PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How Mason was named coach

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How Mason was named coach

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Ya'll idiots keep jawing at each other about the legal nature of the announcement, the whole time ignoring the actual issue here.

You, as an administration and athletic department, are handed a situation where your head coach decides to "resign" during the season. You anounce the replacement coach (DC, associate HC, ball boy...prior position doesn't matter)prior to any discussion, conversation, or discussion with him. Hell, you don't even offer the common courtesy of a reach-around to this guy before you trot out his name.

Ignore any legal issues. This is a perfect example of institutional disregard for employees. This shows that the administration, Turner, and Hart are so disorganized and confused with basic leadership concepts that it never actually occurred to them that they should at least notify Mason he was to be named head coach. I could care less what his title was as given by JJ. I could care less what the legal precedent for contract law is regarding this. What I care about is, this cadre of morons pulled a stunt that is more often found in kindergarten than any organization where a level of education and skill and employment history are required.

So yes, the way this thing went down is important because of what it tells us about the administration and how they run things. To say it is immaterial is to imply that there is nothing inherently wrong with a chain-of-command that expressly, through their actions, neither cares for their employees enough to inform them of major decisions that affect them nor believes they are beholden to those employees any more than a child is attached to a diaper. You wonder why this team is in the [deleted] and why JJ was allowed to take it there? You wonder why ED and others either remain silent or reacted negatively to this situation? You wonder why this team has quit to a level possibly never seen at this level? Because Turner and Hart (I don't think Hart had a prominent role in this at all, all Turners play, but he should have notified Mason before the presser) showed they could care less about the leader of the program who was tasked to somehow start turning around the season. If they care so little as to not notify the new head coach of his position before throwing that info out into the public square, then the players know they won't blink an eye when they get the chance to jettison them.

It's not rocket science people. Then again, you can't litigate leadership, so I don't expect some to understand. And I know this is a long post...get over it. There is nothing illegal or binding about it that negates or violates a contract, so I am sure you can all deal with it.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

The sad thing is no matter how it happened all of the coaches are in a situation like Hitler, where they just don't have the resources to combat the opposition, and their fate is resigned to defeat after defeat until the inevitable end.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Boo hoo poor Tom Mason for having to accept the job he was BEGGING for a couple of hours later. He probably just wanted to negotiate a few extra bucks. You guys are incredible for buying this poor little Tom Mason bit. I bet he wasn't complaining about being highest paid Assistant on the staff or his title of Associate Head Coach. I can't wait to get rid of all these guys
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 pm

You know, I didn't read this thread outside of the original post, but having read through it now, I have to say I agree with puckhead and am surprised more people aren't saying the same thing.

I have fired plenty of people in my time. Never have I publically replaced them with an existing employee without talking to that employee first, regardless of title or expectations.

We're talking a simple 1 hour conversation. Are they really so busy that they can't do that. Tells me where their priorities are. You realize that first conversation could be a wonderful pep talk were you can get some good insights. Not doing so is simply bush league. And my personal example is a terrible one because this is such and unique high profile job.

Reflects terrible on Turner and more so Hart IMO.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Stallion wrote:Boo hoo poor Tom Mason for having to accept the job he was BEGGING for a couple of hours later. He probably just wanted to negotiate a few extra bucks. You guys are incredible for buying this poor little Tom Mason bit. I bet he wasn't complaining about being highest paid Assistant on the staff or his title of Associate Head Coach. I can't wait to get rid of all these guys

Your love of Turner and the utter disorganization displayed in this shows through by linking the act to Mason and his resulting statements and completely inept coaching performance. Doesn't matter what he says after the fact...it matters that they didn't even have the professional courtesy or personal integrity to make a 30 second phone call before announcing it.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:37 pm

PK wrote:
JasonB wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:It's a shame JJ doesn't have to answer for this mess. I assume Mason and JJ are good friends but this is a very sorry thing to do to a friend.

Agreed on that point, and also agree with the points around mason as a HC, as much as I really like the guy.

But to name someone interim coach without talking to the guy first is a really big knock against Hart and Turner. That is awful management. Absolutely horrible. And stories like that are what will impact our ability to hire a top tier coach regardless of how much money is on the table.

If we start hearing about people turning down the job or accepting other comparable positions over ours, keep that story in the the back of your mind.

