PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rick Hart, you own this disaster...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rick Hart, you own this disaster...

Postby SMU2007 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Not sure how we are supposed to have all that much sympathy for a guy who was part of the problem in the first place.
SMU2007
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:24 pm

couch 'em wrote:This Hart Casper stuff is crazy. He has made all the right moves except firing June end of last year, and everyone who has a clue what went on knows why. It wasn't that Hart wanted him here.

Had he fired JJ after his 5-7 season Hart would have been destroyed by the same majority that JJ fooled. It is not realistic to think Hart should have fired the only winning coach we had seen after a 5-7 year so soon into his tenure.

I wish he had though.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:28 pm

SMU2007 wrote:Not sure how we are supposed to have all that much sympathy for a guy who was part of the problem in the first place.

Remember, he's a good man.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby 03Mustang » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:32 pm

redpony wrote:+1 This is truly on turner, casper and the CofC. The result of their refusal to act after the ASU fiasco is what we have today. The buyout at that time likely pales in comparison to the damage that has occurred to our fball program and our university.

It's not a coincidence that you and 1980 are the only two that agree on this idiotic thread. You are making an [deleted] of yourself with the "casper" crap. Give it a rest.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fifty » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Dudes posting anonymously on an internet forum calling someone else casper? Hmm.
fifty
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 pm

03Mustang wrote:[ It's not a coincidence that you and 1980 are the only two that agree on this idiotic thread. .

So you disagree that our cost in lost reputation, lost fball ticket sales, lost donations, national standing, etc. since the ASU fiasco is significantly less than $5 mil. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Sure hope you are in the accounting business.
redpony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:04 pm

Not dealing with the ASU fiasco was on RGT and the COC. That may have set the program back 5 years.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby fifty » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:05 pm

So hart should have fired june in his first month on the job? or after we made another bowl?
fifty
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:08 pm

IIRC he was hired well before the end of last season. Wasn't he also here when tiki was given an extension? IMO the AD is the one who gives coaches contracts, extensions etc.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Yeah. Where was Hart when the Ebola breakout started. Must be his fault. Anyone knows that any other AD at Tennessee Chatanooga would have fired Jones after the ASU fiasco.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby stc9 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:12 pm

There are several people that carry the blame for this fiasco.
1) June Jones mailed it in for three years. Now that the results are showing up on the field, he fled to the Hawaiian Islands. The man is a tremendous coward.
2) Rick Hart could have pulled the contract extension offer to June last December. That was 100% within his control. He is doing a lot of good things now, but he alienated a lot of our fan base and made himself look weak.
3) RGT: He is the captain of the ship. Everything that goes on at SMU is his responsibility. The complete degeneration of the Athletic Teams is his fault - either through poor leadership, poor hiring or indifference he is ultimately responsible for the outcome.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Totally disagree with #2. He renegotiated the contract to have a reasonable out this year. Smart move. Looks strong to me.
mrydel

Postby stc9 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Mrydel,
How strong did he look when JJ was spouting to the media that he had all the leverage in his relationship with SMU? How strong did he look when his head Football coach sat on his contract extension for 6 months? How professional did he look when the story was being floated that JJ didn't show up to the NYC Alumni event because he couldn't book a flight? How happy was 90% of PFs that they offered JJ another contract at all?

He was JJ's boss. How and when did he hold him accountable to his indifference towards recruiting? How and when did he take JJ out to help him sell the program across campus?

No, JJ wasn't his choice, but JJ was still his direct report. Like all bosses, you are responsible for your employees actions.
stc9
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:48 pm

I think he handled himself about as well as could be expected. Jones is gone and anyone coming in knows that we gave Jones every chance possible to succeed. A boss that fires every employee every time they make them upset will soon not have anyone worthwhile working for them. I for one will judge him based on what he does with his team, not how he handled a mess he was handed.
mrydel

Postby stc9 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:00 pm

mrydel wrote:I think he handled himself about as well as could be expected. Jones is gone and anyone coming in knows that we gave Jones every chance possible to succeed. A boss that fires every employee every time they make them upset will soon not have anyone worthwhile working for them. I for one will judge him based on what he does with his team, not how he handled a mess he was handed.

Like I said. I like a lot of the things that Rick Hart is doing. I'm not calling for his head on a platter. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned. BUT, but as the man in charge of the Athletic Dept. He carries the burden of responsibility it is literally in his job description.
stc9
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football