PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How Mason was named coach

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How Mason was named coach

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm

I don't think I have told this story before, but since the announcers said mentioned it, might as well lay it out there:

Here is what happened, from what I understand:

1) June writes a letter for his resignation. Names Mason interim coach.
2) Hart and Turner announce to the team that June resigned and Mason is the interim coach. That is the first time Mason found out that he was the interim coach.
3) Hart and Turner have to spend the next several hours convincing Mason to be the interim coach, because they had already publicly announced it to the team and press. Mason loves SMU, but was reluctant because he was named interim coach in the past for a bad team and it really damaged his career.

The defense is obviously awful, all of the missed assignments, bad tackling and just open spots on the field make it look like PB's last year. And that is all on the DC. But I do feel bad for how Mason was treated in that process.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How Mason was named coach

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:09 pm

I don't think any of us are blaming Mason for this mess, but he's been with the program since June arrived so I think most hoped he would be able to do more than he has done. Bottom line is that there is a reason why he has never made it to the head coaching level
Charleston Pony

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:13 pm

one of Junes biggest faults was his loyalty to older guys who were basically washed out as coaches. Instaed of getting rid of the worst 10 % of his staff every year, he collected everyone else's worst 10%. We were stacked to the rafters with these guys.

Mason seems like a good person. He will be fine. I am more concerned with the players. Hate this for the seniors, and even the juniors - although seeing a breath of fresh air will probably be fun for them. But getting to next Sept 1 already feels like about 5 years away.

Hope whoever takes this on can also help us change our loser mentality. A little pride would go along way on the Blvd.
gostangs

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:16 pm

It's a shame JJ doesn't have to answer for this mess. I assume Mason and JJ are good friends but this is a very sorry thing to do to a friend.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby redpony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:23 pm

we need to remember that Mason was not one of tiki's first or second choices for DC. After he was turned down several times he finally approached Mason. Mason is not one of tiki's guys. However, that doesn't make the situation any better.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:26 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:It's a shame JJ doesn't have to answer for this mess. I assume Mason and JJ are good friends but this is a very sorry thing to do to a friend.

Agreed on that point, and also agree with the points around mason as a HC, as much as I really like the guy.

But to name someone interim coach without talking to the guy first is a really big knock against Hart and Turner. That is awful management. Absolutely horrible. And stories like that are what will impact our ability to hire a top tier coach regardless of how much money is on the table.

If we start hearing about people turning down the job or accepting other comparable positions over ours, keep that story in the the back of your mind.
JasonB

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm

i remember that - he really wanted that other Hawaiian guy (of course) - mc-loser or whatever his name was. Ended up taking HC hawaii job.
gostangs

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm

The defense is atrocious, and Mason recruited those kids. He's well paid and there's no excuse on that side of the game.

It's amazing how a few players like Gilbert kept us from the abyss...
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Mason recruited all the defensive players-he's more to blame for the horrible defense than any other person. These players are HIS players. This was one of the worst secondary performances I've seen in a long time. Busted coverages all day long. As I said before the season, SMU does not have a single DB who is an average Division 1A player
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonySnob » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Is Mason being paid June's salary while he's the head coach?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Stallion wrote:Mason recruited all the defensive players-he's more to blame for the horrible defense than any other person. These players are HIS players. This was one of the worst secondary performances I've seen in a long time. Busted coverages all day long. As I said before the season, SMU does not have a single DB who is an average Division 1A player

That is right. Mason told someone else about the story that JasonB is perpetuating apparently trying to gain sympathy. JasonB is trying to do damage control for Mason. When Jones resigned what else were they suppose to do? Talk to the QB Coach? This will not affect us in getting another coach as JasonB has indicated.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:41 pm

He did well with Acker and Crawford, etc - just stopped trying to recruit as well? Acker and Crawford were nice. Reed and Davis were pretty darn good. Have nobody of that caliber at all.
GiddyUp

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:42 pm

And the main topic is absurd if true.
GiddyUp

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Stallion wrote:Mason recruited all the defensive players-he's more to blame for the horrible defense than any other person. These players are HIS players. This was one of the worst secondary performances I've seen in a long time. Busted coverages all day long. As I said before the season, SMU does not have a single DB who is an average Division 1A player

how can you say that about a bunch that JJ said looked like an NFL secondary???
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 pm

GiddyUp wrote:He did well with Acker and Crawford, etc - just stopped trying to recruit as well? Acker and Crawford were nice. Reed and Davis were pretty darn good. Have nobody of that caliber at all.

Hundlley recruited Reed and Davis not Mason.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Football