PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How Mason was named coach

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How Mason was named coach

Postby ebrooks11 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:29 am

RGV Pony wrote:Well I'm glad we've got people keeping track of such things

Very important stuff
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby PK » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
PK wrote:One thing to consider...Hart and Turner may have been under the impression that June had talked to Mason before recommending him in his letter of resignation. It's possible.

No offense PK, I like you as a poster....but who the F cares what JJ's thinks, says or does.

He sabotaged this program.

If I was the AD, I would put zero trust in anything JJ.

Don't disagree with you. Just threw that out there as a possibility. I'm not sure any of this whole story is true or if true, totally accurate. If I understand the original poster, it was reported by the TV announcers...and they know because someone told them...??

BTW...no one is happier than me to see JJ gone...should have been much sooner.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby yakastang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Before we lay the wood to Mason to hard from a HC perspective remember that his HC standing is somewhat figurative in nature. Though he was allowed to bring OL help, did see some improvement there, he wasn't allowed rid himself of Morrison or bring in other offense help. Hands tied. So same old J.J. system that the players and coaches did not fully understand but from a guy that never called a play in 18 years.
How many HCs do you know that would even take on a screwed up system like that. Hats off to Mason for trying.
Probably not a great outcome for hid resume however. Good luck to him and Jamie.
yakastang
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:45 pm

I'd say about 100% of Associate Head Coaches in this situation would take over if offered the job-and about 1% would act like a little [deleted] and complain about it behind the President's back. But hey I don't follow college football that much
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby yakastang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:15 pm

True Stallion, I was referring more about head coaches walking into a situation like this and not being able to put their own personal in place and were they had little authority. Tough job being put in this place but most assist. coaches would do so for the team and it's their job.
yakastang
Recruit

Postby ericdickerson4life » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Stallion is completely correct.

As for Mason not having much authority. Who then has the authority? The assistants run the ship? If Mason couldn't figure out how to change something he desperately wanted to change then he's not the right guy to run a program, even a high school program.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Watching the exact same scheme and June Jones playbook take the field every week is maddening to say the least. This is the biggest indication to me that Mason is now simply coasting to the end of the season as well. If everyone here pretty much knows what plays are coming based on down and distance, not too hard to figure that opposing DC's and defenders can see what's coming as well.

I figured a few wins still possible in a league with Tulsa, UConn & USF, but 0-12 looking much more likely if we are just gonna ride this to the end with the same playbook.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football