One thing to consider...Hart and Turner may have been under the impression that June had talked to Mason before recommending him in his letter of resignation. It's possible.

No offense PK, I like you as a poster....but who the F cares what JJ's thinks, says or does.

He sabotaged this program.

If I was the AD, I would put zero trust in anything JJ.
SoCal_Pony

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Last edited by 03Mustang on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 pm

I just think it's ironic that certain people are suddenly more than willing to criticize the school and administration when given a slight opening but they were never willing to do so when Jones clearly deserved it. Maybe Hart and Turner have a "different" way of managing...you know, like JJ had a "different" way of recruiting that none of us understood or could appreciate. :lol:

We only know what Mason is saying, a guy who is clearly in over his head here and had everything to gain by blaming others for his unfortunate situation. Everyone's credibility is shot here....time to move on.
Last edited by 03Mustang on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:40 pm

No the truth is I was one of the few that never wanted June jones in the first place. The overwhelming majority of SMU fans just loved June Jones and praised Turner for hiring June. They praised the decision of the C. of C. to engage the unique salary funding plan. This was the greatest thing since the DP. Now you want to turn around and say that Turner is responsible for June's complete face plant and for the failure of the C. of C. to ponyup with the funds to escape from their mistake. Particularly tiresome from some of the June bootlickers now pointing finger at Turner.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:47 pm

03Mustang wrote:I just think it's ironic that certain people are suddenly more than willing to criticize the school and administration when given a slight opening but they were never willing to do so when Jones clearly deserved it.

Everyone's credibility is shot here....time to move on.

This has nothing to do with JJ (95%+ hopefully think he's a POS) or Mason (I don't dislike him, but certainly want SMU to rid themselves of everyone associated with this regime).

This has everything to do with the professionalism of our President & AD. They certainly deserve the criticism on this point. And then the bigger question, how much do they care about the program. That is open to legitimate debate.
SoCal_Pony

Postby footballdad » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:27 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
03Mustang wrote:I just think it's ironic that certain people are suddenly more than willing to criticize the school and administration when given a slight opening but they were never willing to do so when Jones clearly deserved it.

Everyone's credibility is shot here....time to move on.

This has nothing to do with JJ (95%+ hopefully think he's a POS) or Mason (I don't dislike him, but certainly want SMU to rid themselves of everyone associated with this regime).

This has everything to do with the professionalism of our President & AD. They certainly deserve the criticism on this point. And then the bigger question, how much do they care about the program. That is open to legitimate debate.

Any truth to the notion thrown out on this board more than once, that Turner is on the verge of retiring himself?

We all know now with 100% certainty that June was a huge mistake the last 3-4 years, but it also seems from everything I've read and heard about Turner that he is equally as bad for the football program. I don't care one bit about the endowment or new fountains, I'm specifically talking about his impact on the football program?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:49 am

Stallion wrote:The overwhelming majority of SMU fans just loved June Jones and praised Turner for hiring June. They praised the decision of the C. of C. to engage the unique salary funding plan. This was the greatest thing since the DP. Now you want to turn around and say that Turner is responsible for June's complete face plant and for the failure of the C. of C.

I know this will be a bitter pill for many to swallow, but the fact is that hiring June Jones was the very best possible outcome as a successor for Bennett.

If you will recall, Orsini and the search committee completely bungled the search for a head coach. Every single qualified candidate we offered turned us down. The one and ONLY reason we landed Jones is because he backed himself into a corner with the administration in Hawaii and even then we had to bend over backwards and pull every string we had to land him.

SMU's mistake was not in hiring Jones. Our mistake was being unwilling to PonyUp, accept the consequences, and fire him after the ASU fiasco.

I may be wrong, but I got the impression coming in to this year that Jones and the staff was reinvigorated. That they were actually getting off their butts, making some waves and signing some good kids. Problem is, evidently, that the damage was already done. Too many years of giving 'ships to friends' kids, diamonds in the rough, and not competing for playmakers.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:56 am

Yeah I'm 100% sure you never expressed that opinion. Ever until after June was gone

Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:00 am

Stallion wrote:Yeah I'm 100% sure you never expressed that opinion. Ever until after June was gone

First time I have heard that as well from him.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:25 am

Well I'm glad we've got people keeping track of such things
RGV Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football