ's ego had him convinced those bowl games were his ticket to being HC here as long as he wanted to be. It's part SMU's fault, though. I hated that "June cometh" campaign that probably began his Messiah complex
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football