PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How Mason was named coach

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How Mason was named coach

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:25 am

He did the same thing at Hawaii, writing them a dear bruddah letter suggesting his successors
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:35 am

He wasn't fired from Hawaii.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 am

I'm aware. I meant wrote a letter suggesting successors rather than letting the people responsible handle it

Also I guess I could say he didn't get fired here either
RGV Pony

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:43 am

They indeed handled it. They just arrived at the same conclusion-to hire the Associate Head Coach. I'm miss the mystery in this
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyPride » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:47 am

RGV Pony wrote:And I believe he was #7

Rutledge's jersey number?
3 (I think)
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 am

Stallion wrote: SMU does not have a single DB who is an average Division 1A player

You got that right. All smurfs.
Bergermeister

Postby couch 'em » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:50 am

I have to agree with Stallion. He was already the associate head coach. That automatically makes him head coach when June leaves. This is a non issue
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:10 pm

As the associate HC, I'm certain most all schools would've named Mason the interim HC. The thing I find strange is JJ would have any say on that decision.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PK » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:35 pm

JasonB wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:It's a shame JJ doesn't have to answer for this mess. I assume Mason and JJ are good friends but this is a very sorry thing to do to a friend.

Agreed on that point, and also agree with the points around mason as a HC, as much as I really like the guy.

But to name someone interim coach without talking to the guy first is a really big knock against Hart and Turner. That is awful management. Absolutely horrible. And stories like that are what will impact our ability to hire a top tier coach regardless of how much money is on the table.

If we start hearing about people turning down the job or accepting other comparable positions over ours, keep that story in the the back of your mind.

One thing to consider...Hart and Turner may have been under the impression that June had talked to Mason before recommending him in his letter of resignation. It's possible.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby SMU89 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:It's a shame JJ doesn't have to answer for this mess. I assume Mason and JJ are good friends but this is a very sorry thing to do to a friend.

We already had one "overhead projector meeting"
SMU89

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
Stallion wrote: SMU does not have a single DB who is an average Division 1A player

You got that right. All smurfs.

You can be a smurf and still have talent. Just because they are tall doesn't make them D1A talent. JJ recruiting supporters try to twist things. Stallion has a good point.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:14 pm

JasonB wrote: YES it is the coaching staff's fault that we are inexperienced in the secondary.

It is not inexperience but as Stallion said that it is a lack of talent. JJ did not recruit many good players.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU2007 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18 pm

I think the secondary has gotten a few seasons worth of experience this year.
SMU2007

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:27 pm

couch 'em wrote:I have to agree with Stallion. He was already the associate head coach. That automatically makes him head coach when June leaves. This is a non issue

I think we had like 12 associate head coaches. Wasn't Morrison one as well? Or is that just Offensive Coordinators :wink: .

June should have talked to Mason BEFORE putting his name in his resignation letter.

But the bigger issue is that as a management team, how do you name someone successor without talking to them first? Can you imagine a VP leaving and then publicly announcing the promotion of a director into that spot without talking to the person first? That is awful, regardless of whether or not you think it is a no-brainer for someone to take the position. Hell, I am talking to the Director just to make sure we are on the same page and he is on-board, because I actually care about the performance of the organization in the short term.

If a leadership team doesn't at least talk to the guy to make sure he is on board before making an announcement, it is completely disrespectful and it also shows that you really don't give a crap about what happens this season.

If the press found out about it and talked about it during the game, the kids sure as hell know about how things went down, whether that came from Mason or someone else. And that might explain how horrible the last two games were after some of the positives that came out of ECU.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:12 pm

You are just being silly. The act of an employee who is not an official officer of a corporate entity is not binding on a corporation. In this case a recommendation by an employee was ratified by the governing management. You got this yet? This has absolutely nothing to do with the performance on the field.
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football