PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How Mason was named coach

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How Mason was named coach

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Wow, if this is true how do announcers find out?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:17 pm

smumustang1980 wrote:The defense is atrocious, and Mason recruited those kids. He's well paid and there's no excuse on that side of the game.

It's amazing how a few players like Gilbert kept us from the abyss...

So true.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:19 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Wow, if this is true how do announcers find out?

Mason told them
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:20 pm

mrydel wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Wow, if this is true how do announcers find out?

Mason told them

Well, that will do it.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:26 am

Not protecting Mason. He is certainly culpable. Just giving a heads up about the administration. I think it is information we should all be aware of moving forward.

As for the secondary, please allow me to remind you of the following:
- McCann gave up 7 TDs in a game against OSU when he was a frosh, and really was a disappointment until his Jr/Sr year, which he finally "got it" and played well. Everyone thought Bell was a better player at the other corner.
- Crawford and Moore were both "wasted" pickups from JUCOs that nobody had heard about. Neither one of them made a huge impact the first year, but both of them had terrific senior years.
- Acker was kind of okay the first couple of years on campus. He was solid his junior year and outstanding his senior year.

YES it is the coaching staff's fault that we are inexperienced in the secondary. Not cutting them any slack at all. But a lot of the stuff we are running into is blown coverages. Don't give up on the corners just yet, because I think they are going to be good players by the end of their time at SMU. History has shown that the corners don't really play decent in this defense until they are juniors and then turn it up an extra notch when they are seniors. Don't know why that is the case, and it is probably a coaching/scheme issue, but it certainly seems to be a trend.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:35 am

I am most likely wrong but I do not remember McCann being the one being burned by OSU. Doesn't really make a difference in your overall post but are you sure it was him? That was a disaster to watch.
mrydel

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:44 am

Let's assume this version of events is accurate. Is the implication of this thread that the administration mishandled the situation?

If so, I'm not sure it's clear if the problem stems from: (1) June naming Mason as interim without Mason's knowledge; (2) The admin knowingly announcing that Mason was interim to press and players without Mason's buy-in; or (3) some combination of both. In other words, perhaps the admin assumed wrongly that June had spoken to Mason before naming him interim. If so, is that mishandling or just an incorrect assumption that led to a misunderstanding?

The only thing I'm certain of is that June Jones sucks.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:50 am

The entire thread is stupid. Who cares. 100% of knowledgeable SMU fans would presume Mason would be the successor. He was "Associate Head Coach". He wants to be called Associate Head Coach then he shouldn't [deleted] about replacing Head Coach who quit. I think less of Tom Mason because apparently he had to be persuaded not to Cut n Run himself. Stand up to your duties as next in line. Who else would take over from the Hawaiian Quitter
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:50 am

mrydel wrote:I am most likely wrong but I do not remember McCann being the one being burned by OSU. Doesn't really make a difference in your overall post but are you sure it was him? That was a disaster to watch.

Jonas Rutledge
RGV Pony

Postby EconPony'10 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:51 am

JasonB wrote:Not protecting Mason. He is certainly culpable. Just giving a heads up about the administration. I think it is information we should all be aware of moving forward.

As for the secondary, please allow me to remind you of the following:
- McCann gave up 7 TDs in a game against OSU when he was a frosh, and really was a disappointment until his Jr/Sr year, which he finally "got it" and played well. Everyone thought Bell was a better player at the other corner.
- Crawford and Moore were both "wasted" pickups from JUCOs that nobody had heard about. Neither one of them made a huge impact the first year, but both of them had terrific senior years.
- Acker was kind of okay the first couple of years on campus. He was solid his junior year and outstanding his senior year.

YES it is the coaching staff's fault that we are inexperienced in the secondary. Not cutting them any slack at all. But a lot of the stuff we are running into is blown coverages. Don't give up on the corners just yet, because I think they are going to be good players by the end of their time at SMU. History has shown that the corners don't really play decent in this defense until they are juniors and then turn it up an extra notch when they are seniors. Don't know why that is the case, and it is probably a coaching/scheme issue, but it certainly seems to be a trend.

Not to burst your bubble or anything but McCann came in as a freshman with me in 2006. In 2004 when SMU played OSU he was still a junior in HS. I don't think anyone really thought he was a disappointment either. Moore always played well as far as we were concerned... As for Acker, I graduated the year before he came to SMU.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:06 am

RGV Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:I am most likely wrong but I do not remember McCann being the one being burned by OSU. Doesn't really make a difference in your overall post but are you sure it was him? That was a disaster to watch.

Jonas Rutledge

That's the name I heard 7 times.
mrydel

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:11 am

And I believe he was #7
RGV Pony

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:12 am

that was just a 6-4 WR out-jumping a 5-9 CB on lob passes in the corner of the endzone on most of those TDs . Physical mismatch.
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby docabel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:12 am

Why is Jones naming the interim coach in the first place?
docabel
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:18 am

docabel wrote:Why is Jones naming the interim coach in the first place?

Great question. While I believe Mason was the best choice, it's very odd that JJ would have any say in the decision.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Football