PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rick Hart, you own this disaster...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rick Hart, you own this disaster...

Postby couch 'em » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Come on man, talk to people who are in the know. He wasn't given the funding to get rid of June. Best he could do was to renegotiate to make it possible to fire this year. Which he did.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 pm

couch 'em wrote:Come on man, talk to people who are in the know. He wasn't given the funding to get rid of June. Best he could do was to renegotiate to make it possible to fire this year. Which he did.

That's the understanding I had, however Hart should have made it very clear to Turner that June wasn't recruiting, wasn't committed and therefore it was time for SMU to pony up instead of relying on donors. Ken Starr down at Baylor gets it. Turner doesn't, or is awfully late in awakening to reality.

We are all frustrated. Let's hope Hart makes the right decision in December. The rest is water under the bridge and hopefully a lesson learned.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Ken Starr hasn't done jack [deleted] to build that program
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby couch 'em » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:17 pm

I don't think you'll get too many disagreeing that Turner is, at best, apathetic toward athletics. It is the attack on Hart that is unfair
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Anyone who knows anything about turner knows he is not apathetic about sports. That is just not true.

You can't fire the coach when a couple of your key trustees don't want to fund the buy out. Y'all are looking at the wrong spot for blame.
gostangs

Postby 2ndandlong » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:07 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMU2007 wrote:Not sure how we are supposed to have all that much sympathy for a guy who was part of the problem in the first place.

Remember, he's a good man.

And thorough
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby stc9 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 pm

couch 'em wrote:I don't think you'll get too many disagreeing that Turner is, at best, apathetic toward athletics. It is the attack on Hart that is unfair

Again, I like Hart. I really like some of the things he has done. However, he carries some responsibility for what is going on at SMU. If he couldn't fire JJ, the option was not financial available, then he needed to find a way to manage him to make him as productive as possible. That is why he carries he carries some of the responsibility.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:19 am

You are uninformed. He did exactly what you are criticizing him for
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:44 am

stc9 wrote:If he couldn't fire JJ, the option was not financial available, then he needed to find a way to manage him to make him as productive as possible. That is why he carries he carries some of the responsibility.

LOL. You are a joke. Hart already knew that Jones wasn't going to do a damn thing. That's why he tried to get rid of him but he couldn't just because there were a few folks with the financial strings who thought June was still worth something. You seriously think June was going to be "more productive" with Hart trying to micromanage him?
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby jpe747 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:45 am

This is what happens when a committee of people are in charge of the athletic program. In some ways it is a plus and in some ways it is a negative. I don't believe Hart was in charge. I suggest JJ became great friends with the right people...just a guess. But, all of the whining and griping by avid fans and alumni didn't matter when "Mr. Miracle Worker" takes SMU to bowl games. And, last year was a financial decision (just a guess) that no one expected to turn out so badly.

As for talent, I'm one of the guys who thinks there is some talent on the field but who's gonna play hard when you are loosing EVERY game by 40 or more? SMU football players have got it rough. I'm sure its hard to get up for a game.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby 78pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:35 am

gostangs wrote:Anyone who knows anything about turner knows he is not apathetic about sports. That is just not true.

You can't fire the coach when a couple of your key trustees don't want to fund the buy out. Y'all are looking at the wrong spot for blame.

That would be a big fat wrong. Go ask any of the Mustang Club Board members at the meeting where turner addressed them and said that a 6-6 record was fine, maybe you get a 7 win season or so occasionally...

Turner - 19 years. Zero FB or bball conference championships. Poised for 2nd winless season. Building buildings - A+. Athletics - viewed as marginally necessary evil - F.
78pony
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:02 am

78pony wrote:
gostangs wrote:Anyone who knows anything about turner knows he is not apathetic about sports. That is just not true.

That would be a big fat wrong. Go ask any of the Mustang Club Board members at the meeting where turner addressed them and said that a 6-6 record was fine, maybe you get a 7 win season or so occasionally...

Turner - 19 years. Zero FB or bball conference championships. Poised for 2nd winless season. Building buildings - A+. Athletics - viewed as marginally necessary evil - F.

Agree 100%
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:06 am

gostangs wrote:nobody wanted to pay off Junes salary plus pony up for the next guy. Everyone saw that except for about 3 COC who are now finally on board. Hart saw this coming.

Some wanted to pay off June's salary and pony up BUT CoC went with Paul Loyd's recommendation. Hence, the return of June. June was as surprised as anyone. Unfortunately, Hart's hands were tied... so-to-speak.
Bergermeister

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:16 am

Bergermeister wrote:
gostangs wrote:nobody wanted to pay off Junes salary plus pony up for the next guy. Everyone saw that except for about 3 COC who are now finally on board. Hart saw this coming.

Some wanted to pay off June's salary and pony up BUT CoC went with Paul Loyd's recommendation. Hence, the return of June. June was as surprised as anyone. Unfortunately, Hart's hands were tied... so-to-speak.

I remember you saying only 1 COC member did not want June back.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyKai » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 am

2ndandlong wrote:
sbsmith wrote:
SMU2007 wrote:Not sure how we are supposed to have all that much sympathy for a guy who was part of the problem in the first place.

Remember, he's a good man.

And thorough

The writing is atrocious. You can only imagine what happens next.
PonyKai

PreviousNext

Return to Football